• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I agree with Luke. Optics are not necessarily what you pay for them but for what and how you use them. The most expensive optic is only as good as the shooter that uses them. A good shooter will shoot just as well with any optics no matter what the price. I've been shooting for almost fifty years and have not found a sight that would not hit the target, just the person using it. I prefer an inexpensive optic that will take the wear and tear of the field and still give a good rendering at the range. If this happens to be a cheap foreign made clone, then so be it. For the price, if it fails in two or three years, it can be replaced.

I certainly respect your opinion, but my experience is that inexpensive (especially clones), ability to withstand harsh field conditions, and still give good rendering in the field are not things you find all together in a cheap optic. No one will change what I know to be fact. I have seen ACOGs, Aimpoints, and Night Force optics take 7.62x39 bullets and still be usable albeit degraded from full capability. This is the same mentality that I see with rifles. Good ones are expensive for a reason and cheap ones are cheap for a reason. If your requirements are such that cheap is okay, then go for it. The best analogy I know is the Walmart hunter vs. the Filson hunter. The Walmart guy will be buying every year or two and the Filson guy will give it to his Grandson. That is all I have to say about that.

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    Luke,

I am not trying to hurt your feelings here. You get what you pay for and I guarantee you that you have a very low quality optic that is probably made in China. Most of these optics are cheap copies of quality optics like the ACOG. If you are okay with that, then enjoy. I will not put something like that on one of my weapons.

No feelings hurt here, that's your opinion, and I respect that. Everyone is entitled to one's own specific view point, you've got yours and I've got mine...they just happen to be different.

I'll agree that my scope isn't the best one out there, of course not for a mere $50.00! However, I just don't have the money to spend over $1,000.00 on a scope that I would only use it for; target shooting, at the range, etc. Now if I was going to be doing some hardcore hunting, or planned on going to a foreign country, or something along those lines, then I would invest in a more expensive "ACOG" scope.

Nonetheless, I am sufficiently happy with my purchase of my UAG scope, it's fully rubberized, it has caps that flip up to protect the lens on both ends. And for $50.00, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Now, I know it probably will not last as long as an "ACOG" but in three or so years, I could buy plenty of the cheaper scopes to make me happy, as opposed to going into the waters feet-first, all-out, on an "ACOG".

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    If you think the 1-4 is the way you want to go, look at the Night Force 1-4. Gus has them in stock. It isn't significantly more expensive than what you've already bought and are thinking about buying. The 1-4 in a Larue mount is the ticket. I have one if you want to check it out or just go see Gus.

Who is gus?

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Leopold CQT on my 6.8
    TRIJICON TA31F on my 223
    Leopold on my Varmit 223

Don't skimp on quality. Buy a quality product and have it for life.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Accupoint 1.25-3x (amber triangle) on the 5.56, but prepping to swap it out for an Aimpoint M2 I bought used . . . if I was only using the rifle for 3-gun, etc., outdoors shooting I would keep the Accupoint.

Aimpoint ML2 on the 9mm upper . . .

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I run an EOTech on my carbine co-witnessed to the front sight. Flip-up rear sight as backup. EOTech replaced a cheap holosight. The holo "both eyes up" has worked well for me. Bear in mind we're talking about a 200 yard rifle, maximum. It's really a 50-100 yard rifle for practical usage.

The only other optic I have on an AR-15 is a Nikon 42mm 1/8th MOA target scope on my match target gun. Got that on clearance but was still a $300 scope. No issues with it.

Matt

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    After reading an article on irons vs. optics, I've switched my 5.56 Stag back over to irons, but switched the front blade to a Trijicon Tridium front post. It works well for CQB, but for distance, can only squeak out minute-of-man (too wide for accuracy beyond 100m).

My Beowulf sports a Millett DMS-1 1-4X. (on sale at Midway, right now), with American Defense extended QR one piece rings.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    After reading an article on irons vs. optics, I've switched my 5.56 Stag back over to irons, but switched the front blade to a Trijicon Tridium front post. It works well for CQB, but for distance, can only squeak out minute-of-man (too wide for accuracy beyond 100m).

My Beowulf sports a Millett DMS-1 1-4X. (on sale at Midway, right now), with American Defense extended QR one piece rings.

The red dot sight evolved through the best combat (and I'm not talking IPSC, IDPA or any other sport) shooters in the World and their quest for better speed and accuracy under the most stressful conditions. The same goes for equipment like the S&B Short Dot. I have been reading gun rags for 35 years and every month it is the same shite- THE ULTIMATE........ Do what works for you, but don't rely on those rags.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Noone else is looking forward to trying the new Burris optic? I have never been dissapointed by a Burris product. I realize it's not built to withsatnd battlefield conditions but for a fun plinker I think it's the perfect balance of quality vs. value.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I just found out that my department has authorized the 4x magnifier on our patrol rifles.
    Makes me consider turning in my older Department issued Colt pencil barrel and carrying one of my own rifles.

that burris ar332 looks pretty nice.. to side track a bit though, i want to ask you guys something... i was watching, i believe gun & ammo a few weeks ago and they had a segment about optics on ar15's, or in this case it happen to be an ar15...

but, what caught my eye and i like the idea is this.... the ar15 had a magnifying scope on the top rail and to the side of it, the guy had a red dot scope... i thought that was pretty good setup for those that like to shoot long range but also, have the ability to tilt the ar15 to the side a tad bit to utilize the red dot for close quarters...

anyone see that show?.. or even know what kind of mount is required to do that?..

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    that burris ar332 looks pretty nice.. to side track a bit though, i want to ask you guys something... i was watching, i believe gun & ammo a few weeks ago and they had a segment about optics on ar15's, or in this case it happen to be an ar15...

but, what caught my eye and i like the idea is this.... the ar15 had a magnifying scope on the top rail and to the side of it, the guy had a red dot scope... i thought that was pretty good setup for those that like to shoot long range but also, have the ability to tilt the ar15 to the side a tad bit to utilize the red dot for close quarters...

anyone see that show?.. or even know what kind of mount is required to do that?..

This is a good set-up, but the red dot is typically a mini like the Doctor Optic or an Aimpoint Micro which is not a mini, but kind of a mid-sized. The only problem with MRDs is they are vulnerable to mud and it will take them out of the fight. The Micro is probably the best solution if you want to run this set-up. Zeroing is somewhat tricky, but doable. Daniel Defense makes the offset mounts.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I certainly respect your opinion, but my experience is that inexpensive (especially clones), ability to withstand harsh field conditions, and still give good rendering in the field are not things you find all together in a cheap optic. No one will change what I know to be fact. I have seen ACOGs, Aimpoints, and Night Force optics take 7.62x39 bullets and still be usable albeit degraded from full capability. This is the same mentality that I see with rifles. Good ones are expensive for a reason and cheap ones are cheap for a reason. If your requirements are such that cheap is okay, then go for it. The best analogy I know is the Walmart hunter vs. the Filson hunter. The Walmart guy will be buying every year or two and the Filson guy will give it to his Grandson. That is all I have to say about that.

Yeah, but how many of us are in harsh field conditions?
    My EBR's make it to the range - is that harsh?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    From the top:

ACOG TA01-NSN on a 14.5" AR
    Iron sighted 14.5"
    Aim Point Comp M3 on a 11.5" AR
    Iron Sighted 11.5"
    Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 on a 20" AR
    ACOG TA31F on a 20" AR

standard.jpg

I have a Burris XTS 135 on one of the 9mm AR's and HK416 sights on the other 9mm AR. I also use a Aim Point Comp M3 on a M1A.

My next optic is likely to be a Leupold MK4 2.5-8x36 MR/T M2 for a 16" REECE build.

Optics are only as good as the mounts they are in. If LaRue is an option, it is the only option. I regret my ARMS mounts now, I'm spending the money over again on the LaRue mounts for my Aim Points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom