• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    That's called libertarian. Pick a party and push it toward your way of thinking. Do that and there are no losers. Stay on the sidelines and we all lose. There is no third way and no viable third way right now.

Time to get in the fight.

My issue with the Libertarian party is that their views on limited government are a bit excessive, IMO. I do admit though that I haven't done a ton of research. What I've heard from some of their candidates has turned me off somewhat.

I would vote for most Libertarians over just about ANY Republican or Democrat though.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    My issue with the Libertarian party is that their views on limited government are a bit excessive, IMO. I do admit though that I haven't done a ton of research. What I've heard from some of their candidates has turned me off somewhat.

I would vote for most Libertarians over just about ANY Republican or Democrat though.

Don't be ridiculous, there's no such thing.

Founding Fathers = Minarchist Libertarians. Take that for what you want.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

Then you are voting for Any Republican or Democrat. Read my posts on this. There is no viable third party. That's the deal. Pick party and push it to the libertarian view.

NOW!

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I don't see voting libertarian as a waste for me. While I'm almost certain that well never have a Libertarian President or more than a handful of Libertarians in Congress, voting that way sends a message. It says "hey you Democrats and Republicans, look at these votes you're missing out on because you're being too extreme".

The catch is that I live in central Maryland where national election results are a forgone conclusion. If I were to ever vote in a race that was actually close, I'd likely pick one party or the other.

This is just how I see things and what I do. Everybody should vote their own conscience.

Give me 10 Libertarians In the Senate. Give me 50 in the house. Then we can change policy. MD COUNTS FOR NOTHING AT VOTE TIME. Its all intraparty. Its volunteers and contributions and social media.

Nobody looks at libertarians as anything Other than principled objectors. If we had numbers then maybe someday. Right now look at the trends in government... we must get in the game at the party level...

TIME IS NOT ON OUR SIDE..

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Nobody looks at libertarians as anything Other than principled objectors. If we had numbers then maybe someday. Right now look at the trends in government... we must get in the game at the party level...

In a close election, Republicans and Democrats look at libertarians as a source of votes. To court those voters, they will, at least sometimes, soften their views to attract said libertarians.

Since my vote for President or Senate is effectively for Democrat no matter what I vote, I see myself voting for a Libertarian candidate as sending a message to Republicans saying, "Hey you, ditch the crazy extreme shit and come back towards the middle and maybe I'll vote for you."

At least that's how I see it.

Note, it's important to distinguish between Libertarians and libertarians. The former is a party, and Democrats and Republicans will never let a third party gain traction. The latter is a philosophy that knows no party bounds. I feel that it is these libertarians that will change things.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    In a close election, Republicans and Democrats look at libertarians as a source of votes. To court those voters, they will, at least sometimes, soften their views to attract said libertarians.

Since my vote for President or Senate is effectively for Democrat no matter what I vote, I see myself voting for a Libertarian candidate as sending a message to Republicans saying, "Hey you, ditch the crazy extreme shit and come back towards the middle and maybe I'll vote for you."

At least that's how I see it.

Note, it's important to distinguish between Libertarians and libertarians. The former is a party, and Democrats and Republicans will never let a third party gain traction. The latter is a philosophy that knows no party bounds. I feel that it is these libertarians that will change things.

Yes but more inside than outside

First Republicans do not look at Md as a place to compete.
    Second those that do are just as likely to mark them as disaffected Democrats vs disaffected Republicans. Thus they may not take the bait.

So while I agree with your goal, your method is less than optimal in my opinion. The best way to send a message is to show up and tell them directly, and since I am sure you do this, I am really speaking to others here who do not......

b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    Good for you. When it all goes to hell,you can say ," Don't blame me. It passed me off so I stayed out of it."

You're right. Maybe it's time to do something. I'm moving to Baltimore soon, and looked up the delegates. 3 people ran and 3 of them got elected, which means that the competition is basically to get more recognition than just one of them. They're all democrats, though. But if we want more pro-gun people over there.... well.... win/win, right?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    You're right. Maybe it's time to do something. I'm moving to Baltimore soon, and looked up the delegates. 3 people ran and 3 of them got elected, which means that the competition is basically to get more recognition than just one of them. They're all democrats, though. But if we want more pro-gun people over there.... well.... win/win, right?

Like I said. Pick your party and work to change it. I don't hate democrats, I have worked with a few in my time.

You might even get my explicit support ....,;)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Then you are voting for Any Republican or Democrat. Read my posts on this. There is no viable third party. That's the deal. Pick party and push it to the libertarian view.

NOW!

RE-POST ALERT!!! RE-POST ALERT!!!

Please don't tell the re-post police!!!

I completely agree with your statement.

I'm a Libertarian at heart, but there is no viable Libertarian Party in the country yet.

So, for now, I must remain a Republican that just switched to Democrat so I can VOTE in the 2014 closed Democratic primaries in the hopes that my current District 42 Senator gets the boot.

I'm not sure what tail is wagging what dog anymore.

And, as an addition to my re-post. This is "PRECISELY" the time for "EEEEXXXXTTTTRRRREEEEMMMMIIIISSSSMMMM!!!!"

Can you hear me now???

You can't have your Rainbows and your Unicorns and your AR-15's too.

So whadda ya say ya put away yer Rainbow Polish, put yer Unicorn out ti Pasture an join the team thar Little Buckaroos???

PPPIIICCCKKK AAA SSSIIIDDDEEE AAANNNDDD FFFIIIGGGHHHTTT!!!

I hate all these little, bobbleheaded, color thingies, but if I can find the RIGHT (pun intended) one I'll use it. :banghead:

Dec 31, 2012
    Speak libertarian and vote as a democrat.
    That's the only thing that will have a chance in Maryland.

I gave up 20 years of third party registration to become a D this year and vote in the primary. It doesn't matter that you believe something to your core if at election time your vote is pissed away down the rabbit hole.

Protest votes mean little and extreme posts mean even less.

Speak to family, friends, coworkers.
    Speak at open hearings when you can.
    Put your money and time behind viable candidates to unseat the entrenched power base.
    Send your message on election day and every election day thereafter.

It's about working within the system to change it to your liking which will not happen quickly.
    It's not about unicorns versus AR's.

...or ponies

chubby

Feb 13, 2013
    It appears to me, the problem is mostly ignorance! Most bleeding heart liberals know nothing about guns. They have never been around guns, don't know how to use one. All they know is what they here from the media! We all know who's side the media is on! This didn't happen overnight, it's been in the works for years. The couch potato, and video game nut that never went outside to experience the world, learned all from the boob tube! You can talk to them until your blue in the face, and they look at you as if you had a third eye! These type of people will only learn reality when it bites off their face! I have tried to have civil conversations with anti's, and it's like talking to a wall! I wish I knew what the answer was, but it's beyond me. I'm sure at some point we will be able to say, I told you so! I just hope it's not to late at that point.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It appears to me, the problem is mostly ignorance! Most bleeding heart liberals know nothing about guns. They have never been around guns, don't know how to use one. All they know is what they here from the media! We all know who's side the media is on! This didn't happen overnight, it's been in the works for years. The couch potato, and video game nut that never went outside to experience the world, learned all from the boob tube! You can talk to them until your blue in the face, and they look at you as if you had a third eye! These type of people will only learn reality when it bites off their face! I have tried to have civil conversations with anti's, and it's like talking to a wall! I wish I knew what the answer was, but it's beyond me. I'm sure at some point we will be able to say, I told you so! I just hope it's not to late at that point.

You just described half of my family.

They said I could come back and tell them "I told you so".

I told them I don't want to be in the position to have to utter those four words.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    You just described half of my family.

They said I could come back and tell them "I told you so".

I told them I don't want to be in the position to have to utter those four words.

I told them I would not be around long enough to tell them anything. I do not need liabilities in an emergency. As a fringe benefit we have not spoken in years and they no longer ask for money :) Your millage may vary, and I am told some folks like their family for unknown reasons :)

chubby

Feb 13, 2013
    Yes, I hear ya! My family member is the opposition also. Other then our different opinions on our rights being trampled on, we have a pretty good relationship! It's very tough to have 2 people so far apart on their opinion of an issue. It's a fine line to have to walk! I'm viewed as the guy spending to much money on purchasing the things I want before it's no longer an option! Got to get it while I can, that's the way I see it! If we're lucky, we won't have to say I told you so!! I'm sure there are a lot more MDS guys with the same issue!

TheGoodSoldier

Oath Keeper
    Jan 25, 2013
    Silver Spring
    +1, My cousin (Who lives in VA) is one of those people who hides this hobby of collecting and sporting of firearms from others not directly involved in his personal life. I on the other hand realized right off that bat how important it is to show those around me what it is I do and how professionally and responsibly I handle and store my firearms. I spent 8 out of my 12 months deployed trying to determine if I felt responsible and competent enough to own my own (Coming from a Soldier), why on earth would I feel I need to hide it all away from everyone?

chubby

Feb 13, 2013
    It's not a secret in my house! I grew up in a law enforcement household, I've been around firearms my whole life! My son and I are avid hunters. I've taught both my children gun safety, and how to shoot and handle guns safely. Our guns are stored safely, and safety is always number one in this house! It is what it is, I'll just have to take it as it comes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom