What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    The white pegboard is handy and it brightens the area up. I did the same in all of my shop areas in the basement.

I've already changed it up a little bit by ripping a piece of pine to make a longer shelf in place of the one currently in the picture, and then mounting the shorter shelf just below it. There's never enough storage.

Since the workshop is also used for wood projects which generates a lot of dust, I've focused on mostly drawer storage rather than open shelves. I have quite a few die sets which are currently stored in the top drawer of the red mechanic's roller cabinet on the left in the pic. And since it's not possible to read the labels on the edge of the boxes when they're in the drawer (stacked 2 deep), I end up taking every single one of them out before finally getting to the one I need....Murphy strikes again, as always! I've thought about building a shelf on the block wall. I'll also probably pick up a small parts drawer unit to store the small fiddly stuff that's needed for reloading, like shell holders and dummy rounds.

JoeR

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    50 rounds of .38 special...that's all the brass I had in .38 special...but I did it in half an hour which is about twice as fast as my old single stage press would go. I'll get faster the more I play with this Turret press.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I've already changed it up a little bit by ripping a piece of pine to make a longer shelf in place of the one currently in the picture, and then mounting the shorter shelf just below it. There's never enough storage.

Since the workshop is also used for wood projects which generates a lot of dust, I've focused on mostly drawer storage rather than open shelves. I have quite a few die sets which are currently stored in the top drawer of the red mechanic's roller cabinet on the left in the pic. And since it's not possible to read the labels on the edge of the boxes when they're in the drawer (stacked 2 deep), I end up taking every single one of them out before finally getting to the one I need....Murphy strikes again, as always! I've thought about building a shelf on the block wall. I'll also probably pick up a small parts drawer unit to store the small fiddly stuff that's needed for reloading, like shell holders and dummy rounds.

JoeR

No woodworking, mainly metalworking, electronics, and now reloading which I had to squeeze into the electronic area because I ran out of room. I haven't figured out what to do with my dies either and they are just shoved wherever they fit at the moment. Big downsizing in progress so eventually I'll have it all sorted out.

Lathe_crop.jpg

P6110003 (2).jpg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    No woodworking, mainly metalworking, electronics, and now reloading which I had to squeeze into the electronic area because I ran out of room. I haven't figured out what to do with my dies either and they are just shoved wherever they fit at the moment. Big downsizing in progress so eventually I'll have it all sorted out.

View attachment 197160

I like the old school analog electronics equipment. Is that a signal generator? Nice lathe too.

I see you have a case of Corona stuffed in the corner, get that pisswater back into the fridge it's value just went up 20%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I like the old school analog electronics equipment. Is that a signal generator? Nice lathe too.

I see you have a case of Corona stuffed in the corner, get that pisswater back into the fridge it's value just went up 20%

I wish that case would magically refill every time I pulled one out.:) It's just a storage box now.

The bench used to be full of equipment but sold most of it years ago. The signal generator needs to go as well. It's a Motorola made by Systron Donner IIRC. Back when I was deep into Amateur Radio the big thing was to retune high quality commercial radios into the HAM band.

I could go on and on about the features that lathe has but I don't want to derail too much. I used to have a side business for around 15 years doing production and prototype work. It was a manual that I converted to CNC but can also go back to manual just by loosening one cap bolt and not powering up the axis motors. The controller is a 4 axis and I was planning to automate the 4 position tool holder and tailstock hex turret but never got around to it.

Last edited:

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Well, this post isn't about what I did at the reloading bench today...but it's not a thread-jack either. At the bench last week, I worked through the frustration of the primer feed on my 550B, letting me spend quality time at the range this afternoon shooting the .357 Magnum loads I made up. I started with some rounds I reloaded for cowboy action several years ago. Then I switched over to the full-house defense loads from last week. The pistol was a S&W Model 28 I bought more than a year ago at Scott's Gunsmithing and hadn't really sighted it in yet. They were shooting low at 7 yards, but 6 clicks on the sight took care of that problem. The S&W double action trigger pull is just so smooth, and the weight of the N-frame revolver reduces the muzzle flip and recoil to almost nothing. I also ran 5 of them through my son's Winchester model 1892 clone. They fed and fired perfectly. And, from a rifle, the recoil was truly negligible.

A good day at the range...because of time at the bench!!

JoeR

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Scrounged up some pewter objects today to melt down for the tin content. Or would that pew-pew-pewter since it's gun related? Pewter is 85% to 98% tin.

Spent $6.00 on the items. Recovered 12oz. of tin. Pretty good deal since tin is running about $25.00 for 16oz. shipped.

At the bottom of the pot was a bit of yellowish material. Has to be bronze. Since bronze is a combination of copper and tin. And pewter contains just a percentage or two of copper.

Checkit!

Pewter and Tin 001.jpg

Pewter and Tin 008.jpg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Picked up 2lbs if A2230 at the Gettysburg show. Never used it before so worked up 10 test loads with Nosler 69gr HPBT, to see what works best in my stick.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Started to load 45-70 this evening and had a major problem with static electricity. The powder was sticking to my plastic funnel. I tried for about an hour to get rid of the static but nothing worked. Then it dawned on me to use a clothes dryer fabric softener sheet and it got rid of static instantly.

Last edited:

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Started to load 45-70 this evening and had a major problem with static electricity. The powder was sticking to my plastic funnel. I tried for about an hour to get rid of the static but noting worked. Then it dawned on me to use a clothes dryer fabric softener sheet and it got rid of static instantly.

its too dry where you are working.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    200 rounds of 5.56 for range plinking. Went real quick only measuring powder charges every 5 rounds.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Since the hot .357 rounds I made up last week shot so nicely, I reloaded another 50 rounds this afternoon. Also, I realized that my cache of .45 Colt ammunition hasn't been replenished lately, so I did 200 rounds of cowboy loads -- 6.1 gr of W-231 under a 200 grain lead round nose, flat point bullet.

JoeR

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    It certainly does. It's the prelude to everything in this thread. And besides, it's what I used to do the reloading listed above!

JoeR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom