• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Part of the arsenal refurb is to brush on more shellac onto the stock.
    Pre war, wartime or post war stock?

What is your plan to degunk the barrel? There is likely gonna be more gunk in the barrel that you won't believe.

I don't know how to tell what period a stock is from. What do I look for?

On the barrel, I've poured boiling water down it, dried it and ran some oiled patches down it until they came out clean and dry.

I was going to hit it with some bore cleaner next, but I have to go buy some.

I'm open for suggestions on the barrel and anything else as well. I appreciate the help.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Attachments

• IMG_0565.JPG
      IMG_0565.JPG
      43.3 KB · Views: 195
    • IMG_0566.JPG
      IMG_0566.JPG
      48.4 KB · Views: 197

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Got one all cleaned up. I thought it was the uglier if the two but now I'm not too sure. I may end up having to sell one, but man they are pretty!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    FYI, when you guys are ready to shoot. They often shoot high with the Russian Surplus. Shoot at 50 yards just to get on paper and go from there. I think my first ones shot 6-10in high at 100 yds and that was with a 6 oclock hold on a 5 1/2" Shoot N C.

shrink wrap trick worked for that till I got a taller post.

Looking forward to more pics.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Ok had time to clean it off a bit and take some pics for you guys! Looks pretty similar to Arcamm's rifle.

It's stamped 1943r and the Barrel, Bolt, Stock, and the base of the Magazine all have matching numbers. Based on the prev post, the stock looks to be wartime with metal on the bottom of the fore-grip and nothing on the stock. The seal on the stock is barely visible which is unfortunate. Not sure what else to look for yet, but I am learning.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    I am picking up a MN today (my first) and need info on where to buy ammo - best price is high priority.
    I am looking forward (maybe) to getting the cosmo removed from the stock and metals. I think I will try the "black bag" method for the stock and mineral spirits for the metal. Any helpfull tips would be appreciated.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Just got a email from SOG. They have them in stock too. Same price i think.

Happy hunting

I've been happy with pistol's from Wideners. Do you think SOG would be better? Also, if I bought 3 from SOG, do you think I should do the hand select or save the $30 bucks and hope for the best?

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    I am picking up a MN today (my first) and need info on where to buy ammo - best price is high priority.
    I am looking forward (maybe) to getting the cosmo removed from the stock and metals. I think I will try the "black bag" method for the stock and mineral spirits for the metal. Any helpfull tips would be appreciated.

Right now AIM Surplus has it for $90 per 440 spam can. Expect about $18-20 in shipping:
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76254R

I would get myself on the various vendor "notify me" lists so when it is in stock you get an email. Sometimes Sportsman's Guide has decent deals on surplus spam cans because you can find online codes for free shipping. Also, it does pay off to become a member. Find someone to refer you and you both get codes for $15 off.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I'm not up-to-date in the latest refurbs, but do I see some scope numbers on the side of this Izhevsk?

Ok had time to clean it off a bit and take some pics for you guys! Looks pretty similar to Arcamm's rifle.

It's stamped 1943r and the Barrel, Bolt, Stock, and the base of the Magazine all have matching numbers. Based on the prev post, the stock looks to be wartime with metal on the bottom of the fore-grip and nothing on the stock. The seal on the stock is barely visible which is unfortunate. Not sure what else to look for yet, but I am learning.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    BDO in King George, VA has some nice ones on the rack. They are higher priced than these were, but when you figure in shipping and a "hand select" fee that allows you to pick the one that you want (or not be committed to buy, if you don't like), the price is very reasonable. Same accessories. All rounds, but some early rounds and some with brass guard caps. There may be one Tula left. All that I saw today were matching numbers without electro-pencil. One of them had to follow me home.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I'm going to re-ask my question from earlier in this thread. One of my Widener's 91/30s looks brand new. However, the receiver is numbered "9###" but all the other parts are numbered "8###". Is this a matching numbers gun that was rearsenalled and someone messed up the stamp for the other parts? I found it odd that all the numbers match but is one off from the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom