What gun for first time carrying on a Maryland permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    This isn't so much a what do you carry thread. This is a one off. I've been carrying out of state on a UT permit for about a decade give or take a few years. I have several carry guns, and I know what my main CCWs will be (SIG P365, Colt King Cobra, Taurus 856UL when I want a deeper concealed revolver, CZ PCR and Glock 19). Even before there was a MSI/Maryland Shooters, I would go with a contingent of Maryland people from The Firing Line and later The High Road forums to Annapolis on the day when the legislature heard testimony on gun laws, and I've been writing my legislators for CCW in MD for slightly more than 20 years. Not being a business owner or law enforcement, but a lowly employee (teacher), getting a MD W&C was impossible until Bruen. I finally got my approval last Mon, so sometime between tomorrow and the end of next week I will likely have my permit in hand.

Anyone else think about doing something special for your carry the first time you carry here to celebrate? Or, will you/did you just go with your regular carry? Given that we are into cold weather, I figure I can conceal almost anything I sometimes carry. So, I may go with the King Cobra (nice gun and there is something special about revolvers), but I am also thinking about my S&W 625MG in a nice carved leather OWB holster (not that anyone will see it) or my S&W 1911Sc in its Galco Skyops. I may go with my new full sized steel Springfield Armory 1911 Garrison I should be picking up tomorrow (for a temporary holster, I bought a cheap Yankee Slide style holster on Amazon until I order some nice leather for it).

What did you do, and what would you suggest? It may be silly, and I know no one else will know (concealed), but I kind of want to do something special to commemorate finally being able to do what I should have always been able to do here in MD.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Are you going to do a Maryland Walmart Walk?

If you want to make a celebratory ritual of it, then I say dress to the nines: necktie, clean underwear, and your best Barbecue rig. The King Cobra sounds good for a barbecue gun, if you have a holster for it. Either that or the 1911.

No, wear the Smith in that nice carved leather. That's a proper barbecue rug. But it deserves Open Carry.

Are you coming to the meet up at the Essen Room on December 11?

Last edited:

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I got this when I got my permit.

Attachments

• 20221124_164950.jpg
      20221124_164950.jpg
      399.8 KB · Views: 147

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I got this when I got my permit.
    I've already made several celebratory purchases over the last 2 months, most of what I've wanted but put off for the past 5 or 6 years: a .22 pistol (Taurus Tx22), a SIG P365, a full sized 1911 (the SA Guardian), a .357 lever rifle, a S&W 317, and two Glocks (one a G19). Once I bought the P365 in anticipation of getting the permit, the floodgates of deferred purchases opened. I'm not sure I'm done (a revolver or three, another .22 or two, and a couple carry guns are on the radar).

BTW, nice choice, I am a fan of the S&W M&P series. I currently have a 1st gen M&P40c and love it.

Camaro Frank

Sep 24, 2022
    Middle River, Maryland
    I recently purchased a Glock 48 in anticipation of getting my CCW. Its my first Glock. My old reliable Sig P220 is little too big and heavy for concealed carry. I'm still more accurate with it, though... even with 230 grain hollow points... but, I'm coming around with the Glock.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not a proponent of switching carry guns. I prefer to stick with one platform. I carry a G27 in the warmer months and a converted G32 when colder and wearing more clothes.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    So as of now, it seems the majority would suggest going with what is going to be my regular carry.

For those who would go with something special, which option: new model Colt King Cobra (this will be one of my regular carry guns when in a revolver mood), Springfield Armory 1911 Garrison, S&W 1911SC (this will be an occasional carry when in the mood to carry a 1911), or S&W 625MG?

I should add one to the list of choices: S&W 65LS. It would be on my carry list but it was my 1st .357mag, and if something happens to it, the replacement cost is above my pay grade as a teacher, so I will not generally carry it. However, it was my 1st .357mag, it was only my 2nd revolver and 3rd handgun, it is the handgun I've owned the longest (my first, a Taurus 82, and 1st auto, a Ruger P89, were traded about a month after I got the 65LS on my 1st 1911, a Charles Daly I also no longer have), and it is the gun that caused my love of a 3" revolver so it definitely fits the definition of a special gun for a special occasion. The biggest drawback is that I don't have a holster for it, unless I dig up my old Uncle Mike's IWB holster (if I still have it, but just no). I could find something on Amazon that ships quickly though (only a problem if my permit comes today or tomorrow) and I may be able to find some gun leather for it at Bass Pro or if I take a drive down to Cabelas (but who wants to deal with retail crowds on Black Friday). If I had a holster for it, I think the 65LS would be the obvious choice, but even if I can get one in time, that would be my most expensive option since I'd be buying a holster for one time use (or maybe very occasional use if I was to continue to carry the 65LS on special occasions, but if I would use it instead of the 625MG that way, I'd probably want a nicer holster than something on Amazon that I can get quickly).

FZRracer400!

Nov 8, 2022
    RIP MD.
    Thinking about carrying my AK pistol as my initial step out into the world of carrying. In for a penny,in for a pound…….right?:D But seriously, just going to carry my little Lcp max in a very comfortable iwb Omni holster for starters which will feel like a win in itself. USPS showing my permit’s coming today:bannana:

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Are you going to do a Maryland Walmart Walk?

If you want to make a celebratory ritual of it, then I say dress to the nines: necktie, clean underwear, and your best Barbecue rig. The King Cobra sounds good for a barbecue gun, if you have a holster for it. Either that or the 1911.

No, wear the Smith in that nice carved leather. That's a proper barbecue rug. But it deserves Open Carry.

Are you coming to the meet up at the Essen Room on December 11?
    I'll have to look for the thread about Dec. 11, I wasn't aware. I'm not generally interested in open carry, but it may be fun with a group. Yeah, the 625MG and carved OWB holster do kind of need an open carry excuse (BBQ gun), and I may carry it in my Galco Summer Comfort IWB if I elect to carry the big Smith (though "Comfort" and IWB carry of an N-frame seem to be contradictions). Anyway, a group open carrying event may be a good excuse to bring out the 625MG in its carved Black Hills Leather holster.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Thinking about carrying my AK pistol as my initial step out into the world of carrying. In for a penny,in for a pound…….right?:D But seriously, just going to carry my little Lcp max in a very comfortable iwb Omni holster for starters which will feel like a win in itself. USPS showing my permit’s coming today:bannana:
    An AK pistol may be fun and a good way to celebrate. I get what you say about just carrying being the win. Until the last couple days once I started watching the mail for the permit I was just planning on carrying my P365 or PCR, and I would have been happy with that. Heck, I've been looking forward to carrying that P365 here in MD since I got it (I've brought something else with me when in VA since then in order to "save" my first carry of the P365 for home), and I've been looking forward to carrying the CZ PCR in MD for years (more hopeful that it would eventually happen than realistically looking forward to it).

CrabbyTurtle

Dec 23, 2020
    2A First
    I've already made several celebratory purchases over the last 2 months, most of what I've wanted but put off for the past 5 or 6 years: a .22 pistol (Taurus Tx22), a SIG P365, a full sized 1911 (the SA Guardian), a .357 lever rifle, a S&W 317, and two Glocks (one a G19). Once I bought the P365 in anticipation of getting the permit, the floodgates of deferred purchases opened. I'm not sure I'm done (a revolver or three, another .22 or two, and a couple carry guns are on the radar).

BTW, nice choice, I am a fan of the S&W M&P series. I currently have a 1st gen M&P40c and love it.
    Received my permit in Oct. Been carrying the 43X and on occasion the King Cobra but it's so heavy and I've only been able to find a DeSantis holster for it. In addition, on some occasions a deep conceal PT-22.
    I've been considering another conceal. Been looking at an all metal sub compact in 9 mm like the Kimber Micro 9. I'll pull the trigger on this next year.
    Do you ever plan on carrying any of your full size firearms? Which and how?

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I went with the gun that I was most comfortable shooting. That was a Glock 35. It is not a typical carry as it is a full frame gun.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Received my permit in Oct. Been carrying the 43X and on occasion the King Cobra but it's so heavy and I've only been able to find a DeSantis holster for it. In addition, on some occasions a deep conceal PT-22.
    I've been considering another conceal. Been looking at an all metal sub compact in 9 mm like the Kimber Micro 9. I'll pull the trigger on this next year.
    Do you ever plan on carrying any of your full size firearms? Which and how?
    For the King Cobra I use a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar pancake holster and a decent gun belt (these days a Kore Essentials) and it is easy to carry. It is pretty heavy compared to something like a G43X or my P365, but with a good belt it is no problem (though it might take a little to get used to it).

How do you like your G43X? When I got my P365 I was close to choosing a 43X instead. I still may get one in addition because I like it and I've since bought two other Glocks which I now really like. The Kimber does seem interesting.

My plan (based on years of carrying when out of state on my UT permit) is to carry a midsized gun (a compact service pistol) as much as I can. My CZ PCR and Glock 19 will probably get a lot of carry time. Though, I'll probably carry my P365 more often. I will occasionally carry my 1911SC (a Commander sized 1911). Once in a blue moon I may carry a true full sized when the mood strikes, my new SA Garrison, my Glock 22, and my S&W 625MG, but not often. I usually carry IWB and I don't see that changing with more regular carry. Even some full sized guns (like the narrow 1911) do IWB well, but wider ones like my N-frame will likely see mostly OWB (I have carried it OWB on my UT permit a few times, I've never actually carried it in the Summer Comfort IWB). The G22 is somewhat in between and I have an OWB holster for it and an IWB on order.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom