What training are YOU planning to take in 2015?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    In the same order (and I'm not counting NRA Basic Pistol, Dark Angel Medical, or the knife class I took):

3 classes with "Gasman"
    2 with Jack Rumbaugh
    1 with Steve Fisher, 1 with CMCT, and 1 with CCJA
    2 with Paul Howe and 2 with Mike Pannone
    1 with Jeff Gonzales

So 13 firearms courses in the last 3 years.

Cool thanks, the bulk of my training was many years ago. I've tried to maintain my training by doing IDPA, taking mini training events typically hosted by a gun club or group, teaching, swapping drills/tactics and buying books&watching a lot of training material. I'd like to take a professional course at least once a year.

I know you've done some reviews before, but if you have a top pick, please let me know. Thx!

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I hope you write something up. I hear mixed reviews on Vickers classes. Lots of fan boys and sometimes he seems less enthusiastic than other times.

I've been remiss myself in posting AARS here for the Jeff Gonzales Pistol 2 class I did in August and then the Street and Vehicle class with Mike Pannone just 2 weeks ago. I have a blog now and have been posting all the AARs there. I can link to it if people want.

I'm already signed up for 2 classes in 2016.

Armed Movement in Structures with Craig Douglas in Pittsburgh in April, and Kyle Defoor's handgun class in Bethlehem in June.

I hope to return to CSAT for UDC2 or possibly an instructor class. Paul wants me to do an instructor class, but that's a full week and it would be hard to get away that long.

Please do. I do like to read your AAR's (when I have a free afternoon :D)

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    @Minuteman--my top three so far are Howe, Pannone, and our own CMCT. If you carry concealed, I believe that Mike Pannone's Covert Carry class is THE class to take. Howe and Pannone are more than just great shots. They are great TEACHERS. I am a bit of a football fanatic (not pound my chest while guzzling beer and screaming "Ravens!, but more the tactics, strategy, and science of the game). Listening to these guys explain stuff is like listening to Jerry Rice explain exactly how he ran his famous slant route. The little subtleties that make the difference are just incredible. I can never attain the level of proficiency they have, but I keep trying. CMCT has a great program in their own right and I look forward to training with them again. Great teachers and they make it all pretty fun.

@Pwoolford--my blog is one I share with a friend. It is geared toward people like us: regular people. Not LE, not .mil or .gov. The articles we write are based on training we've done and on applying those principles with common sense. We've already run into issues where Instructor A says one thing and Instructor B says the complete opposite. In such situations, we've tried to explain why we like one over the other.

Portions of the blog have been read by Howe, Pannone, Jeff Gonzales, one of Howe's assistants, several LE friends of mine, and an acquaintance who is paramilitary with a 3 letter organization that operates abroad. All agree that, thus far, we've done a good job staying in our lane.

I've linked to it before but never claimed ownership. I guess the cat is now out of the bag:

Https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    @Minuteman--my top three so far are Howe, Pannone, and our own CMCT. If you carry concealed, I believe that Mike Pannone's Covert Carry class is THE class to take. Howe and Pannone are more than just great shots. They are great TEACHERS. I am a bit of a football fanatic (not pound my chest while guzzling beer and screaming "Ravens!, but more the tactics, strategy, and science of the game). Listening to these guys explain stuff is like listening to Jerry Rice explain exactly how he ran his famous slant route. The little subtleties that make the difference are just incredible. I can never attain the level of proficiency they have, but I keep trying. CMCT has a great program in their own right and I look forward to training with them again. Great teachers and they make it all pretty fun.

I've linked to it before but never claimed ownership. I guess the cat is now out of the bag:

Https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com

Awesome thanks on both counts. First the tip about this guy, teaching this course: YnSzqAjeqB8

And secondly the link to the articles you are associated with; we cover many of those topics here, but the couple I glanced at looked solid. I'll revisit.

:thumbsup:

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Nothing and he does it quite well. That's why in ribbing him. We're good. I like hogarth. One of the few I do. :-)
    If I were a betting man... Blaster has watched .mil guys pretty much take over the Fed LEO world and he is still pretty salty about it. It might have to do with higher physical training standards being forced on the old guard. Just sayin...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If I were a betting man... Blaster has watched .mil guys pretty much take over the Fed LEO world and he is still pretty salty about it. It might have to do with higher physical training standards being forced on the old guard. Just sayin...

Nope and pretty poor trolling on your part.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Nope and pretty poor trolling on your part.
    Oh I see, if I rib him it's trolling. But if he trolls me, well, must be Monday.

In fact, he has made it a habit of trolling anyone with .mil creds. And that is a bit odd considering the MD shooting community encompasses several Active military installations and a bunch of three letter agencies filled with vets.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Oh I see, if I rib him it's trolling. But if he trolls me, well, must be Monday.

In fact, he has made it a habit of trolling anyone with .mil creds. And that is a bit odd considering the MD shooting community encompasses several Active military installations and a bunch of three letter agencies filled with vets.

He is prior military. I didnt see him insulting you here.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    He is prior military. I didnt see him insulting you here.
    Not here but he likes to call me in nearly every other thread. Watch. He can't resist! He is obsessed with me.

That said, the sort of training and development that is going on in the post 9/11 military is a world away from what we did back in the day. A lot of this training is making its way into civilian classes and LE training programs.

So, we come full circle... if guys are spending their hard earned cash on a class, why not pick a .mil trainer over someone else? Especially if the instruction is bona fide combat vet.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Actually you couldn't be any farther from the truth. So much to the point that you have zero idea about what I have seen "happen" to the Fed LEO, especially my small segment of LEO-ing.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not here but he likes to call me in nearly every other thread. Watch. He can't resist! He is obsessed with me.

That said, the sort of training and development that is going on in the post 9/11 military is a world away from what we did back in the day. A lot of this training is making its way into civilian classes and LE training programs.

So, we come full circle... if guys are spending their hard earned cash on a class, why not pick a .mil trainer over someone else? Especially if the instruction is bona fide combat vet.

Become a trainer if you think you offer something that others don't or lack.

I'm not a Military Vet and a large portion of my students are former U.S. Service Members.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

I love your EXPERT status and lack of humility. What does a typical "bona fide" vet who ran a M240 in combat know about concealed carry and other important factors to teach the typical armed citizen? You are a little off with that statement.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore

I'm not a Military Vet and a large portion of my students are former U.S. Service Members.
    Yeah, I have taught a few classes to test the waters. It's really just a sideline right now.

Right now I am working on my liability insurance as an instructor.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Well, he is an EXPERT military trainer on Ft. Meade he states. As well as running 3 family businesses.

Like the one on Saturday who said the Army taught him squat about the M4?
    Well, that's impossible. :rolleyes:

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Actually you couldn't be any farther from the truth. So much to the point that you have zero idea about what I have seen "happen" to the Fed LEO, especially my small segment of LEO-ing.
    Would it happen to involve incorporating military TTPs into your program?

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    I love your EXPERT status and lack of humility. What does a typical "bona fide" vet who ran a M240 in combat know about concealed carry and other important factors to teach the typical armed citizen? You are a little off with that statement.

Are you familiar with the 1986 FBI shootout in Miami? Not sure how a good CCW class would have helped those agents.

However civilian CCW could benefit from that class.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Are you familiar with the 1986 FBI shootout in Miami? Not sure how a good CCW class would have helped those agents.

However civilian CCW could benefit from that class.

Armati, not to sound like an a$$, but I don't see how anything you've said here is close to on topic (not a moderator, but I did START the thread, which many on here have contributed to ON POINT). If you want to go all high-noon with Blaster, I think I'm speaking for the vast majority here which would be to do it elsewhere. Blaster's comment to me was pure jest.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    So a guy has $500 to spend on a shooting school. I would argue that money would be better spent with a .mil instructor - especially one with actual combat experience - especially with an instructor with combat experience from the SOF community. That is my point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom