• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Any .22 will be a good choice.

I have had better luck teaching females to shoot revolver then semi's.

Lately All I've been shooting is .38 & .357 that's because I can cast my own bullets and reload them.

Ill cast another vote for Ruger. I have a Mark III and its a fun gun to shoot with pretty good accuracy, but as others have noted dis-assembly is a little more involved than others.

As far as getting ammo. If you have a smart phone and can keep an eye on sites like slickguns or MDS you can find it for a little less than 10 cents a round, but you have to be quick. Last week I got a box of Winchester 333 rds for 25 shipped and a box of Federal 325 for 24 shipped from Cabelas.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    All these pages and nobody has mentioned Marlin 60 yet?

The Marlin is cheaper than a 10/22 and normally, marginally more accurate out-of-the box. You can tune a 10/22 to get it as accurate or better than the Marlin 60 using aftermarket parts, but if you just want something cheap and stock - get a Marlin 60, unless you hate the tube-fed magazine.

That said, the 10/22 comes in a takedown version that is pretty slick. If I were shopping for a .22 right now I'd either get a Marlin 60 or a 10/22 takedown.

In pistols, I have an SR22. I love it, but I am not sure it is the easiest pistol for a novice shooter. Short barrel, the DA trigger is rough, etc. That gun will punish mistakes in fundamentals - it is not a particularly easy gun to shoot tight groups with. That is one of the things I like about it - you can't screw up much at all without it really showing on the paper. Just what you want in a training pistol. But I can see a novice getting frustrated with the inevitable targets that look like they were hit with a shotgun blast.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    There are sooooo many .22lr semi auto's that are nice. I love my 10-22, and USED to love my SGS 522SD which looks like a MP5 but in .22lr, Palmetto State Armory has them on lsae now for only $299 or $319 with a sliding stock, ( which is the next one I buy :-), there is the Mp-15-22, GSG Ak 47, the GSG STG44 replica, Uzi replica, and now a MP40 .22lr replica that looks really cool. Just pick one, as you cannot go wrong with any of them, also, the Walther M4 replica is good sold as the COLT AR15.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    the Walther M4 replica is good sold as the COLT AR15.

Is that the one actually made by Umerex? Also sold as the Colt .22 AR. If so, almost nothing is interchangeable with real AR parts. So you can't put in a nice trigger.

The S&W MP 15-22 is a MUCH better choice.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Eliminate the Colt/Walther/HK 22 ARs from consideration as they are only ARs in looks. While they shoot half decent they have no AR parts so you can't customize them for your particular use. A good .22 AR upper if you have an AR, a S&W 15-22 or a Sig 522 are much better choices. For pistols I like Browning Buckmarks because they have a couple of frames (URX/UDX) that feel much better to shoot for people with smaller hands than any Ruger except for the MK III 22/45 which is pretty close.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    I'll be taking her this weekend to see what she likes and go from there

I still have yet to see 22lr ammo anywhere, so that might turn me away from buying a 22 for her

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I still have yet to see 22lr ammo anywhere, so that might turn me away from buying a 22 for her

It started to show up about 2 weeks ago. Still rationed but I have been able to pick up a box here and therere, even minimags. I guess you just can't expect to buy it by the brick for a while, 40 AE here, 100 minimags there. How many rounds do you really need to teach someone to shoot ? Whenever I have taken training with someone, I use a lot less ammo than shooting by myself.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Eliminate the Colt/Walther/HK 22 ARs from consideration as they are only ARs in looks. While they shoot half decent they have no AR parts so you can't customize them for your particular use. A good .22 AR upper if you have an AR, a S&W 15-22 or a Sig 522 are much better choices. For pistols I like Browning Buckmarks because they have a couple of frames (URX/UDX) that feel much better to shoot for people with smaller hands than any Ruger except for the MK III 22/45 which is pretty close.

This would be my suggestion. Like my Buck Mark better than my Rugers MKII and III. The 15-22 is hard to beat for a rifle.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'll be taking her this weekend to see what she likes and go from there

It's around if you look. Some on here but way over priced.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had a stock 10/22, a built HBAR 10/22, a Remington 597. Sold all of them. The built 10/22 handled like a centerline carbine, the other two showed indifferent accuracy - okay, not exciting. Tried the Marlin 795...its a keeper. It is accurate, reliable, pleasant, fun to shoot, trigger is a little rough but I'll get to that eventually. So now I have a bolt, lever and semi auto 22 LR long guns.

Handguns in 22LR are a whole 'nuther subject. Huge selection of goods guns to be had there.

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    Saw a 500rd brick of CCI standard at the Howard County gunshow for $145. :lol2:

But on a serious note, it's hit and miss. If you're willing to stand in line, early in the morning at walmart, bass pro, etc... than you can acquire ammo at reasonable prices. Otherwise, you either rely on luck to come across some, or pay the inflated second-hand prices.

Online vendors go out of stock pretty quick on the inexpensive stuff, but target ammo can be found. But then you have to pay for shipping.

You can even find CCI minimags online for under $65 a brick delivered, if you keep looking. CCI is not a must. Armscor has very useable 22lr HV ammo @ $48 a brick, delivered price. Use Gunbot.com to familiarize yourself with the active market. :)

BrotherOfTheRepublic

Jun 27, 2014
    Baltimore County
    If you want a cheap, reliable, and plain .22lr, go with a Marlin 795. I have one, I love it, and that's what I recommend. You can get it brand new for about $160, if you're lucky you can find one used for about $100. If you want a little more expensive gun that you want to customize, go with the Ruger 10/22. If you want ammo you'll either have to get lucky and find it at a store or you're going to have to pay a bit more to buy it online. If you can't find any online, try going here. http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

JosephIV

Rifle - Savage bolts are good for the money. Or Marlin Model 60 Semi-auto or equivalent Marlin model. I've had a Model 60 since 1986 and it hasn't skipped a beat. With a price around $160-170 it's tough to beat. Ruger 10/22 is a proven gun.

Pistol - I have a Walther P22 and it shoots very well. Has been a good gun for the money. Also have a Browning Buckmark. Good gun but it was more expensive and I surprisingly like the Walther more. Might be because the Walther action feels smoother to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom