• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Careful! Many of the ones sold w/ the skeleton stock and 10-rd mags are single stack and can NOT accept the 30rd mags. (There are 10rd double stack mags but rare.) I have no idea what it takes to convert one to double stack but its probably not worth the hassle given the price (machining for sure, new bolt?, other parts?)

Same bolt, but it's a pain in the ass for sure.

Unless you're very good at what you're doing you'll end up with sloppy mag fit and a magazine that wobbles all over the place.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Not sure if it's good to go with the polywood stock, but I'd advise you not to do that anyways, if you're buying directly from Czechpoint anyways.

The 10 round fixed mags are a pain in the ass to get. I'd just get one that takes regular mags and buy the mags out of state.

The czech rifles are amazing, though. Even the 10 round sporters are sweet. Fit and finish is amazing, and I've never had a malfunction out of any of the ones I've fired personally.

You probably just saved me form a big mistake, and that explains why it is so reasonable. I was not aware the made these in 10rd only. Its a good price, but not a super fantastic price, especially with Czechpoint putting standard cap blems out with mags sup $1,000.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    not only that, but until EXTREMELY recently, the czechpoint rifles did not come with bayonet mount or muzzle brake, due to the fact that the CZ chrome lined barrels are only 15 1/2 inches long, they had to do this whole barrel shroud thing. It was a pain in the ass.

So now, they give you a bayonet mount, as well as the muzzle brake that the things are issued with, and all the goodness of the old czechpoint/D-technik rifles.

Get one of THOSE

You will never ever ever be sorry.

Even without the bayo mount and muzzle brake, I love my Czechpoints, and after putting a folding stock on one, I can tell you without hesitation that it is my 100% trusted SHTF weapon, outclassing most of my AKs, and tied with one of my favorite arsenals.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I hope the price of the czechpoint rifles with the bayo and brake comes down to about 790 again, like it was before the panic hit

+1.

Everytime I look, the non-blem bayo/brake version is OOS, so I don't know if we'll see $790 again but it'd be nice if they at least hit the three figure mark again.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    honestly, if it hits 950 or lower I'm on it like smoke on shit.

The good news is this:

The VZ-58 is still being manufactured. It's an INCREDIBLE weapons platform and serves the Czech republic well to this day.

There is no shortage of parts, and as time goes on, the price will come down as demand subsides.

I want one so bad.

The only thing the VZ-2008 had on the czech rifle was the muzzle brake and ability to mount a bayonet...

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    on the plus side, my CAI VZ-2008 seems to be working EXCELLENT

Not a hiccup in almost a thousand rounds now- although it's killing my wallet to keep testing it to make sure it's something I can rely on

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My Vz-2008 is also running really well - put 3 mags through with no failures of any sort. Front sight seems to be basically straight, too - only had to make a minor drum adjustment to get it zeroed at 50yds. Also really liking how light it is.

My only complaint is the furniture: the stock is like having a steel girder rammed into your shoulder, the cheek weld is uncomfortable, the pistol grip pummels my wrist, and the handguard heats up too fast. Gotta decide how I want to fix all that, preferably without making it too heavy.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    just pull your sleeve over your hand, or line the inside of the factory handguard with JB weld, it kind of works as a heat shield. There's enough steel in it to make it no joke magnetic.

Also, the lockup to the receiver of the magazines is REALLY tight, not like an AK (even a milled one) at all, so you can support the weapon by the magazine if you have to.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have some thermal tape I could use, too. That's how I did my VEPR 54R handguard's heatshield. It has worked pretty well thus far.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I've thought of putting foil reflective tape on the inside of the guard. Like this:
    http://www.designengineering.com/ca...gineering-inc/heat-sound-barrier/reflect-gold
    Have some leftover from a racecar proj. Haven't looked yet to see if it will fit inside. I forget until I'm at the range and its hot again;)

My vz58 folder is short enough that the red dot side mount hits me in the glasses (and scratched my good polarized sunglasses:mad54:). Zahal sells a little rubber slip-on buttpad for it that would help get a slightly longer LOP but I wonder if its enough. I'm tall and spindly/lanky. I really should adapt/machine a thicker one and bolt it on. I've thought about taking the spare stock from my parts kit and cutting+welding it longer and making it look factory.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    on the plus side, my CAI VZ-2008 seems to be working EXCELLENT

Not a hiccup in almost a thousand rounds now- although it's killing my wallet to keep testing it to make sure it's something I can rely on

Same experience with mine though with only 400 rounds. As for ergonomics, the handgrip works OK for me, and the fore end does get hot but I just put on a glove and keep shooting.

The butt stock does need attention. I split a piece of rubber hose and put it around the horizontal part, then covered with some black athletic wrap. Also cut a piece of stiff foam rubber to match the butt pad and wrapped that on too. Not the prettiest solution but it does the job.

I may change to something prettier later. Youtube has some nice examples of wrapping the stock in paracord I might try. Here's a link to the wrap. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FA201C/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's similar to that camo wrap tape that sticks to itself without adhesive.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.jpg
      IMG_0290.jpg
      94.2 KB · Views: 260

.458 Dave

Sep 10, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Anyone running AK grips on their VZ's? I've seen some pictures of some and want to run a US Palm grip on mine. How much modification does it require?

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale

Just installed some VZ58 wood furniture fresh from Melnik, Stredocesky. Fits great and in my opinion looks waaaaaaay better than the crap it came with. Im going to rock it like this for awhile and then probably sand and stain it another shade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom