What's the cheapest way and place in MD to be trained for the CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I really don’t know the difference between QHIC and QHIL. I know what I can teach, but when I asked a Trooper at the gun unit, he didn’t even know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QHIC is Certification. All you needed was FITP as a certified instructor. (you)
    QHIL is License. Experience and some dumb qual course and someone can become certified. (me)

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    QHIC is Certification. All you needed was FITP as a certified instructor. (you)
    QHIL is License. Experience and some dumb qual course and someone can become certified. (me)

That reminds me, my QHIL number is 2016… 2nd renewal is around the corner.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    The ease of getting the QHIC is attractive to many. As stated, at this point they both qualify a person to teach the same stuff.

TD
    I bet in a year or two the state is going to ask proof of giving classes if no one uses that persons qhic number. IE If you have the qhic and go 2 or 3 years with anyone being signed off I bet they start to complain.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I bet in a year or two the state is going to ask proof of giving classes if no one uses that persons qhic number. IE If you have the qhic and go 2 or 3 years with anyone being signed off I bet they start to complain.
    I bet if you call everyone on the list, 70 percent will probably say they don't teach "anymore".

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland

I was thinking that since Maryland nickels and dimes everyone to death, they would charge an enormous fee to receive the license.

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    As I am sitting here, trying to send an “email campaign” to generate some business, I’ll say this… It’s not easy trying to establish a new business and keeping your head above water. I got certified in 2016, thinking I would start preparing for life after retiring from my Federal job. When I finally did retire last year, Gun Commander LLC was not substantial enough to be my only “retirement gig.” So with that, I secured another job as a full time firearms instructor for USCP. I am fortunate that I can still pay the bills, while trying to build this business. This “business” is not easy! There’s a lot of work that goes into putting on a class and a lot of recurring expenses too! It’s hard to compete with the big guys with retail stores and ranges. I find myself questioning whether it is worth it or not. But with classes like the one I just did, where I can watch the whole group improve their weapons handling skills, increase speed and accuracy, and then thank me with sincere appreciation, for teaching them valuable life skills, the answer is “yes!”

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    .… It’s not easy trying to establish a new business and keeping your head above water.
    Good luck to you sir!

Keepin' your head above water,
    Making a wave when you can.
    Temporary lay offs.
    Good Times.
    Easy credit rip offs.
    Good Times.
    Scratchin' and survivin'.
    Good Times.
    Hangin' in and jivin'
    Good Times.
    Ain't we lucky we got 'em
    Good Times

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    Good luck to you sir!

Keepin' your head above water,
    Making a wave when you can.
    Temporary lay offs.
    Good Times.
    Easy credit rip offs.
    Good Times.
    Scratchin' and survivin'.
    Good Times.
    Hangin' in and jivin'
    Good Times.
    Ain't we lucky we got 'em
    Good Times

Thank you!!

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    As I am sitting here, trying to send an “email campaign” to generate some business, I’ll say this… It’s not easy trying to establish a new business and keeping your head above water. I got certified in 2016, thinking I would start preparing for life after retiring from my Federal job. When I finally did retire last year, Gun Commander LLC was not substantial enough to be my only “retirement gig.” So with that, I secured another job as a full time firearms instructor for USCP. I am fortunate that I can still pay the bills, while trying to build this business. This “business” is not easy! There’s a lot of work that goes into putting on a class and a lot of recurring expenses too! It’s hard to compete with the big guys with retail stores and ranges. I find myself questioning whether it is worth it or not. But with classes like the one I just did, where I can watch the whole group improve their weapons handling skills, increase speed and accuracy, and then thank me with sincere appreciation, for teaching them valuable life skills, the answer is “yes!”

I feel the same. I’ve thought about making this a retirement gig but that would be tough. I’ve always thought advertising was my big weakness, just don’t think can get the word out enough, but it could also be less demand for courses.

I really enjoy teaching and seeing people improve. I can retire from my real teaching gig in less than 3 years, guess we’ll see what happens.

Maybe we should get the MDS instructors together and start a business

TD

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    I feel the same. I’ve thought about making this a retirement gig but that would be tough. I’ve always thought advertising was my big weakness, just don’t think can get the word out enough, but it could also be less demand for courses.

I really enjoy teaching and seeing people improve. I can retire from my real teaching gig in less than 3 years, guess we’ll see what happens.

Maybe we should get the MDS instructors together and start a business

TD

Best of luck to you my friend. Keep on keeping on!

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    The only way I can see doing the hgp thing full time is to have unlimited access to a range and for free. And have a gun store back you by sending you students.

Even at 300 a student you would need to teach 20 people a month to make anything after taxes, insurance and licenses. Too hard to get that many and keep it rolling every month.

More power to those that are trying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom