• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Maybe its just me but I fail to see why there is a thread here? So you had a dust cover issue with an upper? So far it looks the manufacturer will take care of the issue? Yet there is a need to blast them openly on the internet? If thats the worse problem you run into when dealing with guns, count yourself among the very lucky few. I have had issues 100X worse and managed not to post a rant about it. Come on man, stop wasting our time. Everyone screws up. Let them make it right and be happy! When an upper blows up in your face, then thats post worthy!

I had been looking to buy their product in the future. If this is the worst they got going... then I have no fears in ordering from them!

Look I've stated multiple times I'm not bashing aero at all. And if I wanted to post a thread about this I will so as I please. If you feel like I posted this unjustly that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. You don't see me up in arms about it. The reason I posted it is also to make sure I'm not wrong about there being a issue with the upper. If it was a simple fix as a new DC as states above that could have helped me without having to send this upper back. Maybe I jumped the gun with my title being "aero rant" but it is what it is and I cant change it. Finally if you don't like what's being posted change the channel and live In your world where other people can't post on a public fourm.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    .... Maybe I jumped the gun with my title being "aero rant" but it is what it is and I cant change it. Finally if you don't like what's being posted change the channel and live In your world where other people can't post on a public fourm.

There you go... If you had posted "dust cover fit issue on Aero Receiver" thats a totally different store. However your first posts come off like this has been some horrible thing that has happened. I thought I was going to find a reason to rule out Aero from consideration as I look to buy a few uppers. Instead it looks like Aero is taking care of you and there is no issue. So don't "falsely advertise" and I will not need to change the channel. I am glad you cooled down from your rant. Good luck with it. I don't see anything sticking way out to me. However I will take a second look.

The first picture in post 31 appears to show the DC completely closed. Is it?

I noticed the marking where the ball is hitting receiver. Does the ball push all the way down into the machined piece? Is the machined piece on the back side of the DC hitting?

In other words, is the door closing all the way and not staying closed or is the door not closing all the way?

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    There you go... If you had posted "dust cover fit issue on Aero Receiver" thats a totally different store. However your first posts come off like this has been some horrible thing that has happened. I thought I was going to find a reason to rule out Aero from consideration as I look to buy a few uppers. Instead it looks like Aero is taking care of you and there is no issue. So don't "falsely advertise" and I will not need to change the channel. I am glad you cooled down from your rant. Good luck with it. I don't see anything sticking way out to me. However I will take a second look.

There was nothing " falsely advertised" in my entire post. Aeros company's tech just told me on the phone that sometimes it takes a dust cover time to settle. According to him it's s common thing.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County

I noticed the marking where the ball is hitting receiver. Does the ball push all the way down into the machined piece? Is the machined piece on the back side of the DC hitting?

In other words, is the door closing all the way and not staying closed or is the door not closing all the way?

In the first picture it's not completely closed. I tried pushing it in with force and it still wouldn't close.

The ball does push all the down in the machined part. No parts of the DC are touching the the receiver. Minus a little bit of rub on the shell deflector.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I don't know. A miscut upper receiver assembly going out the door to a customer without so much as a functionality test? I would take issue with a company for sending that kind of crap work out to a paying customer. We're not talking about widgets here. What other obvious or otherwise mistakes go out unoticed?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    In the first picture it's not completely closed. I tried pushing it in with force and it still wouldn't close.

The ball does push all the down in the machined part. No parts of the DC are touching the the receiver. Minus a little bit of rub on the shell deflector.

So what is keeping the door from completely closing? Can you not tell? What other scrapping marks are you getting?

I thought it might be closing all the way but the ball was not keeping the door closed.

Does the DC door spring go into the ejection port? That does not seem right! None of mine do that. It that the issue?

I don't know. A miscut upper receiver assembly going out the door to a customer without so much as a functionality test? I would take issue with a company for sending that kind of crap work out to a paying customer. We're not talking about widgets here. What other obvious or otherwise mistakes go out unoticed?

You have no idea if the upper is miscut. Could be the DC or about 100 other things. You show me a company that has not sent out product that does not function and I will show you a company that is lying! Everyone screws up. Its how they take care of their screw-ups that determines how good of a company it is. A DC door is hardly something that could not be overlooked!

Feb 28, 2013
    There was nothing " falsely advertised" in my entire post. Aeros company's tech just told me on the phone that sometimes it takes a dust cover time to settle. According to him it's s common thing.

"It takes a dust cover time to settle"?:wtf::confused:

I hope the people machining those receivers are smarter than that numbskull you talked to.:sad20:

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    This pic was the one I was looking for. It looks correct. The notch does NOT go all the way though and the lip is still there. The external notch is purely cosmetic and NOT your problem. The ball detent on the cover is supposed to go PAST that lip and catch on the backside. There should be a little scallop on the back side (inside) of the lip to make it thinner. I think I can even see it in that pic. I think your door isn't closing fully. Whether the door is too big, the ball detent is too stiff, or the bottom hinge pin is in the wrong location, you'll have to figure out. There is actually supposed to be a small ramp on the outside of the lip so maybe they didn't make the external one deep enough? I can see the mark where the ball is starting to hit the lip. That should have a slight ramp. But that outer large notch looks fine.

I'm with smdub on this one. Also, the dust cover is not supposed to contact the shell deflector at all.

I have 2 Aero lowers the have OOS, wiggly trigger guards. Not a big deal, but QC should probably catch such things in a run of parts.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I'm with smdub on this one. Also, the dust cover is not supposed to contact the shell deflector at all.

I have 2 Aero lowers the have OOS, wiggly trigger guards. Not a big deal, but QC should probably catch such things in a run of parts.

Well the aero lower that I have is a AR10 lower. The trigger guard is integrated into the lower.

Meaning of OSS?

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    New update - I spoke with the original customer service rep again and I sent her about 20 pictures and explained what the issue is. I asked her to send me a return label so I can send this back to them and they can either fix it or send me another one. I'm gonna try to make a tiny mark somewhere hidden.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Am I wrong in thinking that ANY knucklehead outfit that makes upper receivers should know how a ****ing dust cover is supposed to function?

Since these yahoos apparently don't, they won't have to worry about getting any business from me.

I have 2 Aero Precision lowers and 2 Aero Precision uppers and they are all top notch.
    I'm thinking that this is a QC snafu. I bet they make it right.

Feb 28, 2013
    I have 2 Aero Precision lowers and 2 Aero Precision uppers and they are all top notch.

Well, here's to hopin' they do. :beer:

But judging by the runaround the man's been gettin', I ain't real confident.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County

I hope they make it right. They currently are out of stock of the upper so I am not sure what they are going to do. They sent me a shipping label but it's ground shipping lol. They will get it next week

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I hope they make it right. They currently are out of stock of the upper so I am not sure what they are going to do. They sent me a shipping label but it's ground shipping lol. They will get it next week

Gun companies with a bad CS department don't survive very long. Some of the best CS experiences I've ever had were with gun and reloading companies.

I snagged a Bushy O.R.C. back in 2008 and tried to put a rail on it, only to find that the barrel nut was bent on one of the teeth. Called Bushmaster up, the said no problem, what is your email address so we can send a label. About 30 seconds later I had a shipping label in my inbox, while I was still on the phone. I asked if I could send the rail back with it and if they would install it for me and the lady said they would, to ensure that it would mount properly. She also said it would be about a 4 week turn around time from when I shipped it to them, due to a SNAFU with a supplier. I heard the doorbell ring 10 business days later and there was a box from Bushmaster, sitting on my front porch and the UPS driver was motoring off. A buddy of mine told me that is normal CS for a good company in the firearms industry.

Give Aero a chance to make it right, I'm sure they will. Even though it says that the upper is OOS, companies will usually keep a handful around, in case warranty work needs to be done, between restock periods.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Here's my theory: dust cover malalignment was "massaged" with a deadblow hammer (thus the tool mark around the notch). Shoulder of. Detent mechanism impacted inner lip of port (thus impact mark in face of inner lip) and bowed the dust cover causing it not to catch. Mic drop! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427848202.455607.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Maybe its just me but I fail to see why there is a thread here? So you had a dust cover issue with an upper? So far it looks the manufacturer will take care of the issue? Yet there is a need to blast them openly on the internet? If thats the worse problem you run into when dealing with guns, count yourself among the very lucky few. I have had issues 100X worse and managed not to post a rant about it. Come on man, stop wasting our time. Everyone screws up. Let them make it right and be happy! When an upper blows up in your face, then thats post worthy!

I had been looking to buy their product in the future. If this is the worst they got going... then I have no fears in ordering from them!

I have had two firearms where they forgot to mill the feed ramp. :)

Both went back, were fixed and all is good.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Misscut receiver, bad dust cover, none of us knows because we are not holding the piece in our hands. My only gripe is sending it out the door that way and then poo-poo the customer. If I sent something out that didn't work as advertised, I'd have them send it back, ASAP (on my dime), and make it right.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    They did pay for return shipping. It just seemed like they didn't want to take it back. I emailed the customer service representative asking to be kept in the loop when they receive it and what is the problem. I emailed her around 11 and still haven't heard anything back. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I'm gonna start looking for a number to their corporate office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom