• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Yes, 7.62x54r

As far as cosmo goes, basic removal is to dissassemble metal from stock. Use paper towels to get the bulk off, use mineral spirits. Lots of vids online.

Check out 7.62x54r.net

Decide if you are refinishing stock or just removing cosmo. Just removing cosmo from stock using mineral spirits is MUCH less work than a refinish. Even if you THINK you want to refinish (many people are against refinishing even the inexpesive Mosins as it removes the HISTORY of the rifle depending on the type of stock), your probably better off not doing it till you think about it and just remove cosmo from stock and then get it shooting. Maybe buy the $15 accurizing kit from smith-sights and get it shooting. Watch vids on how to disassemble bolt and check the firing pin protrusion using the tool they provide.

Read about cleaning corrosive ammo (I run patches of windex after range time before heading back to work).

Thanks for the info. I don't plan on refinishing stock unless it looks real bad. I want to retain the "HISTORY" aspect. I'll check out the accurizing kit. Do you also use mineral spirits to clean the cosmo from the metal parts?
    I will get some popcorn and watch vid's as you suggest. Do you have your C&R - seems like the way to go as I watch my bank acct. go away at the same time!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I used mineral spirits on the metal yes.
    On my 3rd one I used a spare PVC tube and soaked it overnight. Really made bore cleaning easier. My 2nd one, I plugged muzzle with a spare dowel as suggested then poured the mineral spirits into the breech end and soaked overnight. All suggestions I got off here or other sites. Bolt soaked in a little plastic bin with mineral spirits overnight. I used hair dryer or heat gun to heat anything that was all metal to soften up cosmo, then wiped, then heated, then soaked. after soaking, wipe clean. I also brushed the chamber after learning a few things about 'mosin sticky bolt syndrome".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcRzrYqgSsE

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    (many people are against refinishing even the inexpesive Mosins as it removes the HISTORY of the rifle depending on the type of stock)

Count me in that group. While home-refinished stocks sometimes look pretty (many look terribly incorrect and bad), I always pass them over in favor of original with all its flaws.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Century bumped the prices again on their M91/30's: $150 for rounds, and $180 for Hex's.

Snatch these up people! Prices keep going up, i wasnt lying...

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    OK, but I was curious as to what it looked like out of the box.

sorry, didnt think anyone would care until it was cleaned up.
    FWIW it was all in bubble wrap, stock to sight, with a thin layer of cosmo.

looks like The end of the barrel is "painted" black, just like my Hex from classic was. That will blow off as soon as you hit it with brake cleaner and likely anything else petroliumish that removes cosmo except water.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    OK, I lied. It was 13lbs.

BBT showed up early, and caught me in my bath robe. There was just no frosen way I was going go through this weekend with a yellow sticky on my door.

Here's some pictures right out of the box. It's much slimier than it looks.

It looks like the date is stamped 1942r. The serial number on the rifle and the bolt match. Looks like a CH in front of the sn. Faint crest on the top. Faint stamps on the stock. No metal around the sling holes.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.JPG
      IMG_0550.JPG
      82.8 KB · Views: 109
    • IMG_0551.JPG
      IMG_0551.JPG
      80.8 KB · Views: 108
    • IMG_0552.JPG
      IMG_0552.JPG
      80 KB · Views: 107
    • IMG_0556.JPG
      IMG_0556.JPG
      49.3 KB · Views: 109

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I really have no need or desire to buy a Mosin. At this price, with all of the accessories, I feel like I should buy one just to throw in the basement.

There's about 150 in stock right now.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I just realized mine came with two ammo pouches, not one like the picture. The bayonet number doesn't match the rifle. I'm sending it back.

Don't send it back! You could easily sell it for $120 in the classifieds and save a few bucks versus return shipping. ;)

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm selling it.

The hot water trick makes short work of stripping the cosmoline off. I poured boiling water over everything metal and it did the trick. I just spent some quality time on the back porch with some paper towels and rem oil. I think I got the bolt back together right, but I will check to make sure. So far, everything looks good. Like I would really know.

IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG

I wiped down the stock and got it as clean as I could. I put it out in the sun, but with this nice weather, it barely got warm. So I moved it to my Народы мобильных cosmoline удаления печь, but the temperature in there was cooler than usual and as soon as I opened the hatch, the wind blew and cooled it down even further. So not much is coming off on the wooden stuff.

Speaking of the wood. When these were packed away, would they have been painted with a shinny finish before the cosmoline? This thing looks like they threw a coat of varnish on it, covering the metal on the stock (big screw thorough the stock).

IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Part of the arsenal refurb is to brush on more shellac onto the stock.
    Pre war, wartime or post war stock?

What is your plan to degunk the barrel? There is likely gonna be more gunk in the barrel that you won't believe.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    So I got a 1941 and a 1942, both look fantastic I must say.

I do have a question though. On one of the rifles, the baseplate and bolt are matching, but it is 1000 off of the receiver date. Is this a restamp of a serial that someone just wasn't paying close attention to?

It's 9### on the receiver, but 8### on the other parts, if that makes sense.

Kat

sure sure it looked fun
    Jul 5, 2012
    EdgeHood
    took it out of the box wiped down real quick and out for pictures...

will clean it up better but really nice looking specimen

uploadfromtaptalk1374868585785.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1374868685061.jpg
    Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom