What training are YOU planning to take in 2015?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    So a guy has $500 to spend on a shooting school. I would argue that money would be better spent with a .mil instructor - especially one with actual combat experience - especially with an instructor with combat experience from the SOF community. That is my point.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I see. If that was your point I missed it with the rest of the flexing.

I largely agree. But I think it depends on where a person is on his or her training journey. For example, I was just watching some Rob Leatham videos and feel like he could diagnose a bunch of my issues fast, yet I don't know that he was ever in the military.

And when it comes to combat experience, again, it depends. I took a short class with two combat vets teaching the class, but they said things that had me shaking my head, things that I know Howe and Pannone would "differ" with. Why? Well, for one thing, it was handgun based, yet I wonder if either guy was even issued a handgun, let alone conceal one, as they were not from any SOF unit.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    And you bring up some good points. A new student might be fine with more basic instruction.

The best CCW Executive Protection class I ever had was from a DS agent who was also Army SF. So yes, as B229 also pointed out, an LEO might be able to really go into the finer points of CCW - how to not print the gun, how to skin leather without snagging on your clothes, ect.

However, when it comes to 'shoot em in the face time', I personally want instruction from a guy who really knows something about shooting people in the face.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    And you bring up some good points. A new student might be fine with more basic instruction.

The best CCW Executive Protection class I ever had was from a DS agent who was also Army SF. So yes, as B229 also pointed out, an LEO might be able to really go into the finer points of CCW - how to not print the gun, how to skin leather without snagging on your clothes, ect.

However, when it comes to 'shoot em in the face time', I personally want instruction from a guy who really knows something about shooting people in the face.

Unfortunately civilians do not to get the chance to frag a room before they go in guns a blazin'.
    One of my best friends is a SEAL. He is terrible with a pistol and would be the first to admit it. He says " We never get the chance to shoot someone with our secondary" and to stop ragging on him. Pretty funny actually. But he will kill your face and everything attached to it very easily with an MP5. I don't feed the MP5 for him anymore when he visits because it gets expensive.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Unfortunately civilians do not to get the chance to frag a room before they go in guns a blazin'.
    One of my best friends is a SEAL. He is terrible with a pistol and would be the first to admit it. He says " We never get the chance to shoot someone with our secondary" and to stop ragging on him. Pretty funny actually. But he will kill your face and everything attached to it very easily with an MP5. I don't feed the MP5 for him anymore when he visits because it gets expensive.

Sometimes life just isn't fair! :D

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    When I trained with CCJA, the instructor (former Ranger and something else, I forget what) was adamant that two point slings were the only way to go. He said a single point sling just bangs into your knees when you are running, etc and is no good when humping your gear over distance, etc.

When I trained with CMCT the instructor (SWAT), was fairly adamant that a single point sling is the way to go because it lets you go hands-on faster with a bad guy, etc.

Who is right? Neither I would say. Both were great instructors but passed on their thoughts based on the experience the gained working in very different circumstances. What works in the sandbox may not work for LEO, etc.

My point is there are good things to be learned from the spec ops guys, things to be learned from the LEO, and things to be learned from the guys teaching from the concealed carry/civilian angle, you just have to put the information you are getting into some context of the instructor's own experiences.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Funny thing about real "specop" .mil guys, is that A LOT of their training is taught by many different "civilian" trainers. Granted, many of those civilians were prior service, but many aren't. People think SEALs, etc... just have 1 training compound behind their barracks and they train each other in everything. They go to different civilian schools all over.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Funny thing about real "specop" .mil guys, is that A LOT of their training is taught by many different "civilian" trainers. Granted, many of those civilians were prior service, but many aren't. People think SEALs, etc... just have 1 training compound behind their barracks and they train each other in everything. They go to different civilian schools all over.
    Absolutely. Everything cross-pollinates. Game gunners feed shooting schools feed .mil/LE users in a continuous feedback loop. Back in the day .mil guys had to seek out LE and game-gun instruction. However, these days there have never been so many options.

MY225

Victoria Vel Servitus
    Jan 8, 2010

You are so right! Did dial up for 38 min's to say this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom