• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Trooper Laziuck.

10/4. Thanks. I doubt that I'd have much luck with the informal review so I may as well shoot for the moon and go to the HPRB.

You'd be surprised. I got my permit after my informal review and after I had Knaub taken off of my application. He could not understand that I was self-employed and thus a business owner. I was assigned to Knaub's superior, John Casey, and he was very professional and we had a great meeting.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'd strongly recommend you speak with MR. McCauley to see if maybe he has any ideas that can help you.

And, I'd look here too:http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4077526&postcount=307

The nuts and bolts of it address your specific request, whether or not it's binding and can be used as precedent in front of the board, I don't know.

Also, I'm not a lawyer, and... NOT giving legal advice. :thumbsup:

That particular case overturned MSP for requesting any reports BECAUSE MSP failed to recognize the applicant was a member of an assumed rish profession and constitutes a "police officer" under Md Cod 2-101(c)(8) of the criminal procedure article.

Not the lack of reports of threats. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    That particular case overturned MSP for requesting any reports BECAUSE MSP failed to recognize the applicant was a member of an assumed rish profession and constitutes a "police officer" under Md Cod 2-101(c)(8) of the criminal procedure article.

Not the lack of reports of threats. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

I read it that they were requiring him to provide documentation of his threats rather than his spoken account. If he we going to be disapproved based on just NOT being some kind of "special police", why did the HPRB (and then courts) get into the details of any threats or lack thereof?

Also looks like the HPRB declined to participate in the proceedings. Why is that, if they are paid through taxpayer funds, shouldn't they be required to show up and testify on the boards behalf?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    And follow up comment/question:

Is there a list of "assumed risk" professions somewhere, or, is it a "we know it when we see it" case by case judgement call on the part of the MSP?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I read it that they were requiring him to provide documentation of his threats rather than his spoken account. If he we going to be disapproved based on just NOT being some kind of "special police", why did the HPRB (and then courts) get into the details of any threats or lack thereof?

Also looks like the HPRB declined to participate in the proceedings. Why is that, if they are paid through taxpayer funds, shouldn't they be required to show up and testify on the boards behalf?

MSP required him to submit documentation BECAUSE they did not consider him in an assumed risk profession (MSP did not consider him a police officer). The courts smacked MSP hard for not recognizing him as a police officer per state statute definition, and thus in an assumed risk position.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    MSP required him to submit documentation BECAUSE they did not consider him in an assumed risk profession (MSP did not consider him a police officer). The courts smacked MSP hard for not recognizing him as a police officer per state statute definition, and thus in an assumed risk position.

Do you know if the permit was restricted and issued specifically for duty as an spo?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    And follow up comment/question:

Is there a list of "assumed risk" professions somewhere, or, is it a "we know it when we see it" case by case judgement call on the part of the MSP?

Look at the list on page 5 of this document for a "list" that is not limited to:

Attachments

• 29-05.docx
      43.6 KB · Views: 52

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Do you know if the permit was restricted and issued specifically for duty as an spo?

We, as the public will never know the actual restrictions, but if it the permit was issued to him as a police officer (As defined by 2-101 of the criminal procedure article), then his restrictions would be: Off Duty hours while maintaining employment as a police officer with any recognized law enforcement agency. (MD ONLY) (Not VALID where firearms are prohibited.) per MSP SOP 29-15-007.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Ordered that Petitioner Michael Fisher's request for Order of Default is GRANTED; Further ORDERED that an Order of Default is entered against the Handgun Permit Review Board and the Board will no be permitted to participate in the hearing on 10/13/15 at 1:30pm unless the default is vacated prior thereto. Clerk is to send notice of Default (ROSS). Copies mailed to Timothy Maloney Esq, Matthew Bryant and Handgun Review Permit Board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom