• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Look smart ass, I don't even teach things I am qualified to teach anymore and I am reluctantly taking this BS CCW course. I don't have a need to be in charge of anything at this point but I am aware many thrive on it.
    Umm ... He's earned the right to be a smart ass given his long history with MSI, MSP, as an Instructor, etc., etc.

The man knows what he's talking about.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    While I have my opinions on IWB holsters and their selection/use, I respect an instructors right to mandate specific equipment for a qual test, so long as it is specified in course literature prior to sign up.

I'd call it a mandatory "class" with a mandatory qual test if it simulates duty gear rather than a ccw training. I don't teach me w&c but I've worked a bunch of wv ccw classes for those who want the permit rather than just going constitutional and the overwhelming majority of students are running iwb holsters.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    FAMS are an exceptional group, and they trained to a higher standard than any other group in LE.

I know of no other agency that had monthly range days on a regular basis.
    Don't know about today , but in the '70s IRS SA's did .

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Jr88,

BurkeM, so far as I can tell, is not being a smartass. He is offering a way around the regular taking of a class. While not close personal friends or anything, I have met the man and he seems to be a genuine and helpful sort who gives a lot of his time to get more people into shooting.

Nothing says you MUST teach if you get instructor creds. And you can always "hire out" to help other instructors as a line coach if you don't have access to an appropriate range.
    OK, If BurkeM was indeed sincere then I apologize for referring to the the remark as anything but sincere. While I appreciate people who are truly qualified teaching these classes I am not one of those. I am too old to fight and too broke up to run, I simply want to be free to exercise my 2A right safely .Not trying to be a Raylin Givens or anything.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    OK, If BurkeM was indeed sincere then I apologize for referring to the the remark as anything but sincere. While I appreciate people who are truly qualified teaching these classes I am not one of those. I am too old to fight and too broke up to run, I simply want to be free to exercise my 2A right safely .Not trying to be a Raylin Givens or

OK, If BurkeM was indeed sincere then I apologize for referring to the the remark as anything but sincere. While I appreciate people who are truly qualified teaching these classes I am not one of those. I am too old to fight and too broke up to run, I simply want to be free to exercise my 2A right safely .Not trying to be a Raylin Givens or anything.

Join MSI, get involved. Volunteer to staff the table at gun shows. You get in for free and very likely you'll meet him as he's often there representing us and informing the public about all the work we do.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    BurkeM is active in the political and training sectors and that's why he so strongly advocates for more people becoming instructors. More instructors means a broader market.

I don't really teach the NRA courses but I freely admit I got value out of the instructor courses; the TC I was recommended to was a great guy and very much focused on the instructional side since all the people in my class were either industry folks (Xator, IC, Wackenhut, etc) or worked for armored transport outfits as instructors. To make it fun, he had everyone shoot the instructor qual with their off hand and awarded swag to top shot.

My point in these ramblings is that an instructor can tailor a course to the level of students and BurkeM is one of many who work to increase the number of people who can help the community. Through him, I volunteered to help a TC with an event for MSI. Not my normal student group but it's a bit I can give to help.

If you become qualified to instruct, you are training exempt. Maybe offer to line coach for an instructor who is providing a lower cost course to those who can't afford the big money ones. Nobody expects you to run and gun.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Join MSI, get involved. Volunteer to staff the table at gun shows. You get in for free and very likely you'll meet him as he's often there representing us and informing the public about all the work we do.
    I am an MSI Member and frequent donor as well as other groups I believe in. I am handicapped and can't get around as well as I used to so I quietly donate to causes without advertising to people who may not agree with my beliefs.
    I don't recall insulting MSI but am now being preached to for simply questioning the use of IWB Holsters...

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    First, I am not qualified to teach a class. I am a private citizen who has used a Galco King Tuk IWB holster for CCW with my Florida permit. This is the first I have heard of Holster Requirements for the Maryland CCW Class. I guess Mexican carry with my .38 super is out as well. ;)
    I am starting to get a little worried as I saw a Calvert Class that stated "Body Armor" optional but recommended. I have spent many hours at public shooting ranges in my 60+ years and never felt unsafe.
    Lucky you. I’ve been muzzled several times in my less than a decade of shooting at public ranges. Including from what I knew were loaded guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom