What's the cheapest way and place in MD to be trained for the CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    clandestine, from what I hear if you teach for CCW like you do AR building, you would make a good one.
    I appreciate the kind words. Thank you

My students over the past several years travel far to come take my AR class. I could offer the MD W&C to my students on the back end of the AR class to enhance the value of their trip.

Many of my students who are not Military have asked about training to get a MD permit, but the local instructors are not interested.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nice to hear from you.

I have messaged and even met some folks who have learned from you. Forgive me if my memory is off on which took your course and/or learned from others who did.

But Daemon Assassin invited me to his house as he was dong a build. I had researched build step by steps, so I had a general knowledge, now I just have to get some cash together plus either get with you, Daemon, Ski PatrolDude, trickg, and a few other guys to get the low down on good parts to shop for, and maybe get their help/ tools to do the job.

In short, I learned about 300 BLK from daemon. Although I likely would try 5.56 as it is so common.

Thanks again and all my best to you.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I appreciate the kind words. Thank you

My students over the past several years travel far to come take my AR class. I could offer the MD W&C to my students on the back end of the AR class to enhance the value of their trip.

Many of my students who are not Military have asked about training to get a MD permit, but the local instructors are not interested.
    If no one in your area wants to teach them feel free to send them my way in Harford Co/Delta Pa

TD

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    The only way I can see doing the hgp thing full time is to have unlimited access to a range and for free. And have a gun store back you by sending you students.

Even at 300 a student you would need to teach 20 people a month to make anything after taxes, insurance and licenses. Too hard to get that many and keep it rolling every month.

More power to those that are trying it.
    This is exactly right, just instructing don’t pay the bills. Plus, unless you’re doing it you don’t realize how much time it takes outside of the class time.

My dream, when I hit the lottery, is a gun shop connected to a range with a nice classroom and training area.

TD

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    This is exactly right, just instructing don’t pay the bills. Plus, unless you’re doing it you don’t realize how much time it takes outside of the class time.

My dream, when I hit the lottery, is a gun shop connected to a range with a nice classroom and training area.

TD
    I know how much time it takes, I spent 4 hours just making the new power point I did.

If I won the lottery, among other things I would open the range with class rooms and give the classes for free.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

TD
    You may be right regarding Carry Classes

I disagree about other firearm instruction. I make more from instructing "part time" than I do my full time job.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Definitely more of a hobby to do it than it is trying to live it as a career.
    Definitely.

Part time gig, unless you're running an FFL, etc.

Plus side- (see your CPA/tax guy) ammo, range time, future firearms and accessory purchases may be deductible as 'business expenses.'

Last edited:

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I could offer the MD W&C to my students on the back end of the AR class to enhance the value of their trip.

Just DO it.

Tax bennies alone make it worthwhile, no matter how many students you run thru annually.

(Business losses are lovely come April - 1040 time.)

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    You may be right regarding Carry Classes

I disagree about other firearm instruction. I make more from instructing "part time" than I do my full time job.
    Lucky guy. I ve tried to offer other courses, NRA stuff, but have gotten little interest. Who knows what to future holds.

TD

rein217

MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2024
    It seems that the fee from the MD police site is $125 + $65 for finger printing.
    Some range offer a $40 training class to qualify to buy a handgun and also a $300 class for CCW. Is that $300 a scam?
    If I understand well, there's no special training to be able to carry, correct?
    Can't remember the cost but it was very reasonable at Gi GI's in Port Republic, md

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yup I know

But if I do hit it big I’ll be sure to include my MDS friends

TD
    I'm of the ilk "Never sell a used car to a family member", but the only deal I would go in on would be a small property purchase to put a small building/classroom and range on with some members here.
    I think 5 or so of us would rule the training world in MD with that consortium.

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    I'm of the ilk "Never sell a used car to a family member", but the only deal I would go in on would be a small property purchase to put a small building/classroom and range on with some members here.

Big enough for a range… and a motocross track!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    You come up with your own money for the track portion of the land. Since that's seems more important to you. LOL

Well, since I’ve taught about two dozen classes since the last time I’ve even looked at my bike, I’d say your assessment of my priorities is off a little. Lol

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    You can teach the motoX portion of shooting class lol

giphy.gif

It’s a thing.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I agree with the last statement that Blaster229 made. If ANY of this happened where Blaster, clandestine and a few other fellas here are involved in the training, I will be the first to say that it would be my go to training facility. From my experience with certain members on here, I would review their knowledge as VITAL to learn from if one wants to LEARN the basics and the advanced knowledge needed to keep oneself and their loved ones alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom