• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bronsononson

Bay View Malitia
    Sep 27, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I currently reload 9mm and .223 ... just curious to know if anyone reloads 12 gauge and about how much do they save per 25 shells? I buy almost 2 cases a week (PG and AGC trap). So I figured it might be a good idea to invest... thoughts? I get a case of estate for around 70ish. Someone mumbled something about being able to cut that in half, down at PG the other day. Is there any truth to that?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Yes, I think it's worth it, to load 12 ga shells.

Look at the price(s) of the machines, though.

Used to be, you could buy a MEC 600 Jr. Mk V for less than $100.00. ($67.50, actually!)

I bought one in 20 ga. to load for my son, for $94.50 before the panic set in.

Look up prices on powder (IF you can find it!), primers, shot cups ('wads') and shot. (I'm not counting hulls, because you should have been saving them, from the start!):D
    Prices have gone up, but, I've never found any factory loads that shoot as well (performance and patterns!) as my handloads.

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    I buy in bulk and load 7/8oz 12ga loads. Here is how the math works out:

25lb bag of shot = $35=457 shells at 7/8oz= $.077 per shell
    500 bag of claybuster wads =$10= $.02 per shell
    1000 Primes = $30 = $.03 per shell
    8lbs of Extra Lite Powder = 56000 grains = $130, 20 grains per shell = $.046 per shell

So in the end each shell costs $.173 so a box of shells costs $4.33. This is not a lot of savings when you can buy bulk 100rnd boxes at Walmart for $23, or catch gun club on sale at dicks for $6 per box. It really comes down to whether or not you want to load something different than what you can buy for $6 a box and how much your time is worth.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    It really depends on how much you shoot and how much time you have on your hands. I don't shoot a lot, so, in my case it's cheaper to just buy certain shotshells versus reloading them.

I reload a lot of 12 and 20 gauge here. The only reason I reload 12 gauge is because I can not find a commercial 12 gauge shotshell locally that offers me a #4 or a #5 shot in a 2-3/4" or a 3" shotshell for a good price. I reload my 12 gauge 2-3/4" shells, and with the ability to increase the powder weight, I now create what is basically a 3-1/4" shell is a 2-3/4" shell. I get a lot more bang for my 2-3/4" reloads.

As far as reloading a common clays / trap shotshell, it is almost not worth it when you compare the prices to what a retailer like WalMart gets for a 100 round box at $25.00 The same issue applies to 20 gauge shotshells, compared to WalMart it's just not worth it.

Unless you have a need for a "custom" shotshell like what I prefer is a super heavy magnum 12 gauge 2-3/4" shotshell I'd prefer to just buy commercial ammo for my clays shooting, however, my Steel Waterfowl and Copper Plated Crow reloads are a "Custom" recipe for a special needs situation.

By the time I add up the costs of Primers, Powder, Wads, Shot, and Time invested I'd save more just by buying commercial clays / trap loads.

I just wanted to add that I do own three Lee Load All II presses for 12, 20, and 16 gauge and I can punch out a box of 25 shells in a very short amount of time. As long as you're not trying to win a race and take your time reloading the shells you can get it done very fast. It comes down to a consumable component cost issue much more than time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Oh no , someone else is coping Somdshoot's tiny typeface :( .

But like Mikey said - If you are satisfied with the performance of bulk Promotional loads , the pure money savings is modest. If you flip the parameters around if you are interested in non-common combinations of shot size / payload/ velocity it's the way to go. Likewise you could use premimum hard shot , in a load atilored to your gun , and desired pattern quality for about the same $ as Promo loads.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I could never make the numbers work to make it cost effective.

I would buy quality target rounds for not much more than reloads. And figuring I could sell the once fired hulls for about 4 cents each, the numbers got worse.

But some gun shops will discount flats, if you buy in quantity. If you are shooting 2 per week, buying 10 or 20 at a time is not outrageous.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I looked into it, could reload at $5 a box, I buy Rem gun club at Trop for $55 a case or $5.50 a box, and they pattern well, and they usually have sales where they may be cheaper, so not worth it, especially given the time it takes. Now I may be inclined to reload slugs and buckshot, there might be some cost savings there, and custom loads would be useful.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Now that Walmart has raised the price on 100 round bulk packs to more than $30 (inc tax), you can definitely save money loading your own. As others have mentioned, it really comes down to buying the least expensive, yet still reliable components in bulk which is not something you can do in this state of MD. Most that I know travel to PA a couple of times per year to buy their components.

Check out this link. It has a reloading calculator that breaks down and compares the cost reloading to buying factory shells. All you do is enter the cost/quantities of your components. I currently load reclaimed shot for $3.30 per box. Unfortunately, the source for that shot has dried up and when I run out of it, my loads will cost me $4.55.

http://www.trapshooters.com/default.cfm (just realized that this link doesnt take you directly to the calculator. You have to click on "fun stuff" and then "reloading cost calculators"

Since you may not have a point of reference, use the following component costs/quantities to practice using the calculator with. You won't find prices on components like this at Bass Pro or anywhere in MD for matter so dont bother wasting your time. In fact, I am finding that powder is even tough to come by in PA right now.

Powder - 8 lbs of Promo - $88 - 17.5 grains per load
    Wads - $8 for 500 Claybuster wads
    Primers - $26 for 1,000 Fiocchi primers
    Lead - $40 for 25 lbs
    Hulls - $ 0.00 for 1000
    Price per box of factory shells - $7.50 (walmart prices)

Using those figures, I get $4.55 per box which saves me $2.95 a round. Not quite half, but a savings indeed, especially if you are shooting 10 boxes per week.

I also have a spare reloader that I am preparing to sell and will post in the classifieds once I buy a shot bottle for it. It is a MEC 9000g progressive in close to brand new condition. It's not a $50 Mec 600 jr, but if you are truly shooting 250 rounds per week, then I would say you may consider a progressive. I can load that many shells in about 40 minutes where as a single stage press would likely take you several hours.

That being said, i started on a MEC 600 jr myself (as did most of us) and they are really really good for beginners to learn exactly what goes in to every stage of the reloading process. Might be a really good place to start.

Last edited:

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I looked into it, could reload at $5 a box, I buy Rem gun club at Trop for $55 a case or $5.50 a box, and they pattern well, and they usually have sales where they may be cheaper, so not worth it, especially given the time it takes. Now I may be inclined to reload slugs and buckshot, there might be some cost savings there, and custom loads would be useful.

WOW!!!! - Where / What is Trop? That is a great price for shells!!!

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I reload 12ga, and yes as most have said the savings are miniscule when you are talking about target shells at Walmart. The most expensive part is the lead shot, as shotshell primers are cheaper than centerfire primers (and usually in stock) and the hulls are free. Shotgun powder (mostly) is also usually in stock except for those that are used in pistols (Clays, etc...)

However, I like my personal load, as I load it a bit higher velocity so the trajectory is a bit flatter and the pattern a bit tighter when compared to factory shells.

But the biggest reason I reload 12ga.....I enjoy it. Its another factor for my hobby that is not reliant on what Walmart has in stock the day I decide to go shooting. As long as you buy in bulk, you will never lose money.

For those who assign a monetary value to every minute of their spare time, shotshell reloading (esp 12 or 20ga) is not for you. 410 and 28 ga the savings are much higher.

Also, that is a great deal for a Mec 600 Jr for 12ga. If I didn't already have one I would buy that in a heartbeat. Great press.

Bronsononson

Bay View Malitia
    Sep 27, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a MEC 600 Jr (referenced as the old style model) set up for .12ga, with a few rust spots, that you can have for $50.

Start at 1:40 of the following video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-wF3CGyTs4

I may just take you up on that offer. I'll pm you sometime today about that. Do you still have the bushings and all the parts with the mec Jr? The rust doesnt bother me. Function is all i need. My father is a commercial press mechanic. If anything Im sure he could help spruce it up alittle bit if need be.

500 shells a week?

Howz' the rotator cuff?

:)

Haha shoulder is just fine. All the time i spent in the gym through college seems to be paying off i guess. I actually feel more soreness through the pec area towards the end of the week if i make my way through the end of the second case. Although my first week or so shooting through a case was alitte more noticeable.

I reload 12ga, and yes as most have said the savings are miniscule when you are talking about target shells at Walmart. The most expensive part is the lead shot, as shotshell primers are cheaper than centerfire primers (and usually in stock) and the hulls are free. Shotgun powder (mostly) is also usually in stock except for those that are used in pistols (Clays, etc...)

However, I like my personal load, as I load it a bit higher velocity so the trajectory is a bit flatter and the pattern a bit tighter when compared to factory shells.

But the biggest reason I reload 12ga.....I enjoy it. Its another factor for my hobby that is not reliant on what Walmart has in stock the day I decide to go shooting. As long as you buy in bulk, you will never lose money.

For those who assign a monetary value to every minute of their spare time, shotshell reloading (esp 12 or 20ga) is not for you. 410 and 28 ga the savings are much higher.

Also, that is a great deal for a Mec 600 Jr for 12ga. If I didn't already have one I would buy that in a heartbeat. Great press.

Exactly. A personal load for slightly less money seems like a great deal. I usually order from cabellas. Because i hate depending on bass pro and barts to have what i need. I don't mind spending the time reloading i need something tactile to do while i watch tv or whatever after work anyway. Haha Ive been saving hulls for almost 2 months because i had planned on attempting a 12gauge reload soon.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    WOW!!!! - Where / What is Trop? That is a great price for shells!!!

www.tropgun.com

709 Cloverleaf Road
    Elizabethtown, PA 17022

:thumbsup:, although new address is
    910 N Hanover St Elizabethtown, PA 17022
    (717) 367-5585

PA is a magical place, they just opened the new larger shop, plenty of ammo and reloading components in stock, yes those are bricks of 22 on sale

1378587_615709695146138_745757389_n.jpg 1381165_615709561812818_1216619657_n.jpg

8479_614694008581040_179561663_n.jpg

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I may just take you up on that offer. I'll pm you sometime today about that. Do you still have the bushings and all the parts with the mec Jr? The rust doesnt bother me. Function is all i need. My father is a commercial press mechanic. If anything Im sure he could help spruce it up alittle bit if need be.

Haha shoulder is just fine. All the time i spent in the gym through college seems to be paying off i guess. I actually feel more soreness through the pec area towards the end of the week if i make my way through the end of the second case. Although my first week or so shooting through a case was alitte more noticeable.

Exactly. A personal load for slightly less money seems like a great deal. I usually order from cabellas. Because i hate depending on bass pro and barts to have what i need. I don't mind spending the time reloading i need something tactile to do while i watch tv or whatever after work anyway. Haha Ive been saving hulls for almost 2 months because i had planned on attempting a 12gauge reload soon.[/QUOTE]

If you need some 12 gauge hulls let me know. I get them from the local range and I just grab them by the milk crate fulls when I go, I have hundreds of low brass clay target hulls and a few hundred Winchester AA and Remington Gold hulls. I only reload high brass with shot and slugs, so, I have a stock pile if you want them. Come pick them up or pay the shipping.

I'll never in my lifetime use all the hulls I collect, but, they are excellent OF hulls and when I get them clean and shot the day before I don't hesitate to collect them for the next guy who might be able to use them. I don't keep dented, rusted hulls and each one I bring back gets sorted and trash is thrown out. Here's some of my 12 gauge reloads and some of the hulls I mentioned I have. I have another USPS flat rate box filled with 12 gauge gun club and other assorted brands.

Be sure to keep your empty shotshell boxes and invert them for your reloads. Put your own labels on them and that way you don't get them confused with factory shotshells.

Attachments

• 12 GUAGE HULLS FOR SALE.jpg
      12 GUAGE HULLS FOR SALE.jpg
      96.2 KB · Views: 2,897
    • LEE PRESS CRIMP SAMPLES.jpg
      LEE PRESS CRIMP SAMPLES.jpg
      88.2 KB · Views: 2,936
    • WINCHESTER AA SH POWDER.jpg
      WINCHESTER AA SH POWDER.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 2,919

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts