• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    So this is my first foray into .223. Using IMR 4064 with a 50 grain pill calls for 25.1 grains of powder or 1.87 cc. My issue is that im approaching 23-24 grains and im pretty close to the top of the case. At 25 its completely full and i'd need to compress the powder to seat the bullet. I keep checking my scale to see if its wrong, but its perfect.

Note: using the lee perfect powder measurer. The micrometer showshigh i think.

My scale is very accurate so i trust it over the micrometer

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 446

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I'm too lazy to go find my reloading manual but a google search says that everyone else agrees 25 gr fills up the case. Compressed loads aren't as bad as you might think, but that looks like it would be tough to seat the bullet.
    Some guys have had success using a long 4" drop tube.

I'd say get some H335, it meters wonderfully. Lots of people have success with other ball powders and I am sure they will chime in.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Bit of a commute for me, but i'll look for it locally. Thanks

Took a shot in the dark with Bruno's :o , but that aside - H335 is definitely a good one to try.

Meters well, burns clean, has been rock-solid for me in different loadings - from 40gr varmint grenades to 75gr match rounds. Bolt gun, AR's, it just works.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I've loaded many .223 & 5.56 cases with 24 to 24.5 grains of IMR4064 behind 55gr bullets. 4064 will fill the cases and it shoots OK. Personally I prefer Varget in my rifles.

Most of the extruded powders will fill a .223 case at midrange charges. That volume doesn't necessarily mean a compressed load.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    The other thing im having trouble with is tearing rims off. I lost probably 20 cases to torn rims. Lubed inside and out My sizeing /depriming die does not like them.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Allsorts. I cant narrow it down to any one headstamp thats failing. I pick out all the crimped primer brass and dont use that. So its all commercial 223. Im using that lyman spray on lube.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Dillo I shoot 77gr SMK with 23.8gr of varget and they are compressed, work up slow just to be safe.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    If you're ripping rims you need to get a case gauge to check shoulder bump: could be setting the sizing die too far down. As for using extruded powder, you have a trickler, right? Also, I hope you hung on to that crimped brass. Ream it out w/ 3-4 turns of a deburring tool and it'll be the best brass you'll have.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    IMR 8208 XBR is my go to powder for my 55 grain pills, 23.5 grains.
    I save my IMR 4064 for my 308 and my 243.

I bought the 4064 for 8mm mauser. Never thought id do 223. Wasnt sure the the time spent reloading 223 would be worth it. Still probably isnt, but its good fun. And it makes liberals cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom