• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Steyr GB, CZ 75, Glock 21. I still have all three. Steyr no longer makes the GB, but they make some nice rifles.

They also make some nice pistols. I have a M9A1 and a L9A1. Great shooters. For some reason not very well known. Anyone who shoots tgem l8ves them.

Twofer

Regular Guy
    Dec 13, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Just one gun? What if I need a flower pot gun, or a candy jar gun, or a behind-the-drywall-in-the-hallway gun?

I've been moving more toward striker fired polymer frame guns as of late. Especially if you're carrying one on your hip, the light weight is very welcome.

I bought the M&P45 as a beater gun, but then it turned out to be exceptional. With Apex trigger and trijicon night sights has been my "bump in the night" gun for a while. It's extremely accurate, reliable, and 10 rounds of 45 caliber hydra-shok's will get it done.

But then I started to like the M&P, so for my new "don't care if it's in the evidence room" gun, I got a Glock 19 on a trade and put some triji night sights on it. I've had some FTF's with winchester white box rounds though. (A recock and second strike would set them off.)

I just picked up my new go-to gun, the HK VP9. It's accurate, super ergonomic, and can hold 15 rounds of 9mm.

One gun I absolutely love to shoot is the Springfield Armory 1911 MC Operator. Triji night sights, ambi safety, standard GI guide rod, and Pachmeyer rubber grips.

Any gun I'd consider using for defensive use gets trijicon night sights.

Otherwise there's a lot of good guns out there. I'm a big fan of the Sig 226 (especially the X-Five), CZ SP-01 (manual safety version), Beretta 92/96G (decock model), Glock 17/19/34, Any quality 1911 ($800+), Kahr CW9, among others.

I've got a few observations about certain models:
    - Beretta and CZ, double action is HEAVY!
    - HK USP's bite my middle finger when I insert a magazine
    - Jerichos, EAA Witnesses, and CZ's don't have a lot of slide to grab
    - Glocks are fine guns, but soul-less shooting appliances
    - Cheap 1911's are hit and miss, mostly miss
    - I've seen 2 Kimber 1911's break in half, literally
    - Stock trigger on the M&P is not good
    - The M&P 9 that I had was not very accurate
    - Snub nose revolvers are terrible
    - Revolvers are too hard to reload under stress to be considered for defense
    - The FNX9 was a bit disappointing, just didn't shoot that well for me
    - Fired the S&W 500 once, and handed it back to the owner
    - 44 mag Desert Eagles are way more fun than expected
    - 44 mag S&W Revolvers with wooden grips are way less fun than expected
    - The Five-seveN pistol is really loud, no recoil. Pretty accurate except for the heavy trigger

But for anyone looking to find "the" gun, expect to try a few before you find the one(s) that work for you. The conventional wisdom is to pick a platform and train on that. Well I'm not a soldier, I shoot because I like guns. So just have fun.

Attachments

• handygunpants.jpg
      handygunpants.jpg
      88.8 KB · Views: 78

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Lot of love for the Glock 17. Why none for a 19, mag capacity? I'll say my CZ P-01 is my favorite at this time but for all out reliability I'd have to go with my Glock, but I only have a 23 with a 9MM conversion barrel to go with it. And a handful of those 33 rd mags.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Do any of you really think you'll "scavenge" live ammunition? Really?

Well I guess it depends on what situation you are preparing for.
    The idea of "scavenge" means different things to different people. All the guys I shoot and "train " with we all went to Glock 17's as side arms for the
    easy of supply. Thought being if the need arise we are walking supply dumps.

Now, what no one like to bring up. Most law enforcement will be using 9mm so a down office is a source of ammo, Same as any National guardsman with a m92 or Military personal with a side arm is a potential ammo source.

Its the same reason why I will carry my Colt m4 and not a M1A .

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    Well I guess it depends on what situation you are preparing for.
    The idea of "scavenge" means different things to different people. All the guys I shoot and "train " with we all went to Glock 17's as side arms for the
    easy of supply. Thought being if the need arise we are walking supply dumps.

Now, what no one like to bring up. Most law enforcement will be using 9mm so a down office is a source of ammo, Same as any National guardsman with a m92 or Military personal with a side arm is a potential ammo source.

Its the same reason why I will carry my Colt m4 and not a M1A .

My thinking exactly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom