• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    If they institute a ID card to purchase ammo will you accept that? If they institute a license to purchase rifles will you accept that? If they institute an outrageous tax on ammo and accessories will you accept it? Where do you draw the line? If the state can get away with one barrier you don't think that they will stop there do you? For every assinine regulation we accept we embolden them to produce more. No HQL here. Sometimes you just gotta put your personal values on the forefront regardless of the outcome.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    ...Sometimes you just gotta put your personal values on the forefront regardless of the outcome.

My personal values is to legitimately acquire what I can before all that other stuff happens. If many of you think it's going to get worse, then why the hell are you waiting for that to happen?

If prices are going to go up, if a ammo tax is going to make ammo too expensive, if the HQL is a precursor to a firearm ownership license, do you think it's going to somehow be better later?

If you think NOT having a HQL is going to somehow make you immune to all the bad stuff you think is going to happen, you're smoking stuff that'll get your firearms taken away anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    If they institute a ID card to purchase ammo will you accept that? If they institute a license to purchase rifles will you accept that? If they institute an outrageous tax on ammo and accessories will you accept it? Where do you draw the line? If the state can get away with one barrier you don't think that they will stop there do you? For every assinine regulation we accept we embolden them to produce more. No HQL here. Sometimes you just gotta put your personal values on the forefront regardless of the outcome.

QFT

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The HQL is morally wrong and completely unconstitutional.
    And, if libs see a 75% decline in handgun sales, regardless of the reason why we don't obtain an HQL, they win.
    I say eff 'em!
    I got the HQL and will continue to buy. (Well...60 days after my last two lowers were picked up :)).
    Excercise your (now greatly restricted) right or lose it.
    In the meantime, we do what we can to change this state.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

My feeling is that this regulation wasn't really accepted. It was fought tooth and nail every step of the way by a lot of good folks. If not for that fight we would be one step closer to New York and Chicago, we are already riding on the coat tails of New Jersey. Losing a fight, to me, doesn't equal acceptance.

I'm actually very conflicted over the HQL. Part of me feels as though I should get it so I can say Fvck you, I don't care what I have to do, I'm going to continue on with my passion no matter what you make me do. I'm not giving up what I love to make a point.

But the other part of me worries they will use it as propaganda. "Look, it's not really that burdensome, if it was, we wouldn't have issued so many of them". Which will open the doors to more restrictions on things like ammo and who knows what else.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Soon for me it will be my last crack at the pistol I really want before it's out of my price point. Don't need no stinkin HQL.... yet but I suspect that will change sooner than later. :mad54:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

And your solution is to boycott. Thus achieving for them the one thing they most want and can't get per scotus.

Brilliant I will lose no sleep abandoning Maryland...

Hear this....we do not yet have the power to roll it back. We need at least 100 k in lawyers mall to do that.

Now I will not tell you to like it. I will not tell you not to fight it. I think we should give the court some time to rule before committing..

But when you are Boxed in you pick the least worst alternative..
    Maybe to you that means leaving MD fine..

But Do not think you are being played....

Life is full of lousey choices... get used to it.

tdant

Jul 31, 2012
    Get an HQL if you want. I have one. But don't get one to "support" MD gun shops as a whole. If you have a great local gun shop that you want to support please do, because we need more of the good ones. A1 has treated me the best out of any shop and I spend my money with them. However, if you have seen gun shops around the country even in bordering states, you will see that we have some of the worst gun shops. Much higher prices on nearly everything, huge transfer prices, many won't even transfer. I can buy a Glock in the suburbs of Ohio for $70+ less than what I paid for it at my local shop. When I bought a mossberg persuader for $450 ignorantly without shopping around at a shop in Rockville and nearly crapped myself when I saw the same shotgun for $300 at dicks in wheaton, I seriously questioned the "good bunch of guys" I was told to see in Rockville. It's my fault due to my ignorance and I took it as a learning lesson but it shows a problem that shops take advantage of customers. It's almost like MD shops have become like the used car salesmen of the gun community; always having to watch your back and wallet for a shady deal. MD gun shops feel like a monopoly controlling the market because the same culture and practices are found in many of them. The majority of shops were not our friends during the dreaded long releases of the pre 281 days. A high schooler could have read the MD code and figured out that it was legal to release in 7 days, but only a few shops had backbone to step out and start releasing. Dare I say some shops should go out of business. Support the gun culture, put the fuds out of business, and support shops that are good for the community.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    My feeling is that this regulation wasn't really accepted. It was fought tooth and nail every step of the way by a lot of good folks. If not for that fight we would be one step closer to New York and Chicago, we are already riding on the coat tails of New Jersey. Losing a fight, to me, doesn't equal acceptance.

I'm actually very conflicted over the HQL. Part of me feels as though I should get it so I can say Fvck you, I don't care what I have to do, I'm going to continue on with my passion no matter what you make me do. I'm not giving up what I love to make a point.

But the other part of me worries they will use it as propaganda. "Look, it's not really that burdensome, if it was, we wouldn't have issued so many of them". Which will open the doors to more restrictions on things like ammo and who knows what else.

Propaganda... who cares.... they will use the lack of applications as proof that everyone who wants a gun has one..

F..k the opposition. We play our game.. If they think we will refuse to get a Lic they will expand it ASAp so that they can achieve voluntary moritirum.

The court is not going to care once way orthe other.. thus will be decided based on the damage done to other fundamental rights..

The case in Ca on the waiting period is instructive.. in CA they have been incrementally regulated to death and the fight continues... Heller is a big deal..

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    Get an HQL if you want. I have one. But don't get one to "support" MD gun shops as a whole. If you have a great local gun shop that you want to support please do, because we need more of the good ones. A1 has treated me the best out of any shop and I spend my money with them. However, if you have seen gun shops around the country even in bordering states, you will see that we have some of the worst gun shops. Much higher prices on nearly everything, huge transfer prices, many won't even transfer. I can buy a Glock in the suburbs of Ohio for $70+ less than what I paid for it at my local shop. When I bought a mossberg persuader for $450 ignorantly without shopping around at a shop in Rockville and nearly crapped myself when I saw the same shotgun for $300 at dicks in wheaton, I seriously questioned the "good bunch of guys" I was told to see in Rockville. It's my fault due to my ignorance and I took it as a learning lesson but it shows a problem that shops take advantage of customers. It's almost like MD shops have become like the used car salesmen of the gun community; always having to watch your back and wallet for a shady deal. MD gun shops feel like a monopoly controlling the market because the same culture and practices are found in many of them. The majority of shops were not our friends during the dreaded long releases of the pre 281 days. A high schooler could have read the MD code and figured out that it was legal to release in 7 days, but only a few shops had backbone to step out and start releasing. Dare I say some shops should go out of business. Support the gun culture, put the fuds out of business, and support shops that are good for the community.

Exactly

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Propaganda... who cares.... they will use the lack of applications as proof that everyone who wants a gun has one..

F..k the opposition. We play our game.. If they think we will refuse to get a Lic they will expand it ASAp so that they can achieve voluntary moritirum.

The court is not going to care once way orthe other.. thus will be decided based on the damage done to other fundamental rights..

The case in Ca on the waiting period is instructive.. in CA they have been incrementally regulated to death and the fight continues... Heller is a big deal..

Oh yeah, I agree with you. In some way this is a win win for them. Lack of applications shows that everyone who wants one has one and don't need any more. Lots of applications, they can say it's not a burden to anyone.

I am currently exempt from it because of my retired military status but I would get one if I needed to.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    As I said, the more folks getting the HQL, the better case the State has of defending it in court. We shouldn't want this! The state can say, "Hey, we're issuing tons of them in short periods of time. We aren't infringing on a right because the demand is being met and the holders can buy handguns."

We've had a year of Marylanders buying handguns left and right, up and down. If all of a sudden the sales stopped after the HQL requirement, a grievance would be easier to declare in court. It'd be obvious that the HQL is preventing handgun ownership from the public, something the SCOTUS observed as a fundamental American right in Heller. The case against the HQL looks really weak if everyone is getting them just fine.

The HQL disenfranchises thousands upon thousands of Marylanders with its requirements, especially for those who need to seek training. The more blatantly obvious this is, the better. The more a FFL can show that their handgun sales have decreased due to the requirements, the better. I refuse to support the State's scheme.

I know for fact that I would not be a handgun owner now if I needed the HQL to buy one.

I'm not about to go take a test or pay a fee to vote either.

2n3904

Dec 26, 2012
    MoCo
    TL;DR - I'll never get a HQL.

I own three pistols and two rifles. I bought my last pistol from my LGS before October 1st. I won't be buying pistols under the HQL, but I'm planning to do another rifle in '14.

To those of you that own sufficient arms to protect yourself and your family, I strongly urge you to wait on purchasing another pistol until we can remove SB-281. Yes, I'd love to get an M&P shield, but I'm not going to bow to tyranny. There are other things I can buy until then to keep my hobby and LGS' alive.

To those of you that have no means of protecting yourself, my heart goes out to you. I won't judge you for getting a HQL, but I'd much rather you go see Andi and the good folks at Del. Smigiel's office to see what you can do to help the fight.

To those of you who own multiple guns, and ran out on day one to get your HQL so you can continue to buy guns, I'll be blunt. You have a selfish mentality: "As long as I can buy guns for myself, I don't care what happens." You aren't "fighting" for your rights, you're giving them up without a bat of an eyelash. Sure, there are dire times when you need to play along--but none of us have a proverbial gun to our head right now. When you bow to tyranny, you validate its existance.

I feel for our LGS', but if you absolutely have to buy another gun so badly that you run out on day one, my advice is this. Leave the state. You are no good to us here, and you're simply validating SB281.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    As I said, the more folks getting the HQL, the better case the State has of defending it in court. We shouldn't want this! The state can say, "Hey, we're issuing tons of them in short periods of time. We aren't infringing on a right because the demand is being met and the holders can buy handguns."

We've had a year of Marylanders buying handguns left and right, up and down. If all of a sudden the sales stopped after the HQL requirement, a grievance would be easier to declare in court. It'd be obvious that the HQL is preventing handgun ownership from the public, something the SCOTUS observed as a fundamental American right in Heller. The case against the HQL looks really weak if everyone is getting them just fine.

The HQL disenfranchises thousands upon thousands of Marylanders with its requirements, especially for those who need to seek training. The more blatantly obvious this is, the better. The more a FFL can show that their handgun sales have decreased due to the requirements, the better. I refuse to support the State's scheme.

I know for fact that I would not be a handgun owner now if I needed the HQL to buy one.

I'm not about to go take a test or pay a fee to vote either.

Sorry but that's nonsense. The court will not give a crap either way. If they bless licences on that basis its still a win for us because the court will have set the bar... it will put an upper bound on restrictions. It will also open the door to licensing voting... BTW that's what registration is... and its not going anywhere...
    It will give us voter id as well..

Learn the hard way.. NY and Nj did. If the court back this we have no choice... and someday soon you will need a Lic to possess as well. The only thing you can do is get 100k in lawyers mall.

Once again only Ss makes the HQl go away. IS makes it a fig leaf that does not do what its proponents want. RB will leave it be no mater what..

None of this depends on how many Lic are granted. If only on person is denied the statute is infringing. The delay alone is infringing... you are aggrieved from the day you apply till the day received be it 1 day or 30 years.. the court knows this.. it will either hold as much or set an upper bound...

The rest of the infringement is up to us.

Wait for the court to act... but then decide.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I respect both perspectives but plan on getting an HQL for reasons OP noted. Just my .02.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I can also see both sides of the to get or not get argument, I really didn't want to get the HQL but I did get it.
    I just couldn't see walking into a gunshop and seeing something I wanted and not being able to start the paperwork because I didn't have some POS license.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom