• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Me with the Colt 6721 and a 1,000 rounds of ball and the wife with the Quality Hardware Carbine and all the ammo she can handle. If here, the boy will sling the M1A mit Leupold variable power and all the ammo he can tote.

Lew--Ranger63

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    MLs are fun.

But..... Half cock, measure powder, pour powder, retrieve ball, insert ball, ram ball, replace ram rod, open frizzen, prime pan, close frizzen, full cock, aim, and fire is more than I'm willing to put up with with a Zombie gnawing through my cranium.

But that's just me.

Don't wait until they are gnawing on your cranium before you start. :D

You might want some BP cartridge guns and even some cap and ball arms to tide you over. My favorite handgun would be a Ruger Old Army with conversions cylinders in both .45 ACP and .45 Colt, it gives lots of options to make it go bang.

Most modern stuff gets to be real ammo sensitive and when you have to start reloading with non standard powders and home cast wheel weight bullets the semi autos become single shot stove pipers. Then add in a lack of spare parts and arsenal trained gunsmiths you might as well throw them over the side of the boat and use them as an anchor. The simpler wheel guns and especially single actions at one time were kept shooting by blacksmiths on the frontier.

Like most things in life there is no single best answer but you should have room in your safe for a few examples of guns the worked for hundreds of years in some extreme real life and death survival situations. You might also want to keep a little slip of paper in there with the formula for Black Powder and manufacturing notes just in case. A trip to the DuPont black powder works at the Hagley museum is an interesting and educational trip, not far from Cabela's Delaware.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    With being so close to Baltimore, if something were to go down, all points north and west are going to be jammed with cars.

We would stay put.

The first rifle out of case is one of 4 ARs.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Don't wait until they are gnawing on your cranium before you start. :D

You might want some BP cartridge guns and even some cap and ball arms to tide you over. My favorite handgun would be a Ruger Old Army with conversions cylinders in both .45 ACP and .45 Colt, it gives lots of options to make it go bang.

Most modern stuff gets to be real ammo sensitive and when you have to start reloading with non standard powders and home cast wheel weight bullets the semi autos become single shot stove pipers. Then add in a lack of spare parts and arsenal trained gunsmiths you might as well throw them over the side of the boat and use them as an anchor. The simpler wheel guns and especially single actions at one time were kept shooting by blacksmiths on the frontier.

Like most things in life there is no single best answer but you should have room in your safe for a few examples of guns the worked for hundreds of years in some extreme real life and death survival situations. You might also want to keep a little slip of paper in there with the formula for Black Powder and manufacturing notes just in case. A trip to the DuPont black powder works at the Hagley museum is an interesting and educational trip, not far from Cabela's Delaware.

It's why I love bone stock Yugoslavian M48s and SKSs.

They'll still be working properly when other guns give up the ghost.

Not to be confused with a ghost gun. Damned untraceable kitten killers.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    M1A2 Abrahms converted to run on liberals fears.

:-D

Actually a 20" AR-15 .223 wylde with a mix of m193 and gold dots. I don't currently have a pistol for a side arm, though I'd like to fix that at some point. Depending on what the SHTF was I'd consider strapping my 10/22 to me as well.

If I was bugging out in a vehicle I'd take it all and just keep the AR handy if I had to bailout if the vehicle.

My bugout bag isn't exactly ideal right now, but it has the basics for a couple of days that could really be stretched to a couple of weeks or longer depending on circumstances. Biggest issue is it just doesn't have much space or utility for ammo. I'd probably take or could fit the 6x30rnd mags I've got in it fine (and one in my gun). More than that and no.

At some point I want to get a nicer BOB that is slightly larger for a bit more survival stuff and a separate satchel for ammo/mags. I don't need to carry Fort Knox, but I'd ideally like to be able to bug out with 6 mags at hand and at least 4 in my bag.

My current BOB is about 8lbs and my idealized bag would be 20. So I figure with 10lbs of ammo and a 10lb (with full 30rnd mag) rifle I won't be too overloaded. 5lbs for a 10/22+a brick (what? 5 more pounds?) of 22lr may or may not end up being "too much". That said, when I do have a pistol I'd probably just carry that and a couple of spare mags.

At some point once I've built one, I'd probably go 16" AR to both be a bit lighter and handier.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Even considering end of the world I don't worry about keeping my guns running. Oh, I'd certainly like more ammo if that is a real consideration, but I am probably not going to survive if I need to worry about going through thousands of rounds of ammo (even I've the time span of the rest of my life). As for maintenance, a handful of spare parts or even 2-3 rifles that share parts (like a AR-15s) and you could likely keep them running for tens of thousands of rounds.

World ends and you probably aren't going to be shooting unless you are aiming to kill something, not just putting a couple of thousand down range for fun every year. I absolutely have enough cleaner and oil to keep my guns running for life if it came to that (a couple cases of motor oil and several bottles of carb cleaner. Not as good as CLP, but it can get the job done)

Mr H

Banana'd
    Welp!

Zombies require head shots.

Soooo, I'm thinking the rifle should be set-up with optics. And possibly a flash light with mega lumens. For night time head shots.

Thinking 1-4 for a scope, but I'm a huge 2-7 fan.

PS: Can Zombies see bright lights at night? Or are they triggered by movement alone when starved for a brain buffet?

Noise. What, you nevva seed WWZ??!

;)

Suppressor is required.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I got so many lowers from South Carroll Sporting Goods that SCSG cannot be the only qualifier. lol Going to have to think about barrel selection, etc. Then again, SCSG did the transfer on my Benelli M4, so maybe the Benelli.

When the Zombie Horde is beating down your door, don't get in a panic and put a pencil barrel on a post FSA2013 lower.

Zombies eat the kids or break the law? Zombies eat the kids or break the law.

Decisions. Decisions.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Even considering end of the world I don't worry about keeping my guns running. Oh, I'd certainly like more ammo if that is a real consideration, but I am probably not going to survive if I need to worry about going through thousands of rounds of ammo (even I've the time span of the rest of my life). As for maintenance, a handful of spare parts or even 2-3 rifles that share parts (like a AR-15s) and you could likely keep them running for tens of thousands of rounds.

World ends and you probably aren't going to be shooting unless you are aiming to kill something, not just putting a couple of thousand down range for fun every year. I absolutely have enough cleaner and oil to keep my guns running for life if it came to that (a couple cases of motor oil and several bottles of carb cleaner. Not as good as CLP, but it can get the job done)

Yep. If the poo hits the fan, nobody is heading to AGC to shoot a couple hundred for fun, or doing a mag dump in the backyard for the feel good of it. If things are really bad, there probably will not be many targets around, and I'd probably opt for trapping deer, etc. in lieu of using a bullet on them unless times were really lean.

This subject does make for good conversation though, and it is usually spurred by people watching TV series and movies that paint some big zombie apocalypse when in reality, most people would just be dead in a couple of days if there is some apocalyptic event. This subject also helps to drive gun and ammo sales. Lord knows we all want to have the most awesomer zombie gun out there, just in case we need to be like Stallone, Arnold, Bruce Willis, or any of the other Expendables.

Now, what if there was an alien invasion?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    When the Zombie Horde is beating down your door, don't get in a panic and put a pencil barrel on a post FSA2013 lower.

Zombies eat the kids or break the law? Zombies eat the kids or break the law.

Decisions. Decisions.

Lucky for me, all but 3 were pre FSA2013, and the 3 that were not pre FSA2013 are going to be SBR's once I get around to finishing them. So, when the zombies try to eat the kids, I'll most likely still be obeying the laws of this wonderful state. lol Wouldn't want to go to prison for using the wrong tool for the job.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Lucky for me, all but 3 were pre FSA2013, and the 3 that were not pre FSA2013 are going to be SBR's once I get around to finishing them. So, when the zombies try to eat the kids, I'll most likely still be obeying the laws of this wonderful state. lol Wouldn't want to go to prison for using the wrong tool for the job.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Chances are they already ate the judge.

No Prosecution For You.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Something like this probably.

Attachments

• IMG_4257.JPG
      IMG_4257.JPG
      24.1 KB · Views: 346

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yep. If the poo hits the fan, nobody is heading to AGC to shoot a couple hundred for fun, or doing a mag dump in the backyard for the feel good of it. If things are really bad, there probably will not be many targets around, and I'd probably opt for trapping deer, etc. in lieu of using a bullet on them unless times were really lean.

This subject does make for good conversation though, and it is usually spurred by people watching TV series and movies that paint some big zombie apocalypse when in reality, most people would just be dead in a couple of days if there is some apocalyptic event. This subject also helps to drive gun and ammo sales. Lord knows we all want to have the most awesomer zombie gun out there, just in case we need to be like Stallone, Arnold, Bruce Willis, or any of the other Expendables.

Now, what if there was an alien invasion?

Illegal or extraterrestrial? :-D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom