What training are YOU planning to take in 2015?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Wow I can't believe 2015 is nearly over. I just took Larry Vicker's Pistol/Carbine class so I didn't make it to CSAT yet. Looking at taking the tac pistol/carbine at CSAT or Urban Defense in the Spring.
    I appreciate your AAR's (just re-read Urban Defense) and wish I would take better notes during/immediately after a class so I could write my own. I did take some notes after Vicker's class that I'm trying to formulate into an AAR.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Wow I can't believe 2015 is nearly over. I just took Larry Vicker's Pistol/Carbine class so I didn't make it to CSAT yet. Looking at taking the tac pistol/carbine at CSAT or Urban Defense in the Spring.
    I appreciate your AAR's (just re-read Urban Defense) and wish I would take better notes during/immediately after a class so I could write my own. I did take some notes after Vicker's class that I'm trying to formulate into an AAR.

I hope you write something up. I hear mixed reviews on Vickers classes. Lots of fan boys and sometimes he seems less enthusiastic than other times.

I've been remiss myself in posting AARS here for the Jeff Gonzales Pistol 2 class I did in August and then the Street and Vehicle class with Mike Pannone just 2 weeks ago. I have a blog now and have been posting all the AARs there. I can link to it if people want.

I'm already signed up for 2 classes in 2016.

Armed Movement in Structures with Craig Douglas in Pittsburgh in April, and Kyle Defoor's handgun class in Bethlehem in June.

I hope to return to CSAT for UDC2 or possibly an instructor class. Paul wants me to do an instructor class, but that's a full week and it would be hard to get away that long.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    You are quite the spec ops training groupie.

Partly true. Although Craig Douglas is/was a cop, not military.

I guess I just prefer learning from the BTDT crowd. But one must be smart about it. For example, if someone's resume says he was in the Army Rangers, that's probably not the guy to go to for handgun training. But going to guys like Howe, or Defoor, or Pannone, who carried concealed operationally, makes more sense. I would not go to Craig Douglas for carbine training, but I would go to him to learn how to do hand to hand inside a car.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    What's wrong with seeking out training?

Nothing. Blaster is just calling me out as a fanboy in my own right. And that's fine. He likes to mess with me, all good natured.

In my own defense, of the classes I've taken since I started on this training journey:

3 taught by a doctor
    2 taught by an IT guy
    3 taught by LE/former LE
    4 taught by ex Delta Force
    1 taught by ex Navy SEAL

And so far for next year:
    1 former LE
    1 former DevGru

So I am spreading it around a bit more than it may seem.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Nothing. Blaster is just calling me out as a fanboy in my own right. And that's fine. He likes to mess with me, all good natured.

In my own defense, of the classes I've taken since I started on this training journey:

3 taught by a doctor
    2 taught by an IT guy
    3 taught by LE/former LE
    4 taught by ex Delta Force
    1 taught by ex Navy SEAL

And so far for next year:
    1 former LE
    1 former DevGru

So I am spreading it around a bit more than it may seem.

Impressive. You've attended over a dozen different courses, or are you saying you've had instructors from these backgrounds? Most classes have two or three instructors. Often times they all have the same or similar backgrounds and met through their past occupation. Being a good instructor is knowing your stuff (experience helps), but perhaps just as important, being able to communicate and impress knowledge and skills to a variety of personality types.

I'll have to go back and read this entire thread, would like your recommendations, especially for training that can be had locally (in or driving distance from Maryland).

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Impressive. You've attended over a dozen different courses, or are you saying you've had instructors from these backgrounds? Most classes have two or three instructors. Often times they all have the same or similar backgrounds and met through their past occupation. Being a good instructor is knowing your stuff (experience helps), but perhaps just as important, being able to communicate and impress knowledge and skills to a variety of personality types.

I'll have to go back and read this entire thread, would like your recommendations, especially for training that can be had locally (in or driving distance from Maryland).

In the same order (and I'm not counting NRA Basic Pistol, Dark Angel Medical, or the knife class I took):

3 classes with "Gasman"
    2 with Jack Rumbaugh
    1 with Steve Fisher, 1 with CMCT, and 1 with CCJA
    2 with Paul Howe and 2 with Mike Pannone
    1 with Jeff Gonzales

So 13 firearms courses in the last 3 years.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads