• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    OTOH, urban riot outbreaks tend to happen pretty regularly, at least every 20-25 years or so - and we're overdue. I fully expect one if George Zimmerman is acquitted or if all charges are dropped.

Actually I'm waiting for the riots if Obama loses the next election. Somehow I don't think the peaceful revolutions we have had will be so peaceful.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Actually I'm waiting for the riots if Obama loses the next election. Somehow I don't think the peaceful revolutions we have had will be so peaceful.

canned food
    check
    alot of water
    check
    guns and more guns
    check
    ammo for a company worth of men
    check

understanding and love of my family and country

Hell yea!

Honestly, I can't remember ever seeing any incidents of the rural food-stamp class rioting in the streets. .

There are at least a few factors at work there...

1) rural populations aren't concentrated in high enough densities to achieve "urban" annonymity. Even in rural towns, there are not enough numbers of people to form the faceless mobs that allow riots to exist. That can only exist in a place where thousands of people inclined to bad behavior can come together and take advantage of being part of a mob. Go to the pet store and look at a tank of feeder goldfish. Pick one. Follow it. Now look away and count to 5... Then look for the fish again. Same principal. Rural communities have less fish in their tank.

2) rural populations are more widely dispersed, and need to travel, usually by vehcile, to reach a place to assemble. Look at a high school football game at a school out in the boonies. The parking lot is PACKED. If there were a riot, people would have to DRIVE to it. That ain't gonna happen for a host of reasons...

3) there is no tradition of rural rioting. So the population doesn't have anything to emulate. On the other hand, there is an extensive history of riots within cities, and the local populations within them are usually only a generation or so removed from the most recent one, so they hear plenty of stories about "back in the day"...

Hdgmedic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2011
    Honestly, I can't remember ever seeing any incidents of the rural food-stamp class rioting in the streets. Maybe trading haymakers at redneck weddings, or giving the local sheriff a fun chase, but that's about it.

OTOH, urban riot outbreaks tend to happen pretty regularly, at least every 20-25 years or so - and we're overdue. I fully expect one if George Zimmerman is acquitted or if all charges are dropped.

20-25 years? That's not too bad if you compare it to the annual asshattery displayed when a college team wins a bowl or a professional team wins a championship or whenever there's a global summit of some kind. Those events don't seem to get the press, but they sure do result in many millions of dollars in damages. Are those chock full of MUYs? I guess we have to wait until we see any type of food-stamp rioting. Considering it hasn't happened anywhere yet.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I don't think there would be immediate riots over food stamps, but if all benefits ceased there would be major issues. Add to it food shortages, then probably riots in every city. These people would not be content with eating rats and polluted fish...

What I fear is total economic collapse- think 1930's style but with alot of really nasty people and all of the now stripped entitlements class. You also have a higher population than back then, much fewer farms ( which means less farmers), people who have no idea how to be even 1% self reliant, and a heck of alot more mean people. They will rove in groups looking for food and water, probably a good many will be high on drugs ( think Somali pirates), and they will have no mercy on the "haves". The modern day Hooverville would be rife with drugs, rape, mayhem.

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    3) there is no tradition of rural rioting...

Sure there is.

They called them lynch mobs back in the day

Oh, and the EBT cards not being accepted by the stores, or not getting their funds? Well, since they switched to this EBT card, it's the same as a regular debit or credit card. If the money runs out for the EBT crowd, most likely it will run out for EVERYONE paid by the government. In fact, that has almost happened a few times, and has actually happened once (the last government shutdown that the Repubs caused caused EBT funding to be delayed by a week, i think it was) and the cities didn't burn back then.

I'm not quite sure what this guy's agenda is, but I wonder if he knows the guy who wrote the Turner Diaries

Sure there is.

They called them lynch mobs back in the day

Oh, and the EBT cards not being accepted by the stores, or not getting their funds? Well, since they switched to this EBT card, it's the same as a regular debit or credit card. If the money runs out for the EBT crowd, most likely it will run out for EVERYONE paid by the government. In fact, that has almost happened a few times, and has actually happened once (the last government shutdown that the Repubs caused caused EBT funding to be delayed by a week, i think it was) and the cities didn't burn back then.

I'm not quite sure what this guy's agenda is, but I wonder if he knows the guy who wrote the Turner Diaries

Equating Reconstruction/Jim Crow lynch mobs to modern-era urban rioters is a flawed comparison. The two groups have completely different agendas.

The lynch mob was looking to illegally sieze and murder one particular person or small group of people for extra-legal "justice". The typical lynch mob didn't burn down their own community, didn't pilage local businesses, didn't spawn hundreds of violent assaults or murders and property destruction the way a typical urban riot does.

Apples and oranges...

The food stamp/EBT/TANF/FHA programs will be the last thing to be de-funded, and when that happens, you can be assured that other, "non-essential" (ie, non-combatant) governmental pay has already been cut. The government is not stupid. They understand the implications of what will happen.

Thirdly, I'm sure Bracken is not aquainted with W.L. Pierce, since Pierce died 10 years ago, and was generally a recluse most of his later life.

But I do understand why it's important that you must somehow link the two together - even by your own speculation, because accusations of racism are what allow people who lack knowledge, facts, or accuracy to still feel as though they've "won" an argument. Because, as we've all been told, there's nothing worse in the whole world than to be thought of as a dirty racist, right?

Got nothing else? Pull the pin on the racism grenade and toss it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Dude, the whole thing reads like a racist screed if you fill in between the blanks. Makes me happy I wasn't the only one to notice.

mlance238

Mar 30, 2011
    Equating Reconstruction/Jim Crow lynch mobs to modern-era urban rioters is a flawed comparison. The two groups have completely different agendas.

The lynch mob was looking to illegally sieze and murder one particular person or small group of people for extra-legal "justice". The typical lynch mob didn't burn down their own community, didn't pilage local businesses, didn't spawn hundreds of violent assaults or murders and property destruction the way a typical urban riot does.

Apples and oranges...

The food stamp/EBT/TANF/FHA programs will be the last thing to be de-funded, and when that happens, you can be assured that other, "non-essential" (ie, non-combatant) governmental pay has already been cut. The government is not stupid. They understand the implications of what will happen.

Thirdly, I'm sure Bracken is not aquainted with W.L. Pierce, since Pierce died 10 years ago, and was generally a recluse most of his later life.

But I do understand why it's important that you must somehow link the two together - even by your own speculation, because accusations of racism are what allow people who lack knowledge, facts, or accuracy to still feel as though they've "won" an argument. Because, as we've all been told, there's nothing worse in the whole world than to be thought of as a dirty racist, right?

Got nothing else? Pull the pin on the racism grenade and toss it.

Lots of win right here. Thank you. :thumbsup:

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Sure there are going to be urban riots sometime and in some American city. There always have been so it is a safe assumption. Being prepared for such an event is a good idea.

The problem with the article is he makes too many assumptions about exactly how it could go down and who will do what. Those assumptions discredit his original points.

Hdgmedic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2011
    Sure there are going to be urban riots sometime and in some American city. There always have been so it is a safe assumption. Being prepared for such an event is a good idea.

The problem with the article is he makes too many assumptions about exactly how it could go down and who will do what. Those assumptions discredit his original points.

Yes. And people are so quick to not only believe that version, but but to pile on more "logic" about why it will absolutely be that way.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Dude, the whole thing reads like a racist screed if you fill in between the blanks. Makes me happy I wasn't the only one to notice.

erwos, i do not know you, you do not know me. i cast no judgement on you, but i find the "racist" thing out of order.

the author of the piece indicated 'urban' as the topic of discussion. stats support the fact most urban areas are the majority black, hispanic and asian.

i grew up in a poverty level home, the only white boy in a majority black community in alexandria, VA. i lived through the 60's riots and all we learned from then. the ensuing riots and racial discord since then, remains pretty much a constant.

the author misses the point that when SHTF, we will no longer be able to communicate via smart (dumb) phones, and mass comm's will be altogether a thing of the past. if the services that supply the service can withstand the rioting and chaos, you can bet yer sweet bippy the gubment will shut down all mass comm's.

left to fend for themselves, who knows what frightened chaos may ensue?

as for the article itself, all seems plausible and possible, but the irony is, in such circumstances, our dear suburbia will be suffering a double blow; one from the gubments INACTIONS, and from those who roamed outside the city limits to find something to feed their kids.

carry on.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    There are at least a few factors at work there...

1) rural populations aren't concentrated in high enough densities to achieve "urban" annonymity.

True, what you would see in rural areas would be very explicit and deliberate

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Wonder what would happen if the evening before the election, the Florida Judge dismisses all charges against Zimmerman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom