• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Thank you all so much for your input. I think I have made up my mind on an AK. It is a fun gun to shoot. I know it won't be like the full auto ones I got to play with in Iraq, but it will still be fun to throw lead down range. As soon as the Christmas rush is over in my house, I will definitely be in the market for one. I may start looking at Gun Broker between now and then. Then I will head up to Gun Connection. Someone showed a link to Atlantic Firearms, any input on them? If I were to purchase something through them how would it work? I can see driving 2 1/2 hours each way (and to do it a second time after my 7 day wait). Thanks again.

Hooray! Another Comrade in our growing ranks!

Have you thought about caliber and setup yet? Personally, I'd steer you towards the classic 7.62x39 round with either a standard stock or, if you're going to drop the cash, the modern 74M folder. Underfolders and side folders are nice, but they reduce the utility of the gun. My recommendation? Either an old school Norinco Type 56 or Maadi. If you want something more contemporary, Aresenal all the way. Last, don't write off Century. Steer clear of WASRs as these are mostly a range time "fun gun" to complement your collection, but give Century's other models a look. Sometimes you can find a real gem like the Yugos with "trench art." I'm still kicking myself for not snapping up a Yugo with a Serbian flag carved into the stock at the Harrisburg show years back. Beware of oddball AK makers like TGI, especially if the AK in question has an unusually low price. Most of these idiots were cranking these guns out prior to the '94 AWB. In the Post-AWB recession world, a lot of these shoddy guns have reappeared on the market. I've come across one AK where not even the FFL selling it could find records of the manufacturer. It was a good-looking Norinco kit with the unusual "export" folding stock, but the bastards had drilled holes into the receiver to mount a cheap and ugly scope.

But then again, you probably already know this from your happy range time in the Sandbox.

I'd also advise you to take Gunbroker prices with a grain of salt. Since some suppliers won't sell to Maryland FFLs, our AK prices tend to be inflated. You're going to have to haggle with some Maryland FFLs if you find a used gun that you like. Certain non-Industry Partners are still living in December 2008. If you're willing to roll the dice and buy from Gunbroker, our IPs will give you a fair deal on the transfer. New AKs aren't a problem. Engage usually has a good supply of "prestige" AKs both new and used, Lou at Shooters Discount gets regular shipments of Century guns, and Gun Connection has a bit of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom