• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    OP, you do know that there are only about 8-10 companies that manufacture uppers, right? This is not an issue you have with Aero, it is an issue you have with those companies. What is the forging mark on the upper?

I'm not saying Aero is 100% innocent in this, but you have to remember that they have uppers made for them, by one of those 8-10 companies and it came from the factory with that defect, then it is the fault of the forgers QC department.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just ziptie it closed and see if that fixes it.

JB Weld, it's easier to color black to hide it. ;)

(Not a real suggestion.)

ETA: And yeah, that's a supplier issue there. Aero may have missed it when they inspected components from their supplier. Try to get a picture of the uppers forging stamp, above the forward assist - then we can figure out who supplied it to Aero.

Feb 28, 2013
    Am I wrong in thinking that ANY knucklehead outfit that makes upper receivers should know how a ****ing dust cover is supposed to function?

Since these yahoos apparently don't, they won't have to worry about getting any business from me.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Am I wrong in thinking that ANY knucklehead outfit that makes upper receivers should know how a ****ing dust cover is supposed to function?

Since these yahoos apparently don't, they won't have to worry about getting any business from me.

The right answer is, "really, a notch? Send me a picture. Ooooo that's a problem..."

UPS return label and off she goes.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'm not saying Aero is 100% innocent in this, but you have to remember that they have uppers made for them, by one of those 8-10 companies and it came from the factory with that defect, then it is the fault of the forgers QC department.

I don't think you understand what the raw forgings looks like. Aero does the machining in that area. It is their machining problem and theirs alone. Here is what a raw upper forging looks like:
    FWIW, I've had excellent products and customer service from AP.
    Edit: it looks like your door isn't closing far enough. Is the door too big to fit flush inside the lip? Can you take a pic w/ a white sheet of paper inside the opening so we can really see how much they machined.
    upper-forgings.jpg

9491raw_upper.jpg

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I don't think you understand what the raw forgings looks like. Aero does the machining in that area. It is their machining problem and theirs alone. Here is what a raw upper forging looks like:
    Edit: it looks like your door isn't closing far enough. Is the door too big to fit flush inside the lip? Can you take a pic w/ a white sheet of paper inside the opening so we can really see how much they machined.
    upper-forgings.jpg

9491raw_upper.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427425019.050666.jpg

First picture is with the paper inside the receiver.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427425095.722443.jpg

Same piece of paper slides right down into the receiver. With me holding down the dust cover.

I looked on their website and they are not selling the complete upper anymore. Idk of its out of stock of being sold. Or they realized they have a problem

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    upper-forgings.jpg

9491raw_upper.jpg

The door is slightly rubbing against the shell deflector. But its minimal contact.
    In my earlier posts I really think it's this outer "cut out" that is causing the problem. If it wasn't there the detent would be pushed down locking the dust cover in place.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    That outer cut on the ejection port is present in the pics, with the link you sent me. How far in have you tried to push the DC? I know on my EA upper, I have to push it farther in than I have to on a forged upper, for the DC to lock in place.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The right answer is, "really, a notch? Send me a picture. Ooooo that's a problem..."

UPS return label and off she goes.

Yea I don't understand why I am getting transferred to someone else. And like I posted its sold out now. So I am gonna be out a upper when I send It back.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    That outer cut on the ejection port is present in the pics, with the link you sent me. How far in have you tried to push the DC? I know on my EA upper, I have to push it farther in than I have to on a forged upper, for the DC to lock in place.

I've tried pushing it on until my thumb tuned white from the pressure. But look at the gap from the dust cover to the upper. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427425808.763043.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427425816.662586.jpg

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Have you swapped the DC with a different one to see if the DC is out of spec? It does happen sometimes.

I don't have a extra ar10 dust cover laying around. The 556 one is considerably smaller. I stopped in my local LGS and their armorer confirmed that the upper was out of spec. I even asked about the dust cover and was told that wouldn't fix it.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The upper is repackaged and ready to be sent off. Hopefully they email me or call me tomorrow before 5 so I can get my money back or a new upper on the way.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    View attachment 147017
    First picture is with the paper inside the receiver.

This pic was the one I was looking for. It looks correct. The notch does NOT go all the way though and the lip is still there. The external notch is purely cosmetic and NOT your problem. The ball detent on the cover is supposed to go PAST that lip and catch on the backside. There should be a little scallop on the back side (inside) of the lip to make it thinner. I think I can even see it in that pic. I think your door isn't closing fully. Whether the door is too big, the ball detent is too stiff, or the bottom hinge pin is in the wrong location, you'll have to figure out. There is actually supposed to be a small ramp on the outside of the lip so maybe they didn't make the external one deep enough? I can see the mark where the ball is starting to hit the lip. That should have a slight ramp. But that outer large notch looks fine.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Maybe its just me but I fail to see why there is a thread here? So you had a dust cover issue with an upper? So far it looks the manufacturer will take care of the issue? Yet there is a need to blast them openly on the internet? If thats the worse problem you run into when dealing with guns, count yourself among the very lucky few. I have had issues 100X worse and managed not to post a rant about it. Come on man, stop wasting our time. Everyone screws up. Let them make it right and be happy! When an upper blows up in your face, then thats post worthy!

I had been looking to buy their product in the future. If this is the worst they got going... then I have no fears in ordering from them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom