What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Not really at the bench but got a chance to do my first field test on my competition hand loads.

Fruits of my labor. 1 MOA at 100yds

bb9a43fe5493baa486a69ac19ff615bc.jpg

Considering I'm using a stock barrel and a 4x scope and it was windy today I'm pleased.

Here is the exact same setup but using American Eagle 55g Factory loads

105783dfe2ea3f6922a427e4fae51a8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    i threw a bunch of camo clothing and steel and bismuth shotgun ammo on it now that duck season is over. The question is when will I clear it off again and use it for its intended purpose

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    You guys might like this one. About 6 yrs ago I built this spots equipment sanitizing cabinet. My son plays Ice Hockey and any parent who has a kid that plays knows what I'm talking about. It works great.

Today I decided to use it to dry my brass after wet tumbling. I don't know why I didn't think if it before.

He only has a few more games and this is his final year in schools. So this is now officially reloading apparatus. I'm going to add a few shelves and a switch to turn off the Ozone generator and I'm good to go.

5aa73495bc8aa8f0c086032a735ad0be.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Nice use of the equipment.
    My son may be playing your son this week :)
    He's a sophomore though

I hand dipped 150 rounds of 9mm cast in alox.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Can't see how I could use it on a Lee Loadmaster :( . Station 3 is powder then 4 is bullet seating , can't do bullet seating in 5 as can't get my fingers in there.

I run my cases through twice which may or may not work for you. The first trip is deprime/size, expand/flare, then they get tumbled. Second is powder, powder cop, seat bullet, remove any excess flare with a separate die.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    You guys might like this one. About 6 yrs ago I built this spots equipment sanitizing cabinet. My son plays Ice Hockey and any parent who has a kid that plays knows what I'm talking about. It works great.

Today I decided to use it to dry my brass after wet tumbling. I don't know why I didn't think if it before.

He only has a few more games and this is his final year in schools. So this is now officially reloading apparatus. I'm going to add a few shelves and a switch to turn off the Ozone generator and I'm good to go.

5aa73495bc8aa8f0c086032a735ad0be.jpg

I wonder if a food dehydrator would also work. Any thoughts?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I wonder if a food dehydrator would also work. Any thoughts?

Of course it would. Heat and moving air = dry.

I have a little Nesco that I use for my Deer Jerkey. It would work great I think if I really wanted to dry it out quicker than normal. Its sloped though so It may not hold the brass so well unless it was rifle and I placed carefully. Right now, being winter, my brass is drying out pretty well indoors.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I run my cases through twice which may or may not work for you. The first trip is deprime/size, expand/flare, then they get tumbled. Second is powder, powder cop, seat bullet, remove any excess flare with a separate die.

So powder in 2 ? Won't be able to use the powder system built in to the Loadmaster. I do the deprime on a turret press and use a hand primer so if I can figure out how to powder in 2 it will work. Thanks

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    So powder in 2 ? Won't be able to use the powder system built in to the Loadmaster. I do the deprime on a turret press and use a hand primer so if I can figure out how to powder in 2 it will work. Thanks

Oh, I'm not familiar with Lee other than their single stage presses. I also hand prime and can move the powder dispenser to any station on the Hornady.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Of course it would. Heat and moving air = dry.

I have a little Nesco that I use for my Deer Jerkey. It would work great I think if I really wanted to dry it out quicker than normal. Its sloped though so It may not hold the brass so well unless it was rifle and I placed carefully. Right now, being winter, my brass is drying out pretty well indoors.

Is there any benefit to wet tumble versus vibratory with dry media?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Is there any benefit to wet tumble versus vibratory with dry media?

My experience along with others is it mostly affect how it looks. You can get 90% there w/ just wet tumbling w/ dish soap and maybe some lemon shine. It will LOOK nicer than dry tumbling. I tried pins for a while but it was just too much hastle. For really nasty range brass (which I rarely pick up anymore), I can just dry vibe, then wet tumble and looks pretty good. Toss anything extreme out.

I dry vibe clean most of my stuff. Lately, I have just been wanting it to look pretty so went back to wet tumbling some stuff. I've been having less and less time to shoot and my time in the mornings waiting for kids to get on the bus is pretty fixed. That is when I do most of my prep cause I can get interrupted easily.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    My experience along with others is it mostly affect how it looks. You can get 90% there w/ just wet tumbling w/ dish soap and maybe some lemon shine. It will LOOK nicer than dry tumbling. I tried pins for a while but it was just too much hastle. For really nasty range brass (which I rarely pick up anymore), I can just dry vibe, then wet tumble and looks pretty good. Toss anything extreme out.

I dry vibe clean most of my stuff. Lately, I have just been wanting it to look pretty so went back to wet tumbling some stuff. I've been having less and less time to shoot and my time in the mornings waiting for kids to get on the bus is pretty fixed. That is when I do most of my prep cause I can get interrupted easily.

Thanks for the info

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Can't see how I could use it on a Lee Loadmaster :( . Station 3 is powder then 4 is bullet seating , can't do bullet seating in 5 as can't get my fingers in there.

Yeah, not sure about your Lee but on a Hornady it's no problem. 1. decap/size. 2. flare/powder drop. 3. Powder cop. 4. bullet seat. 5. crimp
    Hornady has a neat powder dropper that will flare the case at the same time. I wonder if it would work on your Lee? Best to get one for each caliber you load the most though because changing them once set up is a real pain and time consuming. I have one for .223 and 9mm.
    Other calibers I'll use a hand operated powder drop and often a single stage for the rest of the steps.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I haven't done any reloading over the last couple of years for a number of reasons, the major one was a house renovation which required packing up presses and dismantling the bench. With that behind us, I've enjoyed getting everything set up and renewing my interest in reloading. And, after a stressful day at work, it was highly therapeutic to head down into the workshop and actually accomplish something! I also haven't shot my 45-70 rifles in a while and was running low on ammunition to feed them. So, I spent some quality time with my single-stage RCBS tonight and reloaded 100 rounds, 50 with 15 grains of Trail Boss, and 50 with 44 grains of Varget. Both were topped by cast 300 grain Truncated Cone bullets from Meister Cast.

Hopefully, I'll get to the range this weekend and have a chance to see how they shoot.

JoeR

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I haven't done any reloading over the last couple of years for a number of reasons, the major one was a house renovation which required packing up presses and dismantling the bench. With that behind us, I've enjoyed getting everything set up and renewing my interest in reloading. And, after a stressful day at work, it was highly therapeutic to head down into the workshop and actually accomplish something! I also haven't shot my 45-70 rifles in a while and was running low on ammunition to feed them. So, I spent some quality time with my single-stage RCBS tonight and reloaded 100 rounds, 50 with 15 grains of Trail Boss, and 50 with 44 grains of Varget. Both were topped by cast 300 grain Truncated Cone bullets from Meister Cast.

Hopefully, I'll get to the range this weekend and have a chance to see how they shoot.

JoeR

Sounds like a nice way to end the day.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

JoeR

I'll just assume you don't own a camera or have feet...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom