• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    I've taken a lot of new shooters to the range. I'm talking, never even seen a gun in person, new. I always start them out with a 22lr or a 17hmr. Very little to no recoil and quiet. Slowly work their way up until they feel they want to stop.

Handgun - Ruger MK II/III/SR22
    Bolt action - Savage MK II, CZ 452, Savage 93r17 (or any 17 hmr)
    Semi-auto - Ruger 10/22, S&W MP15-22

These are what I use to teach new shooters. I know 22lr is still hard to find for some people, which is why I recommend a 17hmr. I can find 17hmr anywhere. It's more expensive to shoot, but it's not ridiculous. Also, the 17hmr is insanely accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

gc27

Aug 5, 2014
    Calvert County
    Browning buckmark. Ive put about 1200 rounds through mine with only a couple stovepipes early on. I blame that on the standard velocity armscor. Ammo is easy to find online for 8-12 cents per round. If you check ammoseek frequently at work you can find it for 5-7 cents but you have to be quick because it doesn't last long!

4Prosales

" Who's YOUR Daddy NOW "
    Nov 3, 2009
    JMO .. I just got a Ruger 10/22 stainless break down for a very reasonable price. Bought some extra rotary mages shoots fine and will last for ever. Ruger is a great value and reliable 22 lr . Now for ammo... It's been 3 months since I purchased 22 lr because of the rip off prices being charged. Well Dicks sporting in GB and Crofton have remington 525 box for $25.00 bucks 1 per customer...bring friends.. I got 6 and I'm firing away...Good Luck

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a Ruger MK I T-678 I bought in 1981 and it is still a very accurate pistol. Also love my 10/22. Have always wanted one of the CZ semi-auto rim fire rifles; that might be a good choice for a 17 HMR.

Get a Ruger 10/22 rifle and a Ruger Mark I, II, or III pistol. You will have two of the most fun 22s available.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    To this day, I still have not seen one box of .22 ammo anywhere...

I'd love to get a 22, but the scarce ammo is ridiculous. I give up

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You use the internet to do firearms research, but you don't make orders through the internet?

There's been a few MDS threads in the past week where one could order 22LR for less than 10cpr, no tax, and $0.01 shipping. Granted it might be 200-300 rounds depending on how many orders you put in, but it's really minimal effort and cost. There have also been MDS reports of different MD retailers with plentiful 22LR stocks. I'm happy to order through the internet because it's less of my time, and whether or not my local Walmart has it in stock is of less consequence.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Cabelas has CCI and Remington right now (just placed another order).

One box of each per order. If you pick something off the 84PENNY sale, you can get 1 cent shipping.

Kadath

Sep 30, 2013
    So what's the scoop on buying semi-auto .22s post sb281? Just federal check nothing state centric? Can I buy at Cabelas in DE and bring home to MD without issue?

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    No I didn't push the issue. They were pretty busy and I was on my way out. I can't force them to take my money

The gun was a pretty good price though. $70 bucks off, $430 out the door and no tax

Kadath

Sep 30, 2013
    Hmmm thanks. I will stop in on my way from nj and see what they say. Any idea if they have the Ruger 50th special edition?

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    I'm not sure if they had the ruger. Sorry

It's funny because the guy mentioned to me something about the magazine capacity makes it unlawful to sell to MD resident, but yet I bought 30 round pmags.... Great logic

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Cabelas online also had federal 22lr 325 round boxes. Limited to one box, but I ordered one. Not sure if still in stock

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I love my .22 Marlin 60. Friend had a Savage Mark II bolt action that was also great and is on my list.

So far as handguns, I tried pretty much every one that Freestate offered as a rental and settled on the Beretta Neos as my "ideal .22 handgun." It's gonna be a while before I can afford one though.

What I liked about it was that it was very easy to load the magazine into the gun. I really struggled to load the mags in the others I tried, the worst of which was the Ruger Mark III. The Browning Buckmark wasn't much better for me. Love me the Neos!

I have taken a few friends shooting who've never shot before and we always start with the .22lr rifle, followed by a .22lr handgun. We then move to shooting a .38sp revolver, which is a manageable amount of recoil for most of us (all female, btw)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom