• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not allowed for military or any law enforcement agencies I’m aware of, when they hold qualification training.

Most instructors I know only allow OWB for training - for safety of the students and the students to their left and right.

You may run your class as you see fit, based on your insurance policy and your range rules.
    Kinda going both ways on the " train as you ( will) carry " thing .

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Not allowed for military or any law enforcement agencies I’m aware of, when they hold qualification training.

Most instructors I know only allow OWB for training - for safety of the students and the students to their left and right.

You may run your class as you see fit, based on your insurance policy and your range rules.
    First, I am not qualified to teach a class. I am a private citizen who has used a Galco King Tuk IWB holster for CCW with my Florida permit. This is the first I have heard of Holster Requirements for the Maryland CCW Class. I guess Mexican carry with my .38 super is out as well. ;)
    I am starting to get a little worried as I saw a Calvert Class that stated "Body Armor" optional but recommended. I have spent many hours at public shooting ranges in my 60+ years and never felt unsafe.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Kinda going both ways on the " train as you ( will) carry " thing .
    Correct- almost all law enforcement agencies and the military require people who carry handguns to use issued OWB holsters.

IWB in law enforcement circles is relatively rare. Even in Undercover work, officers and detectives would be unarmed rather than risk detection as UC.

Most IWB is done by civilians, (with or without permits) and generally unregulated and unsupervised.

Because most commercial ranges don’t allow IWB holsters on the line, instructors often advise people to drill with their handgun at HOME with Unloaded firearms. (So many lawyers, so little time.)

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    First, I am not qualified to teach a class. I am a private citizen who has used a Galco King Tuk IWB holster for CCW with my Florida permit. This is the first I have heard of Holster Requirements for the Maryland CCW Class. I guess Mexican carry with my .38 super is out as well. ;)
    I am starting to get a little worried as I saw a Calvert Class that stated "Body Armor" optional but recommended. I have spent many hours at public shooting ranges in my 60+ years and never felt unsafe.
    JR- respectfully, I suggest you consider taking the next step and become a Maryland qualified instructor yourself.

While you may not be up to running Advanced training like Massad Ayoob, your experience is valuable to the millions of citizens who know nothing about wear and carry.

Once you have your QHIC, you’ll be exempt from the idiotic 8 hour renewal requirement for Maryland.

Teach a dozen students once in a while, help with the demand. As a bonus, you may discover that your firearms related expenses become deductible come April.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Correct- almost all law enforcement agencies and the military require people who carry handguns to use issued OWB holsters.

IWB in law enforcement circles is relatively rare. Even in Undercover work, officers and detectives would be unarmed rather than risk detection as UC.

Most IWB is done by civilians, (with or without permits) and generally unregulated and unsupervised.

Because most commercial ranges don’t allow IWB holsters on the line, instructors often advise people to drill with their handgun at HOME with Unloaded firearms. (So many lawyers, so little time.)
    I understand OWB for people who aren't generally required to Carry Concealed. I do practice IWB draw with snap caps. But I see a wide variance in these 16hr CCW classes. Why even bother having them draw hot ? Why not practice draws with an unloaded weapon and do the shooting from low ready position.
    It just feels like these classes are all over the place, either too little training or too in depth. I afraid this will come back to bite us in the rear.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    JR- respectfully, I suggest you consider taking the next step and become a Maryland qualified instructor yourself.

While you may not be up to running Advanced training like Massad Ayoob, your experience is valuable to the millions of citizens who know nothing about wear and carry.

Once you have your QHIC, you’ll be exempt from the idiotic 8 hour renewal requirement for Maryland.

Teach a dozen students once in a while, help with the demand. As a bonus, you may discover that your firearms related expenses become deductible come April.
    Look smart ass, I don't even teach things I am qualified to teach anymore and I am reluctantly taking this BS CCW course. I don't have a need to be in charge of anything at this point but I am aware many thrive on it.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Look smart ass, I don't even teach things I am qualified to teach anymore and I am reluctantly taking this BS CCW course. I don't have a need to be in charge of anything at this point but I am aware many thrive on it.
    Wow. Bristly.

Your life, your choice. You’re only in charge of your future.

I’m trying to point out that you can AVOID the idiotic 16 hours by taking the Instructor course, even if you never (ever) teach a single student over the next 40 years.

But you be you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Oh . know all that well .

Ranges owned/ operated by. * A* LE Agency will have Range Rules exactly tailored to their current issued guns and current issued gear . Good for a chuckle to visit ranges run by different LE Agency to see how they write their Rules differently to match their issued & approved gear .

In general , most Ranges will have a heavy predisposition to strong side belt level carry . When Shoulder or CD is not outright forbidden , they are reglated to one person per firing line , off the end of the firing line , with no one beyond them .

But no inherent reason why strong side IWB can't share a firing line with strong side OWB . Use a caveat of " IWB must be approved by instructor " to rule out the stupid gimmick holsters .

Civilian SD is frequently and legitimately done with other than LE Duty Calibers . Most glaringly with
    380acp .

There are a couple of approaches to CCW type training :

1. They're big boys & girls , let them use what they consider appropriate carry gear ( subject to actual safety ) , to meet the actual requirements . Heck having them first hand compare their choices to the ease of shooting and accuracy of " more normal " guns and equipment may well spur to reconsider their choices .

2. Train them up above & beyond in the direction of " wise & prudent , best practices skills " . A legit option that many will seek , but not the only ethical option .

3. Quasi LE Academy . Large existing baseline , and institutional memory/ inertia , but more limited carry over to what the students will actually use / do in real life .

( For myself , I favor strong side OWB , and serious guns for carry , and hate .380 . But it's not about making everyone a clone of me . )

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

We did, because that's how many of us carried. IWB, Appendix.
    We qualed 4 times a year and shot monthly. Off duty quals too.
    But we weren't ordinary LE either. So there's that.
    I see no difference between OWB and IWB drawing.

Last edited:

JoeC7ZO6

Jul 3, 2022
    Calvert County MD
    In the past years I have seen some interesting things in firearms courses. With the recent demand for the Md Wear and Carry Handgun Permit course I continue to see students making some mistakes that can be easily addressed, especially students fairly new to carrying a firearm.

I have added a post to my website addressing some of the issues, mistakes, and misconceptions in the hopes I could help a few people to be more comfortable before they attend their course. You can find it at https://trainingfa.wixsite.com/trainingfa under the "courses" pull down on top of the page. I hope it helps.
    TD
    Is this Moe? It certainly sounds like it. I just took his class this past weekend he’s an awesome instructor!

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Is this Moe? It certainly sounds like it. I just took his class this past weekend he’s an awesome instructor!
    I hope this is not Moe because I'm registered for his class. I have been been told he is an excellent instructor as well.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    We did, because that's how many of us carried. IWB, Appendix.
    We qualed 4 times a year and shot monthly. Off duty quals too.
    But we weren't ordinary LE either. So there's that.
    I see no difference between OWB and IWB drawing.
    FAMS are an exceptional group, and they trained to a higher standard than any other group in LE.

I know of no other agency that had monthly range days on a regular basis.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Jr88,

BurkeM, so far as I can tell, is not being a smartass. He is offering a way around the regular taking of a class. While not close personal friends or anything, I have met the man and he seems to be a genuine and helpful sort who gives a lot of his time to get more people into shooting.

Nothing says you MUST teach if you get instructor creds. And you can always "hire out" to help other instructors as a line coach if you don't have access to an appropriate range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom