• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    Where? Looking on the BCM site they list complete uppers for like $700 not including the BCG. Am I looking in the wrong place?

A guy on the EE on M4C had his 16 in middy listed for 320. It's still listed. A BCG is like 140 for a LMT or BCM. Magpul handguards are like 30. A good budget AR can be a great gun.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Please don't forget about the wonderful and underrated SKS!
    You can find a good one for $300 pretty easily, hi cap mags are available and so are lots of aftermarket stuff.
    I know it's not an AK(shoots the same ammo) or an AR but it's still a great rifle.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll have to give a nod to the SKS, it does suit most purposes, but since the OP was thinking AR or AK we haven't deviated much from those 2 so far.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    just a thought on this...not to start anything...

but if i am picking one platform, i dont want to have to fix a damn thing on it...ever...

Sure you might not want to. But mechanical things are made by man and as such they will need maintenance and repair.

Even things as simple as spears and bows needed to be maintained. ;)

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Sure you might not want to. But mechanical things are made by man and as such they will need maintenance and repair.

lets not get confused here...there is a big difference between maintaining something, and fixing something lol

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Cleaning and oiling should be the only thing you do to a rifle. In a true break down of civilization, I don't want to be needing replacement parts for my rifle, since they will either be scarce or non-existant. And if you're betting that you'll find this stuff, you will lose.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Cleaning and oiling should be the only thing you do to a rifle. In a true break down of civilization, I don't want to be needing replacement parts for my rifle, since they will either be scarce or non-existant. And if you're betting that you'll find this stuff, you will lose.

this.

the thing about a rifle such as an AK, while it is not impossible for it to fail and something to break...it is highly unlikely to ever see this happen. the rifle is made entirely out of steel, the springs are some of the best in the world, every part is overbuilt to a point to almost be considered excessive. the weakest link in a AK is the firing pin, which again...almost never breaks...but if it does a new one can be made out of almost anything in less than 5 minutes.

while i do not like the fact that AK clones see massive use in third world countries, being used in moronic and barbaric ways...it really just goes to show how next to impossible they are to screw up. do you think these guys have spare parts? proper oil? clean them on a regular basis?...hell no, but when the rack that thing back and pull the trigger those AKs go bang every damn time.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    this.

the thing about a rifle such as an AK, while it is not impossible for it to fail and something to break...it is highly unlikely to ever see this happen. the rifle is made entirely out of steel, the springs are some of the best in the world, every part is overbuilt to a point to almost be considered excessive. the weakest link in a AK is the firing pin, which again...almost never breaks...but if it does a new one can be made out of almost anything in less than 5 minutes.

while i do not like the fact that AK clones see massive use in third world countries, being used in moronic and barbaric ways...it really just goes to show how next to impossible they are to screw up. do you think these guys have spare parts? proper oil? clean them on a regular basis?...hell no, but when the rack that thing back and pull the trigger those AKs go bang every damn time.

I love me some AR's but Id listen to this man...he trusts his life to an AK...(lives next to a graveyard)

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Now we're getting into semantics....

not really...adjusting head space, replacing springs and broken parts is not the same as stripping the gun down and whipping it down and re-oiling it.

I love me some AR's but Id listen to this man...he trusts his life to an AK...(lives next to a graveyard)

:lol: when they rise, i want to make damn sure i can put them back down...

:popcorn: - This ought to be good...

:innocent0 i dont know what you're talking about

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You can get those kids from Calvert Co, apparently they know how to make IED's very well.... :lol2:

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Thank you all so much for your input. I think I have made up my mind on an AK. It is a fun gun to shoot. I know it won't be like the full auto ones I got to play with in Iraq, but it will still be fun to throw lead down range. As soon as the Christmas rush is over in my house, I will definitely be in the market for one. I may start looking at Gun Broker between now and then. Then I will head up to Gun Connection. Someone showed a link to Atlantic Firearms, any input on them? If I were to purchase something through them how would it work? I can see driving 2 1/2 hours each way (and to do it a second time after my 7 day wait). Thanks again.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Maintenance is something you do on a set schedule. Fixing is something you do if something is broken, unless you're an engineer then you fix something that isn't broken.

:innocent0

In any event all firearms need maintenance, and if you shoot it enough it will need to be repaired (and we're not even getting into the Murphy induced "oops" factor).

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    no jokes, man. thats a serious security risk right there...maybe ill just set up some landmines...:D

You can get those kids from Calvert Co, apparently they know how to make IED's very well.... :lol2:

And to think I was just carelessly walking in those woods lol

I vote you setup a guard tower in those trees...at high risk times set up post...take shifts with friends....we pass the vodka and await the invasion

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom