• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    S&W 442 or 642. I prefer 442 because it's flat black and less noticeable. Forget .357 in a subcompact, lightweight revolver. Recoil and hand sting is plenty with .38+P, especially 158gr. With .357, you'll feel like you broke your shooting hand after a shot or two. SP101 in .357 is fine if you don't mind the extra bulk and carry weight compared to lightweight J-frames.

Why do people think a .357 snubby is a range gun? They are a get business done gun out to seven yards, gun. You buy it, shoot five rounds through it and forget about it. Screw that sting. Sting in your hand to save your life is better than the burn of a blade or bullet going into you.

Ruger LCR .357 is quite possibly the best belly gun available.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Why do people think a .357 snubby is a range gun?

That person isn't me, if that's what you're implying. Not even close. Of importance, it's tough to control a high-horsepower, lightweight revolver under stress during SD if it recoils and muzzle flashes violently. Not all SD shots are belly. Not all situations end with a single shot. .357 is also more likely to leave you stone deaf. It's all about tradeoffs, plus and minus.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That person isn't me, if that's what you're implying. Not even close. Of importance, it's tough to control a high-horsepower, lightweight revolver under stress during SD if it recoils and muzzle flashes violently. Not all SD shots are belly. Not all situations end with a single shot. .357 is also more likely to leave you stone deaf. It's all about tradeoffs, plus and minus.

Ahhhhh. There goes the over thinking of inexperience. You're worried about hearing when it comes to living?
    I want my wife to land a first shot that makes the biggest, most damaging hole out of the starting gate. Nobody will lose their hearing permanently after a few .357 shots.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Why do people think a .357 snubby is a range gun? They are a get business done gun out to seven yards, gun. You buy it, shoot five rounds through it and forget about it. Screw that sting. Sting in your hand to save your life is better than the burn of a blade or bullet going into you.

Ruger LCR .357 is quite possibly the best belly gun available.
    Someone told me once, that they weren't impressed with my only shooting from 7 yards(21 ft.) with a short barreled handgun.:innocent0:poke:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    My choice, K-38 Combat Masterpiece. Not that expensive, original ones are all C&R eligible (production changed to Model 15 in 1957), and they are very, very nicely made revolvers. Predecessor to the Model 15 and 19. Only thing is most have 4 or 6 inch barrels though. :)

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I have a 5" S&W 686+ "Dealer Stocking Special," which is basically the Talo without the trigger job and purrrty grips. That is a fine Open Carry gun, but I myself was considering an SP101 snub for a deep carry option, that is until I saw this:

unnamed.jpg

If I can find a place that has one for rent, I may have to jump on one of these instead. Not a fan of the LCR's 2 finger grip, but this one may be a nice compromise between concealability, and controllable grip.

Good luck whatever you get!

PS - if you ever need an auto suggestion - I couldn't be happier with my M&P Shield. That's a damned flat gun, that still shoots really well!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That's beeeeeeauteeeeeeeefulllllllllllll. In 6 months after people have bought many of these they will come out with a hammerless one in .357

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    That's beeeeeeauteeeeeeeefulllllllllllll. In 6 months after people have bought many of these they will come out with a hammerless one in .357

I've been eying these and to be honest they are uglier then sin but if they make an extra ugly 6 inch version I'm in!,!!!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

I agree with the .357 version coming soon. Based on the history of the SP101 I doubt they will go hammerless though. My 3 inch SP 101 has a standard hammer while my 2.25 inch SP101 has the spurless/bobbed hammer.

I am partial to stainless revolvers. :D

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    My choice, K-38 Combat Masterpiece. Not that expensive, original ones are all C&R eligible (production changed to Model 15 in 1957), and they are very, very nicely made revolvers. Predecessor to the Model 15 and 19. Only thing is most have 4 or 6 inch barrels though. :)

Love me some stainless revolvers too. My love is boundless (LOL) as long as it is S&W.

Here is a Model 67-1 in .38 Special with a 4" barrel that I found on local consignment and picked up Saturday for $350. S&W stopped pinning barrels for this model in 1982, but this one does have a hammer nose. Serial number puts this gun as 1983-1984 manufacture.

The consigner was said to be a cop moving out of state whose wife told him to lighten the load for the movers. Yow.

Not for CC but another purty gun for Open Carry events in VA.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      95.2 KB · Views: 153

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    This thread has been a big help in my continued first revolver research!! I'm leaning toward a S&W 686+P.

I really like the look of the Talo models with non fluted cylinders but am not sure I'm crazy about the wood laminate grip that comes on it.

They also seem to come with a forged hammer and trigger, but is this really a big perk in the revolver world?

If I remove the grip and add my own custom wood, is the non fluted cylinder & forged hammer and trigger worth the extra cost on these models?

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Love me some stainless revolvers too. My love is boundless (LOL) as long as it is S&W.

Here is a Model 67-1 in .38 Special with a 4" barrel that I found on local consignment and picked up Saturday for $350. S&W stopped pinning barrels for this model in 1982, but this one does have a hammer nose. Serial number puts this gun as 1983-1984 manufacture.

The consigner was said to be a cop moving out of state whose wife told him to lighten the load for the movers. Yow.

Not for CC but another purty gun for Open Carry events in VA.

Damn that looks like a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom