• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Thanks for all the information to my guestion.

I do feel for the instructors here and the mishmash of info given to them by msp on how to train a class for their renewal of their license with no cut and dry method of how to present it to those needing renewal class.

I personally although not required by law would have no issue with taking a 9 or 10 hour renewal class that would further my training with firearms if it would still allow trainers that “have to teach me the mandatory new stuff about de escalation and suicide prevention which I have little interest in but they must teach it to fit msp new curriculum.
    While still giving us the safety and firearm training we signed up for.
    Thanks

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    One day when I am feeling frisky I am going to take the State mandated stuff and turn it into a curriculum. Then sell it for one billion dollars (evil laugh)....................

TD
    Thats basically what I did with my 205 page power point. Took what made sense from the nra courses for the graffics and descriptions and the law and extra crap from the state handout.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Thanks for all the information to my guestion.

I do feel for the instructors here and the mishmash of info given to them by msp on how to train a class for their renewal of their license with no cut and dry method of how to present it to those needing renewal class.

I personally although not required by law would have no issue with taking a 9 or 10 hour renewal class that would further my training with firearms if it would still allow trainers that “have to teach me the mandatory new stuff about de escalation and suicide prevention which I have little interest in but they must teach it to fit msp new curriculum.
    While still giving us the safety and firearm training we signed up for.
    Thanks
    Hence the big problem, they gave an outline for the initial cert class. They have not given an outline for the renewal beyond saying we have to teach certain things. The loop hole is, at least I think, if someone gets the "new" training, when it comes to their renewal we will have some leeway. Problem is someone who took the class last year, needs to be taught the new stuff at least once.

So with what I have taught in the past, which is nra basic pistol/ccw, and the new "law" stuff I feel the renewal for someone who took my class is basically just an update to the current law stuff. They dont need the this the parts of a cartridge, as they have had it. But to cover my a$$, I did touch on it in my 205 page PP.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    All this talk about the state info made me remember what I got when I got my Alabama permit. After filling out a 1 page form (no picture, no fingerprints), paying $20 and waiting about 3 weeks my paper permit came in the mail with a brochure with mostly common sense safety things on it. LOL! F Maryland.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    The General Assembly stipulated the requirements- BY LAW.

MSP wrote down what the statute REQUIRES.

That's what instructors must cover in 8 hours of training.

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    Based on the majority of the comments, seems like everyone can agree that time working on gun handling is time well spent.

That said, anyone interested in doing some handgun drills, using SIRT guns and LASR app targets? I usually try to run a 4 hour block of training I call “Guided Range Workshop” one Saturday a month. Since the weather has been brutal lately I figured I’d offer an indoor version in February. I’ll have multiple stations set up and we’ll work on draws, reloading, clearing malfunctions, shooting and moving, use of cover, etc. and anything else you guys want to practice.

I just requested the classroom in Annapolis for Saturday February 10. Thinking 9am to 1pm. Let me know who’s interested and I’ll make a post in the training section and get it set up on my website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    Regarding the 8 hour refresher course, would anyone be interested in breaking it up into two 4 hour sessions? Either a weeknight and a Saturday or Sunday? Or some other combination?

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Regarding the 8 hour refresher course, would anyone be interested in breaking it up into two 4 hour sessions? Either a weeknight and a Saturday or Sunday? Or some other combination?

You may consider posting 4 days per month - A day and B day - and see who signs up.
    (CLASSROOM =A)
    (RANGE = B)

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I'll be damned if YOU feel that *I* need a full 16hr class just to make YOU happy.

if you truly feel that, you sure as shit shouldn't be teaching, and you sure as shit don't support 2A rights.

additional classes can be at someone's own expense, but definitely NOT mandatory. This is a RIGHT we're talking about, not a privilege.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'll be damned if YOU feel that *I* need a full 16hr class just to make YOU happy.

if you truly feel that, you sure as shit shouldn't be teaching, and you sure as shit don't support 2A rights.

additional classes can be at someone's own expense, but definitely NOT mandatory. This is a RIGHT we're talking about, not a privilege.
    That's why you are free to choose a different instructor. Or choose not to legally carry in Maryland.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Who is the *YOU* you're referring to?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Regardless of the pronoun antecedent , Tower does bring up an issue that exists with the 16 hr , but is even starker with the 8 hr Renewal . That of purely paying a Poll Tax is easiest/ least burdensome manner vs seeking any actual learning / skill enhancement .

In a group class format , with current MSP required classroom material , 8 clock hours will be consumed by the Power Point , and shooting the Qual , with no time , or essentially no time for anything else .

For the Record , Failing pure Con Carry , there shouldn't be any Mandated Training . But that's down the road at this point .

IF one seeks the minimum to pay their Poll Tax , that's the 8 hour format .

IF you chooses to also seek actual knowledge , or meaningful shooting coaching , that would occur in the time beyond 8 hrs .

Eventually , the market place will mature , and sort itself out .

Will 10hrs find consumer satisfaction?
    12 hr would provide " half day " of real learning , but will be pushing the endurance and attention span of normies .

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    thing is, you cant just "one card fits all" The amount of force on force, situational and other training Ive done far exceeds any of these 8/16hr trainings.

As biggfoot has said, this is nothing more than a tax on a right. Would you accept it if it was a tax on voting? Didnt think so.

My point eludes back to Biggfoot44s commentary of the 8hr classes going away and just pushing a "new" 16hr class regardless of renewal or new license.its none of your places, unless you're my employer, to dictate to me a training course for this.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I think you can get through the required stuff in enough time to do some meaningful range time within 8 hours. I may be wrong, I’m doing a small private renewal course this weekend and will find out.

I know the new requirements have made it nearly impossible to avoid a renewal only course. Some instructors would count one of the days of the two day course as renewal, but with the requirements plus range time I don’t see that being easily done.

Things such as different handgun actions, grip, aiming, etc should be review and some can be done on the range. Renewal should be review not initial instruction, which should take less time.

Notice the word “should” being used a lot. Unfortunately I have encountered students who learned very little in other courses, this could be an issue in a renewal.

Lastly, there are many instructors who offer a vast array of courses. Pick one that you feel is appropriate for your goals. But please don’t fault others who want to provide or participate in more than the minimum.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think he is saying he doesn't have Honorable Discharge ... something to do with an unfriendly warrant officer

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom