• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IMO the only use for any evidence is if a court challenge is raised by an individual applicant

The 4 CA has already weighed in, and not in our favor.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Small update: Kollar-Kotelly filed an order on 11/30 basically saying that all discovery/motions were due by 12/23/16. And a A "status conference" is scheduled for 1/12/17 @ 1000.

At least they haven't completely forgotten about it.....

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Small update: Kollar-Kotelly filed an order on 11/30 basically saying that all discovery/motions were due by 12/23/16. And a A "status conference" is scheduled for 1/12/17 @ 1000.

Why would the district court be having a status conference when we are waiting for the DC circuits ruling?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Why would the district court be having a status conference when we are waiting for the DC circuits ruling?

The appeals are in the DC Circuit on decisions on motions for a preliminary injunction. Which means that the case still stays in DCT even while the appeal is pending. Perfectly proper for the DCT to conduct further proceedings, if the judge so desires or the parties do.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Yeah, we will get results before Christmas, 2018.

I can appreciate that it is easy to be cynical. But the DC Circuit almost never is that slow, even on issues like the 2A. For example, Heller III was argued in late April and decided in September. That's about average for the DC Circuit on important cases. I expect a decision in Wrenn/Grace in January or February.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

The appeals are in the DC Circuit on decisions on motions for a preliminary injunction. Which means that the case still stays in DCT even while the appeal is pending. Perfectly proper for the DCT to conduct further proceedings, if the judge so desires or the parties do.

It has been awhile. Just want to recap. In Wrenn K-K denied a PI and that is being appealed, meanwhile Litigation continues.
    In Grace, Judge 2A Grants PI. Both PI's are stayed pending appeal.

Is that where we are?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Oral Arguments were held in September for Wrenn and Grace, same day, same panel...
    Right. In Court of Appeals but only concerning the Preliminary Injunctions . Meanwhile the cases continue in US District Court. I am just trying to remind myself where the cases are now.
    Just want to know if what I believe to be the sitrep is correct.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I can appreciate that it is easy to be cynical. But the DC Circuit almost never is that slow, even on issues like the 2A. For example, Heller III was argued in late April and decided in September. That's about average for the DC Circuit on important cases. I expect a decision in Wrenn/Grace in January or February.

IIRC, en banc is rare in the DC Circuit, right? Do you think the PI has a chance at cert if Peruta doesn't get it?

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia

Think there will be further arguments in the District Court or a series of written briefs? I really enjoy watching them live.

Strategy question: I'm also curious to know what you you think having both PI appeals hearings on the same day/panel? Do you think that gave us the opportunity to add our strengths or more surface area to attack? After all, PI's would have the same impact.

I realize it was more efficient for the court and DC but, did it help us?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    It has been awhile. Just want to recap. In Wrenn K-K denied a PI and that is being appealed, meanwhile Litigation continues.
    In Grace, Judge 2A Grants PI. Both PI's are stayed pending appeal.

Is that where we are?
    The grant of the PI in Grace was stayed pending appeal, not the denial of the PI in Wrenn. You are correct that the litigation may continue in both Grace and Wrenn.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Think there will be further arguments in the District Court or a series of written briefs? I really enjoy watching them live.

Strategy question: I'm also curious to know what you you think having both PI appeals hearings on the same day/panel? Do you think that gave us the opportunity to add our strengths or more surface area to attack? After all, PI's would have the same impact.

I realize it was more efficient for the court and DC but, did it help us?

Consolidation of two cases on appeal for purposes of oral argument is a very standard procedure when the same issue is presented in both cases. It is in the interest of justice as it allows the court to hear from all parties at the same time while avoiding conflicting opinions (or a race to a decision) by two different panels. The mere fact of consolidation is neither a plus nor a minus. What matters is the panel and we drew a pretty good panel. As to proceedings in district court, those courts have the option of conducting further proceedings, but it is likely (IMHO) that neither court will do much pending a decision from the court of appeals. The scope of further proceedings will be largely dictated by what the court of appeals does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom