• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks. Good to know.

I missed out on a Model 629 (no dash, no lock) not long ago. Don't want to make this mistake again. Have no idea why S&W doesn't walk away from these never used locks, especially as Ruger seems to sell their DA revolvers just fine without them.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Actually, S&W seems to have quietly run up the surrender flag on infernal locks.

I am seeing more current production models without them.

You watch...a total phase out will one day make the Hillary Hole Models collectible. Ugh

All right now...we have a big day at Lawyer's Mall...now GO TO SLEEP!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    :ohnoes: I just put a hurt in on the bank account and now y'all got ME thinking about my first revolver :D

That model 60 with a longer barrel is perfect. I hate the lock tho :sad20:

The ILS makes me cringe. I've only got one S&W with it and hate knowing it's there.

Have you handled a model 60? Kinda small, seeing how it's a J-frame. As time as goes on, I migrate towards larger and larger revolvers. My interests nowadays are mostly with large-frame S&W and Ruger. In medium frame, the Model 66 is available again (with ILS).

162662_01_md.jpg

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Actually, S&W seems to have quietly run up the surrender flag on infernal locks.

I am seeing more current production models without them.

You watch...a total phase out will one day make the Hillary Hole Models collectible. Ugh

All right now...we have a big day at Lawyer's Mall...now GO TO SLEEP!

You are right about the HH, I have a 642 that I bought in 2012 and has no HH.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I picked up a couple S&W J-frames with my C&R a while back; M36 Chief's Special, and M37, Chief's Special Airweight. Both had 3" barrels, which sort of gives you the best of both worlds; a bit more velocity and longer sight plane, along with a compact form factor.

Of course, you're limited to 5 shots, but they're tiny, cute and light. At any rate, an interesting alternative. I'm not convinced there's a significant increase in utility in the more recent trend toward short-barreled 357 over 38 special.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I picked up a couple S&W J-frames with my C&R a while back; M36 Chief's Special, and M37, Chief's Special Airweight. Both had 3" barrels, which sort of gives you the best of both worlds; a bit more velocity and longer sight plane, along with a compact form factor.

Of course, you're limited to 5 shots, but they're tiny, cute and light. At any rate, an interesting alternative. I'm not convinced there's a significant increase in utility in the more recent trend toward short-barreled 357 over 38 special.

I was surprised that there is still a big power differential for a 357 over a 38 +P from a short barrel ...

https://thedesertsedge.wordpress.co...lf-defense-rounds-for-the-snub-nose-revolver/

That being said, as a summer self defense tool, I would be comfortable with a 38 Special revolver, but if taking a hike in the wilderness, a 357 magnum revolver (or 357 Sig semi) would be more appealing.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have a 5" S&W 686+ "Dealer Stocking Special," which is basically the Talo without the trigger job and purrrty grips. That is a fine Open Carry gun, but I myself was considering an SP101 snub for a deep carry option, that is until I saw this:

unnamed.jpg

If I can find a place that has one for rent, I may have to jump on one of these instead. Not a fan of the LCR's 2 finger grip, but this one may be a nice compromise between concealability, and controllable grip.

Good luck whatever you get!

PS - if you ever need an auto suggestion - I couldn't be happier with my M&P Shield. That's a damned flat gun, that still shoots really well!

BTW I just played with this gun................HOLY CRAP. On my short list

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Its only a .38+p though?

For the time being......same thing with the LCR they didn't come out in 357 first they came out in the 38. Give them time to sell off the 38 stack they made. Then again the cylinder is so damn small and thin that I can't wait to see how they fix it.

Seriously though this is a carry gun!!! I bet it barks like hell though!

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    For the time being......same thing with the LCR they didn't come out in 357 first they came out in the 38. Give them time to sell off the 38 stack they made. Then again the cylinder is so damn small and thin that I can't wait to see how they fix it.

Have you shot a PF9 before?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Have you shot a PF9 before?

Hahaha yes and I recently got rid of my LCP

The rear target sight and front blade a mile in the air stink for carry, ignoring the exposed hammer.

Ehhh you should be fine, as long as the base of the holser is encolsed, IWB/OWB. If you pick one up it's like someone put a piece of paper in your hand, its so damn light. I really really really want a 6 inch version. I doubt that will hit the market because I'm probably the only one dumb enough to get sucked into a airweight 6 inch revolver but it would be so unique I'd have to own it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I still want a blued GP100 with the rosewood inserts and a 6 inch barrel. I think those are gorgeous handguns.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring

That's what I was thinkin - I'm all in when it comes in 357... :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom