• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I see plenty trainers that offer initial permit class ,but who offers the ccw renewal class?
    What does renewal 8 hour class consist of?
    Much of people took the initial class after Bruen desision, but what about renewal class?
    Thanks for any guidance on where to get 8 hour renewal class training

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    New law may have changed how renewal classes are done, but Guntry was doing them when I took my full W&C class. The renewal was basically day 2 of the full class. Fantastic facility as a bonus. I don't think I'll ever go back to Hap Baker despite it being much closer and cheaper.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Tony Domenico is in IP here (@miles71 ) and trains in Delta PA.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I see plenty trainers that offer initial permit class ,but who offers the ccw renewal class?
    What does renewal 8 hour class consist of?
    Much of people took the initial class after Bruen desision, but what about renewal class?
    Thanks for any guidance on where to get 8 hour renewal class training
    Virtually every instructor in MD.
    They may not advertise renewals well.

The 8 hour is generally lather-rinse-repeat of the 16 hrs, with less time wasted on nomenclature,
    and shooting exactly the same quals- 25 rounds for mere mortals, 50 rounds for Sam Spade Detectives and Security Guards.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    To him. Unless I'm speaking to her.

Although

Him might say, Me talk to he.

I'm seeing more and more of that nonsense lately. Obviously it is deliberate, and it is obvious pretension. Someone thinks they are making an impression of being an educated and erudite person, when they are actually humiliating themselves.

I've said before, "whom" is not really required at all in colloquial or informal speech. If you don't know how to use "whom" correctly, just don't use it at all.

Even used correctly, "whom" often sounds a bit stilted, even pretentious. I think it is more and more acceptable to dispense with it entirely in many cases.

Rule of thumb: If the occasion calls for a suit and tie, use "whom". If you're wearing a sports jacket, just drop the act and say "who".

In this case, someone went out of their way to get it wrong, because they thought it would make a good impression. It has the opposite effect.

And before someone calls me a "Grammatik Nazi," I'm not objecting on grammatical grounds but rather calling out an example of illiterate pretension which I'm seeing more and more frequently.

If a friend is smearing shit on their shoes, thinking it's shinola, we should tell them.

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    To him. Unless I'm speaking to her.

Although

Him might say, Me talk to he.

I'm seeing more and more of that nonsense lately. Obviously it is deliberate, and it is obvious pretension. Someone thinks they are making an impression of being an educated and erudite person, when they are actually humiliating themselves.

I've said before, "whom" is not really required at all in colloquial or informal speech. If you don't know how to use "whom" correctly, just don't use it at all.

Even used correctly, "whom" often sounds a bit stilted, even pretentious. I think it is more and more acceptable to dispense with it entirely in many cases.

Rule of thumb: If the occasion calls for a suit and tie, use "whom". If you're wearing a sports jacket, just drop the act and say "who".

In this case, someone went out of their way to get it wrong, because they thought it would make a good impression. It has the opposite effect.

And before someone calls me a "Grammatik Nazi," I'm not objecting on grammatical grounds but rather calling out an example of illiterate pretension which I'm seeing more and more frequently.

If a friend is smearing shit on their shoes, thinking it's shinola, we should tell them.
    Maybe. Or he could have just been a victim of autocarrot. :shrug:

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Great, now I am dealing with semantic satiation and the word "whom" no longer has meaning to me... Thanks!!!

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    Tony Domenico is in IP here (@miles71 ) and trains in Delta PA.

I took my initial class with Tony back after Bruen. Great instructor, lots of info and a very reasonable price. Nice guy too. I definitely recommend him and I will go to him when its time for my renewal

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Virtually every instructor in MD.
    They may not advertise renewals well.

The 8 hour is generally lather-rinse-repeat of the 16 hrs, with less time wasted on nomenclature,
    and shooting exactly the same quals- 25 rounds for mere mortals, 50 rounds for Sam Spade Detectives and Security Guards.
    This exactly. I do not know of any instructor not doing both the initial and renewal classes. The exact same required curriculum and course of fire is used for both.

Thanks to all who wished for a standardized state issued curriculum, all the better instructor's courses are now dumbed down to use the state issued garbage.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'd also ask...

1a4d9423eb1ca587a80b6f1700d4faa9.jpg

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    Check out my business partner Tactical Shepherd ( www.tacticalshepherd.com ). They offer the renewal class and qualification. Classroom training is conducted in the same building as the gun shop and you can either sign up on their website or at the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom