What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Added a Mr. Bullet Dropper to the old Dillon 650XL. Man, why did I wait so long. This thing is great. Just started reloading 9mm and all I can say is wow... of course I now have to get a .45acp conversion kit for it....

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Added a Mr. Bullet Dropper to the old Dillon 650XL. Man, why did I wait so long. This thing is great. Just started reloading 9mm and all I can say is wow... of course I now have to get a .45acp conversion kit for it....

I liked my so much I bought a 2nd one for my other 650. So now I can run 223, 9mm, 40 S&W with my presses and like you I will be ordering the 45 app kit soon. It's a great upgrade and works like a charm.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Just finished casting a few hundred bullets for my M39 Mosin. I’ll powder coat them tomorrow evening, and load them on Friday.
    I’ve got a lot of casting to do. I try to knock all my casting out, before the end of winter. No fun standing around hot lead, in the summer months.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Case prep on 100pcs once fired 300 win including deburring the flash holes and uniforming the primer pockets. Weight checked the brass afterwards all 100 pieces were within 1.8gr. Factory hornady from their precision hunter line.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    sorted 45 pounds of FREE .308 brass - mostly Federal with some PPU (nny). Now to start depriming...............................

Depriming done and threw some in the tumbler to see how they'd come out. For the experienced reloader, is the "discoloration" on the case on the right (or top) cause for any concern? There are no cracks, pitting or other signs of failure.

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200206153824237_COVER.jpg
      00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200206153824237_COVER.jpg
      29.3 KB · Views: 242

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Seagrave, My limited experience tells me those had blow by and were not sealing up as much as they could when fired. Walnut media? How long?

I loaded up 250 rounds of 223 and and 200 rounds of 9mm. With my college age son now coming to the range and occupying his own lane, seems like rate of fire is now triple compare to me by myself. Note to self, bring more 22 pistols/rifles next time.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Lots of ammo has a little gas escape prior to when forcement occurs. That gas expands so rapidly often a little puff precedes the bullet out of the muzzle before the bullet clears the bore. Generally the clearance between the case neck and chamber will allow some fouling to occur because of clearance. If it was farther down the neck and on the taper something could be up.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Seagrave, My limited experience tells me those had blow by and were not sealing up as much as they could when fired. Walnut media? How long?

I loaded up 250 rounds of 223 and and 200 rounds of 9mm. With my college age son now coming to the range and occupying his own lane, seems like rate of fire is now triple compare to me by myself. Note to self, bring more 22 pistols/rifles next time.

Yes - walnut media with a bit of polishing paste for about 5 hours.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Lots of ammo has a little gas escape prior to when forcement occurs. That gas expands so rapidly often a little puff precedes the bullet out of the muzzle before the bullet clears the bore. Generally the clearance between the case neck and chamber will allow some fouling to occur because of clearance. If it was farther down the neck and on the taper something could be up.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The cases I have found so far only have the discoloration at the neck - nothing any further down the case. I'm thinking if I keep them in the tumbler longer it would probably remove the discoloration - would that be a good assumption?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yes you could leave them in there longer but a little twist some scotch brite and a few more minutes would clear that right up. (I just don't like to leave the tumbler run too long unattended) I don't see anything unusual there and only mentioned blackening worst case.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Yes you could leave them in there longer but a little twist some scotch brite and a few more minutes would clear that right up. (I just don't like to leave the tumbler run too long unattended) I don't see anything unusual there and only mentioned blackening worst case.

Will give that a go - thanks!

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Tonight’s casting session!
    On the left is about 50 58 cal Minnie balls
    On the right is about 75 50 cal bullets for my Gallagher carbine.
    In the metal can in the background is about 70 69 cal round balls.

Still got a lot of casting to do before the skirmish season starts.

Attachments

• 6A9533F4-209A-4921-AB34-C775EBEA8A3D.jpg
      6A9533F4-209A-4921-AB34-C775EBEA8A3D.jpg
      96.4 KB · Views: 358

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Tonight’s casting session!
    On the left is about 50 58 cal Minnie balls
    On the right is about 75 50 cal bullets for my Gallagher carbine.
    In the metal can in the background is about 70 69 cal round balls.

Still got a lot of casting to do before the skirmish season starts.

Purdy!

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    With the day being a wash-out, what better way to spend the time indoors. I don't know how many there are in this batch, but they are now deprimed, cleaned and resized.

Attachments

• IMG_20200211_124055.jpg
      IMG_20200211_124055.jpg
      94.8 KB · Views: 293

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    In an effort to stay away from the Kitchen in the past few evenings I've prepped 400 223 cases for plinking ammo to shoot steel targets.
    I"m going to take some sorted walnut cleaned 223 cases I have and then deprime them and water tumble to make them look nicer. Those will go towards my 69SMK reload formula.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I prepped and tested a ladder of charge weights for my M1. 168gr HPBT over 43.5 to 47gr IMR4895. Somewhat happy with the results as I found two nodes that were about 2 MOA at 100 yards. Going to increase the overall length and try to pinpoint the right charge to get around 1.5 MOA, which should be possible with this rifle. It's a criterion barreled CMP rifle and hornaday match ammo shoots about 1.5-2 MOA. It's been challenging finding the right set of components for this M1 but I think I'm close and I can't wait to stretch the legs out to 200 yards

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Broke the arm off of part number 13940 on my Dillon auto measure. Got 400 9mm done before it broke... Sent Dillon an email. Pretty sure they will take care of it. Second broken part since 1994...

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Loaded up 20rnds of 300 win mag for further testing with h1000 and 208gr amax loaded .020 off the lands. Powder charge is well over book max but no pressure signs and only the slightest bit of crunch when I seat the bullets. Im finding book loads for 300 win to be very conservative probably because of the short coal in the manuals intruding on powder space .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom