What gun for first time carrying on a Maryland permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Hmm, the 65LS may not be an option for first MD concealed carry. The email preview I got from the USPS today includes an envelope from MSP. Hopefully that comes today, but that means there is no way I'll have a holster for the 65 in time.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I've been carrying daily since my MD HGP came through in early August, when I also bought a P365X.

For more than 10 years prior to that, I carried out of state on my FL NR every time I left MD. I started with small revolvers because that's what I had, then tried a 1911 and a CZ 75B Compact, then switched over to carrying a CZ PCR most of the time. I really like my PCR and do shoot it a little better, but the P365 is so much easier to carry and conceal than the PCR and even a J-Frame, I may not bother carrying the PCR anymore.

CrabbyTurtle

Dec 23, 2020
    2A First
    For the King Cobra I use a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar pancake holster and a decent gun belt (these days a Kore Essentials) and it is easy to carry. It is pretty heavy compared to something like a G43X or my P365, but with a good belt it is no problem (though it might take a little to get used to it).

How do you like your G43X? When I got my P365 I was close to choosing a 43X instead. I still may get one in addition because I like it and I've since bought two other Glocks which I now really like. The Kimber does seem interesting.

My plan (based on years of carrying when out of state on my UT permit) is to carry a midsized gun (a compact service pistol) as much as I can. My CZ PCR and Glock 19 will probably get a lot of carry time. Though, I'll probably carry my P365 more often. I will occasionally carry my 1911SC (a Commander sized 1911). Once in a blue moon I may carry a true full sized when the mood strikes, my new SA Garrison, my Glock 22, and my S&W 625MG, but not often. I usually carry IWB and I don't see that changing with more regular carry. Even some full sized guns (like the narrow 1911) do IWB well, but wider ones like my N-frame will likely see mostly OWB (I have carried it OWB on my UT permit a few times, I've never actually carried it in the Summer Comfort IWB). The G22 is somewhat in between and I have an OWB holster for it and an IWB on order.
    Thanks for the tip on the snake gun. I like the 43X mostly bc I have a small frame and I've made some changes to get it there like the trigger, connector, sights, mag release, Shield 15 mag and another with a +5. Still have the Gen5 17 with a similar setup for home.

Attachments

• IMG_E2419.JPG
      IMG_E2419.JPG
      279.3 KB · Views: 55
    Last edited:

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Carrying my 43x today in a random IWB leather holster from Amazon. I’m in Maine exercising my constitutional carry. When my MD permit arrives sometime in January I’ll probably rock a 1911 or something different just for the day. An AR pistol or MP5 in a shoulder rig would be a great “FU” to the state.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Thanks for the tip on the snake gun. I like the 43X mostly bc I have a small frame and I've made some changes to get it there like the trigger, connector, sights, mag release, Shield 15 mag and another with a +5. Still have the Gen5 17 with a similar setup for home. Sold my 19X.
    If I could do it over, I woulda looked at the Walthers and HK more thoroughly. (What can I say, I got all my initial firearms knowledge from youtube.)
    I'm also looking for an OWB holster for my 4.25 inch barrel MR Bul Armory 1911.

I have the MD W&C, Utah, AND DC! I'm looking to get the WV, PA, and FLA at some point.
    What mag well adapter is that?

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I just got my W&C card from the mail, I'm about to go to the grocery store.

I'm not going with the 1911SC, I need to retrain on ensuring I disengage the safety regularly on the draw (for most of the last 5 or 6 years, I went DAO, DA/SA or striker fired for defensive guns and only added 1911 style safeties back as anything other than a range toy recently). As tempting as the 625MG is, since it will be concealed, no one will see the nicer holster, so it will wait. So, between one of my regular carry guns or the Colt King Cobra (which will be a regular carry when I decide to carry a revolver), I think I'm going with the revolver. As much as I like my P365 and G19, a metal gun is more special, and between my PCR and the revolver, I'm in a revolver mood. If I was more up to date on my training with 1911s I'd have gone with the 1911SC or the new Garrison if I had picked it up and had it tested out but I won't be getting to the store or range until tomorrow.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Just because it was new, i carried my Springfield Armory 1911A1 Operator 45…. And its still my go to every day so far minus one when I needed a deeper cover gun (I need to get a single clip kydex IWB for the 1911)

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Thinking about carrying my AK pistol as my initial step out into the world of carrying. In for a penny,in for a pound…….right?:D But seriously, just going to carry my little Lcp max in a very comfortable iwb Omni holster for starters which will feel like a win in itself. USPS showing my permit’s coming today:bannana:
    1669428128630.jpeg
    1669428128630.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom