• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    In the past years I have seen some interesting things in firearms courses. With the recent demand for the Md Wear and Carry Handgun Permit course I continue to see students making some mistakes that can be easily addressed, especially students fairly new to carrying a firearm.

I have added a post to my website addressing some of the issues, mistakes, and misconceptions in the hopes I could help a few people to be more comfortable before they attend their course. You can find it at https://trainingfa.wixsite.com/trainingfa under the "courses" pull down on top of the page. I hope it helps.
    TD

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    250 - 300 rounds of ammo????
    When I took the Wear and Carry course, I only used roughly 60 rounds of ammunition, and it was my first time shooting a pistol after a few years. I'd say 100 should be fine, although that can change depending on if the person never shot any firearm before.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    That would make it 304. Me and everyone else in the class I attended qualified in under 5 hours.
    It’s hard to shoot 37.5 rounds.

Or 31.25.

I’ve never observed his class, but his advice is all reasonable and practical.

Shooting 200 rounds in holster drills and various positions (standing, sitting, kneeling, kneeling and standing with a barricade) would be prudent for an advanced class during a 5-6 hour training day, with the last 2 hours focusing on the qualification (25 or 50 rounds, depending on which standard is required).

That’s what many people on MDS seem to be demanding, a full range day instead of 7 hours of war stories and bad guidance.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    It’s hard to shoot 37.5 rounds.

Or 31.25.

I’ve never observed his class, but his advice is all reasonable and practical.

Shooting 200 rounds in holster drills and various positions (standing, sitting, kneeling, kneeling and standing with a barricade) would be prudent for an advanced class during a 5-6 hour training day, with the last 2 hours focusing on the qualification (25 or 50 rounds, depending on which standard is required).

That’s what many people on MDS seem to be demanding, a full range day instead of 7 hours of war stories and bad guidance.
    With that in mind, I don't see how 8 hours would be necessary if you're not a private detective or an employee of a security company. Ordinary, law-abiding citizens are not trained to clear buildings or rescue a hostage like law enforcement. The basic course should be no more than 2 hours in my personal opinion. For the private detectives and security company employees, 4 hours. I think that they have to renew their carry permit every year, which seems understandable.

larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore
    With that in mind, I don't see how 8 hours would be necessary if you're not a private detective or an employee of a security company. Ordinary, law-abiding citizens are not trained to clear buildings or rescue a hostage like law enforcement. The basic course should be no more than 2 hours in my personal opinion. For the private detectives and security company employees, 4 hours. I think that they have to renew their carry permit every year, which seems understandable.
    This is my thinking also

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Everyone gets a 2 year permit the first time, 3 years every renewal.

Security Guards and Private Detectives qualify every 3 years, same as everyone else, but must meet the 50 round standards at longer ranges. (If they qualify more often, that’s only due to personal initiatives or company policy.)

The 8 hour renewal class only exists because the General Assembly picked that number out of thin air.

Other states require NOTHING to renew their permits, just as Maryland requires absolutely no additional driver training to Renew your DL or tags. (You can even install a hitch and buy aand tow a 2 to 20 ton trailer with no additional training.)

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    You don't allow IWB holsters for the class ? Really
    Not allowed for military or any law enforcement agencies I’m aware of, when they hold qualification training.

Most instructors I know only allow OWB for training - for safety of the students and the students to their left and right.

You may run your class as you see fit, based on your insurance policy and your range rules.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    Everyone gets a 2 year permit the first time, 3 years every renewal.

Security Guards and Private Detectives qualify every 3 years, same as everyone else, but must meet the 50 round standards at longer ranges. (If they qualify more often, that’s only due to personal initiatives or company policy.)

The 8 hour renewal class only exists because the General Assembly picked that number out of thin air.

Other states require NOTHING to renew their permits, just as Maryland requires absolutely no additional driver training to Renew your DL or tags. (You can even install a hitch and buy aand tow a 2 to 20 ton trailer with no additional training.)
    The Armored Car Drivers and Guards go through renewal every year. I just found that information on my certification sheet. The 8 hour requirement is definitely gonna be scrutinized with the Bruen decision. I heard that surety bonds for carrying a firearm with insurance might stand, but I don't know when they first became a thing.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    250 - 300 rounds of ammo????
    Depending on the class progress rate I have had courses fire as little as 150 rds and others have run out of ammo by the end. The range time in my course is about 5 hours with a variety of drills. Yes, that’s a lot more than the minimum the state requires, but I don’t teach the minimum. If a person would rather shoot 25-30 rounds I am sure there are other instructors that can offer them a course.

To be fair, when ammo got stupid expensive I reduced it to 200-250 rounds. Guess I never updated to website.

TD

Last edited:

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    The Armored Car Drivers and Guards go through renewal every year. I just found that information on my certification sheet.
    Not a requirement in Maryland law, not required by MSP.

They must qualify every 3 years, like everyone else, but use the longer range targets and Fire more rounds.

(I’d suggest you work up to qualify on the harder course, to develop your own skills.)

Practical Police Course

Last edited:

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    Not a requirement in Maryland law, not required by MSP.

They must qualify every 3 years, like everyone else, but use the longer range targets and Fire more rounds.

(I’d suggest you work up to qualify on the harder course, to develop your own skills.)

Practical Police Course

Ooooh! Thank you for your suggestion. I got my holster about a week and a half ago for the Glock 19, which I used for qualification, and I like the holster so far. It's not the best, but not the worst, and I really should go to the range in Mardela Springs for practice.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    To be fair, when ammo got stupid expensive I reduced it to 200-250 rounds. Guess I never updated to website.

TD
    IMHO, your plan sounds immensely reasonable and practical for someone who actually intends to carry regularly.

Not quite as grueling as classes than burn 1,000 rounds in a day per trainee. (Yes, 120-130 per hour.). I’ve been places where we burned 250 rounds in an hour of shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom