• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Hi All,
    I've never done outdoor haunting before only ranges. I'd like to join some one in the sports of outdoor hunting with firearms.
    I believe that white tail deer antlered with firearms is only 11/25-12/9
    and anterless is 12/2, and 12/8/9
    According to this guidelines for firearms haunting

not less than .40 caliber, no less than 40 grains, minimum 6 inches, and. So I am thinking of using 5.56 with 65 grams is that allows with my AR15?
    I think Whitetail deer can be haunted 365 days a year. Just go out in the woods or fields and go BOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOO like a kid imitating a ghost.

Hunting them has to be done within the rules, times and weapon of choice based on the parameters set forth in the MD Hunting and Trapping rule book.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Hi All,
    I've never done outdoor haunting before only ranges. I'd like to join some one in the sports of outdoor hunting with firearms.

not less than .40 caliber, no less than 40 grains, minimum 6 inches, and. So I am thinking of using 5.56 with 65 grams is that allows with my AR15?
    My 1st post was not making fun of you, aznboi87, I was just getting a bit of a chuckle out of the word haunting instead of hunting.

As a lifetime hunter, 1st snake and critter hunting with nothing but my eyes and feet and hands as a kid, then firearms and bows after age 30, I know everyone has to start somewhere.

Even now at almost 60 years old, I am learning new things such as the new 350 Legend.
    If I am not mistaken, now where I primarily used Sabot slugs in non rifle counties, it will be nice to acquire a 350 to use on these properties in addition or in lieu of my 12 guage.

Good luck in getting your safety permit and license.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Meh, get a muzxleloader, opens up another few weeks, can use it during firearms season too, and where/ how I usually hunt, is no disadvantage.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Hi All,

Haunting is best done after you are dead.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Please do yourself a favor,, take an in person hunter ed course,,
    The information you will acquire is worth it.

Yes , I'm old school .

But indeed , for actual newcommers seeking knowledge , in person class is better .

Formal and informal two way communication with instructor staff , plus communicating with fellow students ( and their Parents ) .

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Please do yourself a favor,, take an in person hunter ed course,,
    The information you will acquire is worth it.
    Yes , I'm old school .

But indeed , for actual newcommers seeking knowledge , in person class is better .

Formal and informal two way communication with instructor staff , plus communicating with fellow students ( and their Parents ) .
    I would also recommend doing the in person field day especially since all of this will be brand new information. It’s a little inconvenient, but you will be able to ask the instructor any questions that comes to mind and get that feed back immediately.

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    I would also recommend doing the in person field day especially since all of this will be brand new information. It’s a little inconvenient, but you will be able to ask the instructor any questions that comes to mind and get that feed back immediately.
    Someone mentioned I didn’t need field day if I have ccw

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I was asking if I can tag along anyone that's more knowledgable, doesn't necessary have to be in moco. probably somewhere more remote. Im not going to shoot some deer in middle of Potomac with million dollar houses nearby.
    Tagging along is different than what you said about taking your AR so that may lead some to be confused as to your clear intent. There is a lot to learn and the regs can be confusing. You can do the apprentice hunt with a licensed hunter. As a beginner it is best to do in person. Safety is paramount for you and others. Be patient and don’t take iffy shots because you saw a deer, MD has a pretty good population so the right opportunity and shot will present itself. Do as others said read the regs throughly and take the in person safety course and fully prepaid yourself before heading afield. When you do kill one you have to deal with it, that can be the hardest part.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Tagging along is different than what you said about taking your AR so that may lead some to be confused as to your clear intent. There is a lot to learn and the regs can be confusing. You can do the apprentice hunt with a licensed hunter. As a beginner it is best to do in person. Safety is paramount for you and others. Be patient and don’t take iffy shots because you saw a deer, MD has a pretty good population so the right opportunity and shot will present itself. Do as others said read the regs throughly and take the in person safety course and fully prepaid yourself before heading afield. When you do kill one you have to deal with it, that can be the hardest part.
    Good advice there.

Yep, field dressing, tagging and checking it in, dragging the deer out, plans for keeping the meat from spoiling, where to have it butchered are all other things to have worked out long before going into the woods and killing your first deer.

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    Good advice there.

Yep, field dressing, tagging and checking it in, dragging the deer out, plans for keeping the meat from spoiling, where to have it butchered are all other things to have worked out long before going into the woods and killing your first deer.
    I understand. I currently have an ar15 and I believe if I’m reading Maryland law correct 556 with more then 60grain is allowed with certain casing.

I mentioned ar15 because my wife won’t let me get another rifle.

1) So is there anyway way I can make my ar15 legal for white deer hunting?

2) I don’t eat deer meet so whatever I killed can be given to the person. Who lets me tag along. I am new at this so I doubt I’ll get any on my first trip

3) thanks to people on here I understand I will need to take hunter license course

4) I’m sure the infield safety course will be very similar in terms of safety for ccw that’s why they allow us to be exempted and I believe many of the safety rules are the same (don’t point your gun at others, safety on until ready to fire, have your rifle pointed down, keep your mag unloaded until you’re in position, I’ll keep my rifle in bag until situated.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom