• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shacklefordbanks

Mar 27, 2013
    Not the result. The panel might have been waiting on the cert decision in Peruta and Binderup. A decision in either case could have provided guidance. With cert denied, there is no longer any reason to wait.

But I do believe not granting cert does provide guidance. Gives them cover to contrive an opinion inline with Peruta knowing it will not get cert.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    A WIN!

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3900192/7-25-17-DC-Circuit-Wrenn.pdf

From the opinion:

“To watch the news for even a week in any major city is to give up any illusions about “the problem of handgun violence in this country.” Heller I, 554 U.S. at 570. The District has understandably sought to fight this scourge with every legal tool at its disposal. For that long struggle against gun violence, you might see in today’s decision a defeat; you might see the opposite. To say whether it is one or the other is beyond our ken here. We are bound to leave the District as much space to regulate as the Constitution allows—but no more. Just so, our opinion does little more than trace the boundaries laid in 1791 and flagged in Heller I. And the resulting decision rests on a rule so narrow that good-reason laws seem almost uniquely designed to defy it: that the law-abiding citizen’s right to bear common arms must enable the typical citizen to carry a gun. We vacate both orders below and remand with instructions to enter permanent injunctions against enforcement of the District’s good-reason law. So ordered”

Regards
    Jack

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Wow, this is the split we've been waiting for. I am double-plus tempted to apply for a DC permit, even if I have very little interest in CC.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Wait to see if DC files for a stay upon appeal in the next day or so.

The last time registration was open, there was an avalanche of people getting their carry permits.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    A WIN!

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3900192/7-25-17-DC-Circuit-Wrenn.pdf

From the opinion:

“To watch the news for even a week in any major city is to give up any illusions about “the problem of handgun violence in this country.” Heller I, 554 U.S. at 570. The District has understandably sought to fight this scourge with every legal tool at its disposal. For that long struggle against gun violence, you might see in today’s decision a defeat; you might see the opposite. To say whether it is one or the other is beyond our ken here. We are bound to leave the District as much space to regulate as the Constitution allows—but no more. Just so, our opinion does little more than trace the boundaries laid in 1791 and flagged in Heller I. And the resulting decision rests on a rule so narrow that good-reason laws seem almost uniquely designed to defy it: that the law-abiding citizen’s right to bear common arms must enable the typical citizen to carry a gun. We vacate both orders below and remand with instructions to enter permanent injunctions against enforcement of the District’s good-reason law. So ordered”

Regards
    Jack

Thanks for the news Jack!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    DC is not shall issue yet, DC will no doubt ask for a stay pending an En Banc hearing and then another if they lose there and request cert at SCOTUS.

we are very close but this needs to go a couple more steps before we can declare total victory

I'd like to see Frosh's face right now.

Attachments

• frown.png
      frown.png
      44.6 KB · Views: 403

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    DC is not shall issue yet, DC will no doubt ask for a stay pending an En Banc hearing and then another if they lose there and request cert at SCOTUS.

we are very close but this needs to go a couple more steps before we can declare total victory

I'd like to see Frosh's face right now.

He's wondering how he can frosh himself... :lol2:

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    En Banc will be granted and will overturn this. The usual shenanigans. Pardon me if I seem jaded.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Just received this:

Hello Mr. DC-W, the D.C. Injunction has not gone into effect at this time, and for now we will still be enforcing the concealed carry "good reason" and "other proper reason" of the law, until further notice. You can check back later for an update.

SPO King

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom