• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Went to the Wye River today. We launched the boat at Wye Landing. The crabbers are still out there and they are catching big ones. We had a very heavy fog until about 11am so we really don't run to far. The tide was low in the morning. I caught a boat load of white perch which really surprised me for this time of the year. Plus they were in 2-4 feet of water. There were some yellow perch mixed in. Found one nice point and caught about 20 rockfish ranging from 14" to 19". Not a bad day...

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Awesome catch. What was your rig to catch that?
    I was casting a white jig head with a 3" chartreuse twister tail. Actually saw swarms of white perch swiping fast on baitfish. Also tried minnows on bobber, spinners in different sizes and colors, rattle traps and various poppers and surface lures. Lost a few other snakeheads but no rockfish, white perch or LM Bass. A friend of mine took my remaining minnows and around the corner in Bush river caught quite a few yellow perch on them. I also caught another snakehead there last week.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Kayak is in the truck,, headed out for a few hours in the morning to chase Stripers.
    To warm to hunt :(

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I was casting a white jig head with a 3" chartreuse twister tail. Actually saw swarms of white perch swiping fast on baitfish. Also tried minnows on bobber, spinners in different sizes and colors, rattle traps and various poppers and surface lures. Lost a few other snakeheads but no rockfish, white perch or LM Bass. A friend of mine took my remaining minnows and around the corner in Bush river caught quite a few yellow perch on them. I also caught another snakehead there last week.
    Were the snakeheads biting off the line or fighting the hook off? That thing is huge.

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020
    Were the snakeheads biting off the line or fighting the hook off? That thing is huge.
    No line break or shredding it with their teeth. They will tear the hook loose after a long fight. Thing is you cant just haul them in. I was using braided line but like mono better. Some will straighten a hook so that is why I only use Stainless steel hooks on lures.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No line break or shredding it with their teeth. They will tear the hook loose after a long fight. Thing is you cant just haul them in. I was using braided line but like mono better. Some will straighten a hook so that is why I only use Stainless steel hooks on lures.
    My experience has been, a couple hard, short runs once you set the hook, and that's about it.
    snakehead2.jpg

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020
    My experience has been, a couple hard, short runs once you set the hook, and that's about it.
    View attachment 386756
    Nice snakehead there for sure. How much did it weigh? Usually they fight a few minutes as I have caught maybe a little over a dozen this year between the Bush and Gunpowder. Usually fishing for other species and catch them instead. This one was the deepest water I caught one in and about 12 feet deep. It fought just like a huge channel cat. Just tugging and swimming side to side and hugging bottom. I saw huge swirls a few times when It came up to surface. Also kicking up mud from the bottom. I thought it was a huge cat. Guy was fishing last week at work and caught a three foot channel cat as there are some nice ones around since cooler water temps.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice snakehead there for sure. How much did it weigh? Usually they fight a few minutes as I have caught maybe a little over a dozen this year between the Bush and Gunpowder. Usually fishing for other species and catch them instead. This one was the deepest water I caught one in and about 12 feet deep. It fought just like a huge channel cat. Just tugging and swimming side to side and hugging bottom. I saw huge swirls a few times when It came up to surface. Also kicking up mud from the bottom. I thought it was a huge cat. Guy was fishing last week at work and caught a three foot channel cat as there are some nice ones around since cooler water temps.
    Right at 10 lbs. We kayak fished a Blackwater tributary targeting snakeheads. That was the biggest. I tossed my lure right into a 'fryball'. She was right beneath it, protecting her babies.

10lbs2.jpeg

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Looks like 4th of July on Pax today, folks trolling, crabbing, chasing birds, even saw a couple jetskis.

Attachments

• IMG_20221103_123138957.jpg
      IMG_20221103_123138957.jpg
      252.1 KB · Views: 67

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Finished up our bowfishing season last nite. Been one hell of a year for us in our first year of doing charters and ended it with a bang. 69 snakes. Biggest was 13.6 lbs with over 20 over 10lbs. Now time to get on some deer and coyotes for a bit.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1668210320613.jpg
      FB_IMG_1668210320613.jpg
      263.5 KB · Views: 95

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Took a little fellow on his first fishing trip Tuesday.
    He had FUN!, Hell, so did I!

Almost got a 5# bluecat to shore when the line broke. Thought he was going to lose that 2 foot rod, lol.

Plus, we stopped for ice cream afterwards!

Hope it's a day he remembers!

Attachments

• IMG_20221108_125824971.jpg
      IMG_20221108_125824971.jpg
      467.3 KB · Views: 71

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Finished up our bowfishing season last nite. Been one hell of a year for us in our first year of doing charters and ended it with a bang. 69 snakes. Biggest was 13.6 lbs with over 20 over 10lbs. Now time to get on some deer and coyotes for a bit.
    Holy crap! That's a good night

wpage

Ultimate Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Southern Delaware
    Wow^^^ Thats quite a haul. Are they any good for grilling?

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    some porkers on that boat! And I don't mean you guys :lol2:

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    We had a pretty good day at a private pond. I lost 5 to short strikes and bad hook sets but landed 6. My brother landed 11, all of them were about the same size.
    a5670383c17c1252fa8b0e8251dde746.jpg
    d762c290abf20591dc4f19b1c4ec7654.jpg
    85879bdd799246491ecaf5c0b3941ee8.jpg
    12eb0fa8838b1de44b525cd4e38b87cb.jpg
    14a3058297fdf427fd7733633bdffb6b.jpg
    3f6cd277b0a777e6a29f784b88feb150.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members