What's the cheapest way and place in MD to be trained for the CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phor

Mar 7, 2009
    It seems that the fee from the MD police site is $125 + $65 for finger printing.
    Some range offer a $40 training class to qualify to buy a handgun and also a $300 class for CCW. Is that $300 a scam?
    If I understand well, there's no special training to be able to carry, correct?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The entire licensing/ training scheme is a scam. An instructor charging $300 is not.

The absolute cheapest cost I saw for the W&C training last year was $150. Other places
    were charging $200 and up. Some of them included fingerprints and help with the photo and filling out the application.
    State law requires a 16 training course including a course of fire with minimum score. The instructors also have to
    pay the range fee for the students. There is also a wide range of quality in the training also.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    It seems that the fee from the MD police site is $125 + $65 for finger printing.
    Some range offer a $40 training class to qualify to buy a handgun and also a $300 class for CCW. Is that $300 a scam?

There is a class that is required for the carry permit, so yes there is 'special training'.

Once you have a carry permit you can apply for the HQL (permit to purchase), so you do not need to take both courses.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    For the W&C C (CCW) there is definitely a special course needed. Unless exempt but I’m not up on the exemptions. And it needs to be given by a MD approved instructor. You can find the list on the MSP site I think.

Cost is relative. If all you want is a checkbox (which is what I wanted at the time) as long as the instructor does a full 16 hours and the required fire course, it doesn’t much matter.

Some instructors are better than others. Meaning you will get more out of the class than just walking through PowerPoint slides.

Also, some places, the course cost includes a picture and the fingerprinting. Some you have to do that separately on your own.

I prefilled my app with as much as I could. After the class I submitted that evening with the course completion cert, PIC and live scan fingerprint info.

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    I think one of the sponsors here does the WCP class for $175 or so. I do think some individuals are “scamming” as they are charging additionally for HQL when people are taking the WCP class…

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    I just did my training with North Harford FIrearms training they exceed MDs 25 rounds to qualify, and you learn to shoot on the move and how to clear malfunctions. It was $450 in total rented a gun, holster, and mag pouch and I will say it was worth my money it covered Utah, MDs HQL, and the CCW portion in 16 hours and I learned a whole lot about handguns and went from 0 rounds through a handgun to 400ish in 1 day.

If you're just looking to qualify then sure this is more then you are looking to pay but if you want to actually learn I think it's worth it I think.

phor

Mar 7, 2009
    Thanks for your input, all of you. So can somebody recommend a place to get the training without being scammed?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    there are a number of Industry Partners trainers listed here on MDS. Most of them are on the upper end of quality for their W&C classes.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    If you are looking for the cheapest you will find cheap instruction. I feel my course is priced fairly at 275.00 and will put it up against any other course.

There is a lot of work done before and after the course students never see. I agree some take advantage of students by charging huge prices and, unfortunately, are poor instructors. Ask students who have taken the course and call the instructor. Talk to them about your goals and make an educated decision. I’d be happy to discuss my course with you.

TD

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Our class is $300. It includes the required 16 hours of training, passport photos, lunches both days, coffee and water, firearm and ammo (if needed). We also assist in submitting application if the student desires the assistance. We could not do all of this any cheaper, and make it worthwhile.

edit: miles71 is 100% correct in saying there is a lot of work done before and after the class. Preparing the student booklets, “herding the cats”, and setting up the classroom are just a few things we do to prepare. Afterwards, the clean-up, and filing away paperwork. Then we assist folks with their HQL, once their HGP is approved. It is all very time consuming.

Last edited:

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    $125+ 65 for finger printing is awesome.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Our class is $300. It includes the required 16 hours of training, passport photos, lunches both days, coffee and water, firearm and ammo (if needed). We also assist in submitting application if the student desires the assistance. We could not do all of this any cheaper, and make it worthwhile.

edit: miles71 is 100% correct in saying there is a lot of work done before and after the class. Preparing the student booklets, “herding the cats”, and setting up the classroom are just a few things we do to prepare. Afterwards, the clean-up, and filing away paperwork. Then we assist folks with their HQL, once their HGP is approved. It is all very time consuming.
    I didn’t mean to turn this into a comparison post or to have anyone not an industry partner on the forum to get in trouble for posting course info. I did want to get the point across to do some research and find the best training possible.

TD

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The average price for the MD Wear and Carry 16 hour course is $300. As others have said many instructors including myself include other services at no additional charge. Watch out for the ones that want to add a surcharge for everything. Our course includes certifications for Utah. The passport photos and ink fingerprinting required to apply for the UT permit and postage of the UT permit application packet. We cover 12 hours in the classroom going over the required material then head to the range. We have multiple handguns to choose from and include 50 rounds of ammunition at no additional charge.

Every instructor/company does the course a little different. Do your research and find the one that fits best for your needs, schedule and budget.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    $125+ 65 for finger printing is awesome.

How is that awesome?
    That’s what the state charges for the application and what Livescan fingerprints costs. That doesn’t include the training class which is probably going to run another $275-$350

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom