• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Well, lets see them, What optics everyone runs on their AR. Im hopeing new glasses clear my astigmatism up enough to use this Comp M4 i bought, but i want to see what all everyone else is running.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'm really liking the new Burris Optics I saw at Midway. They aren't out yet but look pretty nice for a quality budget Ar optic.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Dude,

You are spending a lot of cash on high-end optics to find out what works for you. Are you ordering these off the net? I ask because you ought to be able to find someone that carrys them to at least get an idea if they will work. I hate to see you spending cash like that and having to turn around and sell. You've had problems with the ACOG and M4- I can't imagine a variable power optic being any better. Hope the glasses work for you.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I'm really liking the new Burris Optics I saw at Midway. They aren't out yet but look pretty nice for a quality budget Ar optic.

The way Jim has been spending on optics, he ain't looking to go cheap. I like the way he thinks. :party29:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I see that but personally I have no need for my optics to stand up to battle tested standards. I'm building two Ar's right now. One will get the new Burris 3X Ar optic and one will get a very nice long range fixed optic as it will basically be a bench gun.
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/ar332.html

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Trijicon ACOG TA31F. The most incredible mid-range optic that I have ever seen. You really should try one before you go a different route, if you haven't already.

*EDIT* I see kevp mentions that you have tried the ACOG and it didn't work out. I can't imagine why, unless it is due to vision problems.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
      attachment.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 334

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    I use a Ultimate Arms G ear scope that may be found on e-bay in two versions. One version that mounts directly to the rail system, and leaves you without your carry handle and iron sights, which I guess may be preferred if you're going to be hunting actual animals with your AR. Whereas the one I have mounts to the cool, neat, little groove in the top of the carry handle to provide a scope, but retaining the iron sights as well for up-close-and-personal.

Here is the scope that mounts to the rails;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/UAG-3-9x42-GREE...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Here is the scope that mounts on top of the carry handle;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/99-UAG-3-9x40-I...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Both scopes run about $50.00 plus $10.00 shipping (give or take depending on how you want to get to you, and how fast). But I've never really used a scope before, and I'm very pleased with my UAG scope!

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Please tell me you didn't spend $1000.00+ on your scope?!?!

http://www.nightgalaxy.com/Trijicon_ACOG_Rifle_Scopes_3_5x_Magnification_s/488.htm

That's only $940.00 more than me! You know how much ammo you could get with that?!?!

Expensive? Yes. Worth every penny? Absolutely. Try one sometime and you'll see the difference. The Bindon Aiming Concept is a trip once you train your eyes, and the tritium at night is nice. I think this quote sums it up quite nicely:

Major General J.N. Mattis, Commanding General of the 1st Marine Division during Operation Iraqi Freedom, called them (ACOG) “the biggest improvement in lethality for the Marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in WWII.”

That is probably a bit overenthusiastic, but I'm not a Marine so I can't really comment. Either way, I think it is the ultimate sight for an AR, and especially an M4gery.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...smc-orders-660m-more-acog-rifle-scopes-01021/

ArmyDV

Krull the Warrior King
    Jan 10, 2009
    I have an EOTECH 512 that is on my Spikes Tactical ST22 .22LR upper.

An Aimpoint COMPM4 special limited edition on my DPMS .223/5.56mm upper.

and finally I have an ACOG TA01NSN-DOC which will be going on my Bushmaster Carbon 15, 7.25" BBL, SBR.

I may end up switching the ACOG and Aimpoint, still waiting for the ATF paperwork to come back on my SBR.

I love them all, they all have their own use.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Please tell me you didn't spend $1000.00+ on your scope?!?!

http://www.nightgalaxy.com/Trijicon_ACOG_Rifle_Scopes_3_5x_Magnification_s/488.htm

That's only $940.00 more than me! You know how much ammo you could get with that?!?!

Luke,

I am not trying to hurt your feelings here. You get what you pay for and I guarantee you that you have a very low quality optic that is probably made in China. Most of these optics are cheap copies of quality optics like the ACOG. If you are okay with that, then enjoy. I will not put something like that on one of my weapons.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Eotech 552 w/ 3X FTS magnifier.

This set-up allows the user to engage targets from CQB ranges up to about 500 meters. Extremely quick, reliable , no adjustments required.

By flipping the magnifier behind the Eotech, the user can switch from using a non- magnified holographic diffraction sight to magnified optics in seconds.

I also have a Matech BUIS as backup ( co- witness) , just in case. The only problem with this set-up is having to use an extended rail as to get everything to fit.

Another reasonable option would be the Millett DMS-1 1-4x scope . Awesome scope for $230.00

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    The way Jim has been spending on optics, he ain't looking to go cheap. I like the way he thinks. :party29:

ive been purchaseing used from people on the internet. I variable shouldnt be a problem as it would have good eye relief and etched reticle.

Theres 2 optic choices that i have looked at. IOR valdada 3x CQB, or one of their 1-4 variable, they seem really well built, very clear glass, id try for the new naked version, as it uses a standard 30mm ring to mount. Only con to this is they are made in romania, if something goes completely wrong, and you send it for repair, i hear they only ship out twice a year (Unconfirmed) for repair at the factory. Problem is, nearly nobody runs this scope, i ran into one guy at hap baker with it, and i really liked it.

Plenty of eye relief, very clear schott glass.
    Small variable optic. Tons to choose from, but i need to try one out first.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Trijicon ACOG TA31F. The most incredible mid-range optic that I have ever seen. You really should try one before you go a different route, if you haven't already.

*EDIT* I see kevp mentions that you have tried the ACOG and it didn't work out. I can't imagine why, unless it is due to vision problems.

1.5 inches of eye relief isnt enough with glasses to run NTCH.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Luke,

I am not trying to hurt your feelings here. You get what you pay for and I guarantee you that you have a very low quality optic that is probably made in China. Most of these optics are cheap copies of quality optics like the ACOG. If you are okay with that, then enjoy. I will not put something like that on one of my weapons.

& they are fine for range time. Since most rifles don't make it past the range, spending $1000 on an optic can be viewed as absurd by some.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    ive been purchaseing used from people on the internet. I variable shouldnt be a problem as it would have good eye relief and etched reticle.

Theres 2 optic choices that i have looked at. IOR valdada 3x CQB, or one of their 1-4 variable, they seem really well built, very clear glass, id try for the new naked version, as it uses a standard 30mm ring to mount. Only con to this is they are made in romania, if something goes completely wrong, and you send it for repair, i hear they only ship out twice a year (Unconfirmed) for repair at the factory. Problem is, nearly nobody runs this scope, i ran into one guy at hap baker with it, and i really liked it.

Plenty of eye relief, very clear schott glass.
    Small variable optic. Tons to choose from, but i need to try one out first.

If you think the 1-4 is the way you want to go, look at the Night Force 1-4. Gus has them in stock. It isn't significantly more expensive than what you've already bought and are thinking about buying. The 1-4 in a Larue mount is the ticket. I have one if you want to check it out or just go see Gus.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I agree with Luke. Optics are not necessarily what you pay for them but for what and how you use them. The most expensive optic is only as good as the shooter that uses them. A good shooter will shoot just as well with any optics no matter what the price. I've been shooting for almost fifty years and have not found a sight that would not hit the target, just the person using it. I prefer an inexpensive optic that will take the wear and tear of the field and still give a good rendering at the range. If this happens to be a cheap foreign made clone, then so be it. For the price, if it fails in two or three years, it can be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom