• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    Hi All,
    I've never done outdoor haunting before only ranges. I'd like to join some one in the sports of outdoor hunting with firearms.
    I believe that white tail deer antlered with firearms is only 11/25-12/9
    and anterless is 12/2, and 12/8/9
    According to this guidelines for firearms haunting

not less than .40 caliber, no less than 40 grains, minimum 6 inches, and. So I am thinking of using 5.56 with 65 grams is that allows with my AR15?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The .40 cal minimum is for muzzleloaders and the 6” barrel minimum is for handguns.

Since a .223 AR is neither of those, it falls under the 1200 ft-lb minimum for centerfire rifles. You can use .223 ARs in MD with the appropriate ammo meeting that requirement, but you also need to look up where you are allowed to use centerfires with bottlenecked cartridges.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    You will need your Hunter's Education class, which will be helpful in many ways.

You will then need a hunting license with appropriate stamps.

Your last sentence mixes requirements given for several classes of hunting implements:

Muzzleloaders require .40 caliber minimum and 40 grains of powder.

Handguns must have a minimum barrel length of 6"

Modern rifles require a minimum muzzle energy of 1,200 FtLb of energy.

The 65 grain load in the .223 may or may not meet minimum energy requirements, depending on the exact load and your barrel length. As posted above, make sure the area you are in allows the cartridge you wish to use.

As a beginning hunter, I would strongly recommend you use a larger cartridge. The bigger cartridges will provide more margin of error and will also provide a better blood trail to use when following up your animal.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    majority of the public places in the central and eastern part of the state are Straight Wall Cartridge only.... so .350 legend, 450bushmaster, 45-70, etc... or Shutgun Slugs.

That means your 5.56 (bottleneck) isn't allowed.

Lots of great, cheap 350 legend rifles that fit the bill. Ruger American, Savage Axis, winchester. That is my suggestion.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    You will need your Hunter's Education class, which will be helpful in many ways.

You will then need a hunting license with appropriate stamps.

Your last sentence mixes requirements given for several classes of hunting implements:

Muzzleloaders require .40 caliber minimum and 40 grains of powder.

Handguns must have a minimum barrel length of 6"

Modern rifles require a minimum muzzle energy of 1,200 FtLb of energy.

The 65 grain load in the .223 may or may not meet minimum energy requirements, depending on the exact load and your barrel length. As posted above, make sure the area you are in allows the cartridge you wish to use.

As a beginning hunter, I would strongly recommend you use a larger cartridge. The bigger cartridges will provide more margin of error and will also provide a better blood trail to use when following up your animal.
    OP also will have to address whether he plans on "haunting" in straight-wall cartridge only territory. Particularly If he's planning on popping off with a .223 or 5.56 in MOCO. Also, does not seem to realize the the antlered/antlerless dates quoted are applicable to Zone A.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Hi All,
    I've never done outdoor haunting before only ranges. I'd like to join some one in the sports of outdoor hunting with firearms.
    I believe that white tail deer antlered with firearms is only 11/25-12/9
    and anterless is 12/2, and 12/8/9
    According to this guidelines for firearms haunting

not less than .40 caliber, no less than 40 grains, minimum 6 inches, and. So I am thinking of using 5.56 with 65 grams is that allows with my AR15?
    OP - please refer to the MD hunting regs. You're going to need to pass the hunter's safety course before even qualifying for a hunting license. There's lots that you're missing with the above post.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Hunters education info.

The online course is about $25. It will take you a 2-3 nights to complete.

Then you will have to sign up for a field day class. In person class takes about 6-8 hours. See link below

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    Hunters education info.

Then you will have to sign up for a field day class. In person class takes about 6-8 hours. See link below
    thanks I'll work on it first, still got couple months

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not really . Field Days ( and in person Hunter Ed classes ) fill rapidly as fall approaches .

If you are anticipating to Hunt this year , the time to schedule is Right Now .

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    OP also will have to address whether he plans on "haunting" in straight-wall cartridge only territory. Particularly If he's planning on popping off with a .223 or 5.56 in MOCO. Also, does not seem to realize the the antlered/antlerless dates quoted are applicable to Zone A.
    I was asking if I can tag along anyone that's more knowledgable, doesn't necessary have to be in moco. probably somewhere more remote. Im not going to shoot some deer in middle of Potomac with million dollar houses nearby.

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    Hunters education info.

any link for the online course?

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    thanks I'll work on it first, still got couple months
    No. Those Field Days fill up QUICKLY. You may also need to drive a bit for it. I’d work on it now. I just got my MD and PA licenses last week.

Also, another vote for the 350 Legend because you can use it throughout Maryland and it’s still a good round for other states around here (PA, WV, VA). They’re accurate, don’t kick at all, and have pretty good knockdown power.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    majority of the public places in the central and eastern part of the state are Straight Wall Cartridge only.... so .350 legend, 450bushmaster, 45-70, etc... or Shutgun Slugs.

That means your 5.56 (bottleneck) isn't allowed.

Lots of great, cheap 350 legend rifles that fit the bill. Ruger American, Savage Axis, winchester. That is my suggestion.

There’s a new one this year called the 360 Buckhammer - basically a 30-30 case with the neck cut off (to make it a straight walled cartridge). I like how you can make your own brass (as opposed to the 350L), but I don’t want to get another caliber if I can avoid it. I also think the 350L will be around for the long haul, since it has a large following in the Midwest states they’re straight wall only.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    where do I go for the field courses?
    You have to sign up for the field day after completing the online portion of the course.

MD Online course:

Link to search for a field day, if you need it (see post above):

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula