• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Yeah, but how many of us are in harsh field conditions?
    My EBR's make it to the range - is that harsh?

Don't you know that every rifle in your safe must be ready to head to Iraq with you at a moments notice.... It's a new policy... All American gun owners can be tapped to go to Iraq and a gun will be picked out of their safe at random, they cannot choose which rifle to take with them.... So you're going to need an ACOG for your 10/22 and an EOTech for your shotgun. :rolleyes:

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Yeah, but how many of us are in harsh field conditions?
    My EBR's make it to the range - is that harsh?

wlc,

I really don't care what you buy, but when guys get on here asking advice and someone says that a $90 Chinese knock-off is just as good and durable as an ACOG, I'm going to call BS. They are wrong and don't know what they are talking about. It is that simple. It was Old Sarge that made the harsh conditions comment and I was responding....read the thread.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I'm running a Burris XTS (courtesy of Jeepdriver) kinda considering the 3x magnifier, or looking at a 20" larue stealth upper that would get a 6-24x

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    wlc,

I really don't care what you buy, but when guys get on here asking advice and someone says that a $90 Chinese knock-off is just as good and durable as an ACOG, I'm going to call BS. They are wrong and don't know what they are talking about. It is that simple. It was oldsarge that made the harsh conditions comment and I was responding....read the thread.

If one does not care, then why would one deliberately attempt to state the claim that one believes, even though it should not matter, that the monetary value of a particular scope aspires the scope to more be durable and have a prolonged life-span as compared to a scope that has the similar field of view and depth but at far less of a price?

If one does not care, then it should not matter what another person desires to have mounted onto their AR. Each one is to one's own, and therefore, every person has a difinitive taste in optics for (not just an AR) but every rifle (even hand-guns).

I believe the "gist" of this thread is merely not to bicker amongst one another, and thwart each person's viewpoints on which a better optic would be, but rather the thread simply was fabricated to discern between us the variety of scopes that each of us are using...and I believe that this thread should disembark from the current path it is on and re-align itself with the true meaning of discussing the differences in choices of optics and not attempt to say who has a better optic and who can front the most money for the most expensive or "better" optic.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    wlc,

I really don't care what you buy, but when guys get on here asking advice and someone says that a $90 Chinese knock-off is just as good and durable as an ACOG, I'm going to call BS. They are wrong and don't know what they are talking about. It is that simple. It was Old Sarge that made the harsh conditions comment and I was responding....read the thread.

I was not claiming better,
    just - good enough,
    big difference.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    If one does not care, then why would one deliberately attempt to state the claim that one believes, even though it should not matter, that the monetary value of a particular scope aspires the scope to more be durable and have a prolonged life-span as compared to a scope that has the similar field of view and depth but at far less of a price?

If one does not care, then it should not matter what another person desires to have mounted onto their AR. Each one is to one's own, and therefore, every person has a difinitive taste in optics for (not just an AR) but every rifle (even hand-guns).

I believe the "gist" of this thread is merely not to bicker amongst one another, and thwart each person's viewpoints on which a better optic would be, but rather the thread simply was fabricated to discern between us the variety of scopes that each of us are using...and I believe that this thread should disembark from the current path it is on and re-align itself with the true meaning of discussing the differences in choices of optics and not attempt to say who has a better optic and who can front the most money for the most expensive or "better" optic.

Believe me when I say that kevp knows exactly what he is talking about. His opinions are not just those of a consumer with an expensive taste in hardware.

That said, I appreciate his input as I trust him 100% on issues such as this. I may not be able to afford most of what he is recommending at this point in time, but that is beside the point. I'm one of those buy once, cry once types, and I can set a goal to obtain quality components over time. But I do want to know what is durable, effective, and worth the money and what is not. So, there is at least one person in this thread that appreciates his posts.

And to the point of the thread, it was started by Slimjim, and I don't think he is looking to take the cheap way out. If I am not mistaken he is looking for good quality optics that are both durable and effective even if it costs him a pretty penny. If that is the case then I would say kevp is more on topic than the Chinese optics crowd in this thread. Then again, maybe I'm reading him wrong.

And no one is saying that you either buy high end or don't buy at all. If you are a plinker and don't care if your hardware can take a beating, then so be it. There is nothing wrong with that. To each his own. My gear will most likely never take a severe beating, but I like to know that it could if necessary. I guess that is something that I took away from the military, that I absolutely must trust my gear, even if the likelihood of ever putting it to the test is rare.

Last edited:

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Believe me when I say that kevp knows exactly what he is talking about. His opinions are not just those of a consumer with an expensive taste in hardware.

That said, I appreciate his input as I trust it more than probably anyone on this forum when it comes to what works and what doesn't. I may not be able to afford most of what he is recommending at this point in time, but that is beside the point. I'm one of those buy once, cry once types, and I can set a goal to obtain quality components over time. But I do want to know what is quality and what is not.

And to the point of the thread, it was started by Slimjim, and I don't think he is looking to take the cheap way out. If I am not mistaken he is looking for good quality optics that are both durable and effective even if it costs him a pretty penny. If that is the case then I would say kevp is more on topic than the Chinese optics crowd in this thread. Then again, maybe I'm reading him wrong.

And no one is saying that you either buy high end or don't buy at all. If you are a plinker and don't care if your hardware can take a beating, then so be it. There is nothing wrong with that. To each his own.

Im really looking for an optic that will work with my eyesight. And if the Comp m4 works well after getting a new prescription, than its what i will stick with :) I dont tend to go cheap on my rifles, i have a nearly 300 dollar DD rail on my AR.

82ndShooter

Nov 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I have the Aimpoint CompM4 and 3X Magnifier on my setup. I need to get the correct mounting bracket for the CompM4 because the two do not line up exactly perfect at this time (pissing me off)!

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I have the Aimpoint CompM4 and 3X Magnifier on my setup. I need to get the correct mounting bracket for the CompM4 because the two do not line up exactly perfect at this time (pissing me off)!

What base are you running on the Aimpoint?

weldingshop

Jan 24, 2009
    i'd like a thermal night scope but at $15k, looks ke i'm stick'n with a cheap 4x16 40mm with a red and green lighted-up fancy cross hairs and flip-up covers. $69.99 on sale.

Realy want an Acog 50mm.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Thanks DD. It is not my nature to be as diplomatic as I have tried to be on some of these threads, but I don't want Norton to smack me down for being mean to other members :D.

Guys, I may come off harsh sometimes, but it really bugs me when someone is asking for advice and they get opinions. The things I offer advice on are based on what I've done for a living for a lot of years. The things I recommend are proven through hard use and test by knowledgeable users. Some of what I recommend, I own and much of it I do not. I offer much of this advice because I have spent a metric assload of money learning the hard way when I was younger in everything from tactical weapons to shotguns and hunting guns. I know some folks can't afford or don't care to spend what some of this stuff costs and that is understandable. All I can tell you is what I recommend is proven and worth the money if you have it. I will help out anyone that asks and if I don't know the answer, I'll get you to someone who does.

Oh yeah- forgot to add since I'm explaining myself that I don't like mofos that talk about overthrowing the Country that I've spent most of my life serving because I've been elsewhere and know how good you have it no matter how bad you think you do. So that will get me close to making Norton's naughty list.

Last edited:

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    I can't mount any optics on this :(
    DSCN2012.JPG

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I do appreciate hearing and reading what "everyone" is using for optics on their AR's. From cheap to expensive. To all, Please feel free to continue to post and describe what you are using.

I've had good experiences with cheap optics myself, as well as some bad ones. You just have to sort them out and find a durable one. I do aspire to an ACOG sight (especially after viewing through one this last weekend at the AGC) for my S&W MP15, but a lessor optic will have to do until I can afford it.

I will be looking more closely at the UAG's that were posted. For 50-60 dollars, it will satisfy my aging eyes at the range, until I find a higher quality ACOG for it. Or maybe an EOTtech.

I did order a "Maker's Mark" scope a while back to stick on one of my Mosins (just for chits and giggles) but haven't figured out what color duct tape to use in adhering it to the rifle as of yet...... :lol2:

Kindest regards,

-Will

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    The red dot sight evolved through the best combat (and I'm not talking IPSC, IDPA or any other sport) shooters in the World and their quest for better speed and accuracy under the most stressful conditions. The same goes for equipment like the S&B Short Dot. I have been reading gun rags for 35 years and every month it is the same shite- THE ULTIMATE........ Do what works for you, but don't rely on those rags.

Yeah, I know.

I needed something other than the way-too-powerful scope I had on it. Since I usually make a habit of buying optics twice (:sad20:) I decided this time to try the front post change, and see if that did the trick.

Sometimes you forget how lightweight an AR can be without all of the crap bolted to it. I would like to get another optic for it, but:

1. I don't know which I like best (aimpoint, eotech, ACOG). I've used aimpoint and eotech, but would like to try an ACOG. I have a Millett DMS-1 (SB shortdot knockoff) on my Beowulf, and like the 4X setting.

2. My budget is about to get really stretched. I'm in the market for a precision rifle, and in the interest of "buy once, cry once", may go a little overboard on the scope (Nightforce). An R-5 plus a Nightforce, plus miscellaneous is going to cost me a penny or two.

ETA: This is turning into an arfcom thread. "Mine's great, yours sucks."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom