• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    This and the subsequent IP threads were a bit to catch up with. Whew. I do believe that NateIU10 has a valid, enforceable point and the MSP is dodging the issue in the quoted replies posted on this thread. I don't know enough about the MSP office handling this sort of thing to know if this is conscious, incompetence and/or MOM directive based issue dodging.

If an individual were behind the ball and did not get that pre-10/1/13 purchase, then by all means they should do what is right for them. For most here who prepared with ample reserves, why not wait? The legislative action to close this down will take until 10/1/15.

The MOM administration has and will be with brown/frosh, enforcing to the letter of the law and leaving things unspoken intentionally to the detriment of our group. Why not do the same where we can? Lets push for cash-n-carry lowers through official channels.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Latest update:

"Sir,

I am sorry, I am not at my desk right now so I can not quote what section of MD code it is but the lower receiver is classified as a firearm. The complete assault weapon version of the AR-15 is banned but because the lower receiver is classified as a firearm and can still be built into legal firearms it was found to be exempt from the current version of the law. A 77R is required to purchase a lower receiver, an HQL is not. Multiple purchases can be made just as before. You can of course complete the weapon with a heavy barrel and sell it as a non-regulated firearm but a lower receiver sold on its own required a 77R. "

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    MSP doesn't seem to be able to even bother letting FFL's know of the policy change. I'm not surprised at their incompetence at all.

Ringling Bros as others have noted.

The 77R request for serialized lowers is in a way consistent with the handgun advisory board approving new AR pistols.

Keeping with this consistency, maybe the plan is to bring all non banned, detachable magazine, centerfire, semiautomatic rifles into the 77R fold in the future. If they're requiring a 77R for a lower that could be built into an HBAR, it's the first step to regulating HBARs beyond a NICS check. How much are 6721s these days?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    The problem is going to be getting big vendors like Palmetto State Armory on board. They're already confused as hell about our laws, this will only add to that confusion. They're going to need something published by MSP before they start shipping here, I would think.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Latest update:

"Sir,

I am sorry, I am not at my desk right now so I can not quote what section of MD code it is but the lower receiver is classified as a firearm. The complete assault weapon version of the AR-15 is banned but because the lower receiver is classified as a firearm and can still be built into legal firearms it was found to be exempt from the current version of the law. A 77R is required to purchase a lower receiver, an HQL is not. Multiple purchases can be made just as before. You can of course complete the weapon with a heavy barrel and sell it as a non-regulated firearm but a lower receiver sold on its own required a 77R. "

That's dumb, should be C&C but for Maryland that news is fabulous!!

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Latest update:

"Sir,

= A lower by itself is deadly and needs to be regulated. A lower as part of a fully functioning firearm with a little more steel in the barrel is a harmless object.
    That sounds very Maryland.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    And another dodge without citing any code, case law or reasoning of why a 77r is required. The last two sentences merely state what has been said before. I love those who fall back on rhetorical tautologies. Easy pickings.
    Thanks BBestPawn for your persistence! I'll have to check out your merch. on one of the rare occasions I am released from work and baby duties.

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The problem is going to be getting big vendors like Palmetto State Armory on board. They're already confused as hell about our laws, this will only add to that confusion. They're going to need something published by MSP before they start shipping here, I would think.

Why is that a problem? If PSA won't sell to MD, it's their business---I don't really care. A better option would be to support your local gun shop and buy from them. You can get everything you need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Latest update:

"Sir,

Huh? My head hurts.

You buy a lower, fill out the 77R, then put an HBAR on it and sell as non-regulated.

My head hurts.

May be MSP is thinking it can be finished into a handgun which is regulated, but may be the super moon affects the atoms in the lower and causes the alloy to be extra dangerous when finished as an HBAR, but still no HQL required.

My head hurts.

MSP does not want to admit it was wrong all these years for lowers requiring a 77R.
    And this has everything to do with the hearing next week. This is a way around getting
    their *ss kicked in court about the banned rifle list.

My head hurts.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Latest update:

"Sir,

That goes against what many dealers do with other types of lower receivers.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Why is that a problem? If PSA won't sell to MD, it's their business---I don't really care. A better option would be to support your local gun shop and buy from them. You can get everything you need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, if any IPs are responsible for this recent development, I'll be happy to buy lowers from them and or chip in for legal fees.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    maybe keeping them regulated will not allow out of state purchase

Federally, they cannot be purchased out of state. The Gun Control Act of 1968 only allows for the interstate sale of long guns, and only by a licensee. A lower is not a long gun, and can only be purchased within ones state.

Actually, if any IPs are responsible for this recent development, I'll be happy to buy lowers from them and or chip in for legal fees.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom