• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    If you're recoil sensitive you should try an AK-74 style or razorback brake from CNC warrior in 14x1RH thread pitch.

The razorback is quite small, and one of the most effective brakes I've ever used. The 74 style looks good and works great also.

Or you could always go with the VZ-58 brake, which is INCREDIBLY effective at countering recoil on this particular rifle. There were two or three different versions, the two that work best are this one, that CNC warrior did not until recently have
    http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=23263
    24205-2T.jpg

And this one, which I can't seem to find any vendors for, but bought used from a buddy of mine and works great:
    Vz58_MuzzleBrakeTop.jpg

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Thanks for the suggestion. Never would have thought of adding one of those. Looks good and if effective would be very nice for my shoulder, lol

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    What she looks like now:

VZ1Edited_zps54346db9.jpg

I used paracord as well, but went about it differently. That's a King Cobra all the way down the stock and then on the buttpad I took a piece of dense closed-cell pipe insulation and paracord wrapped it to provide cushion. I haven't shot it yet, but we'll see. Really experimenting with various options at this point

Did you just paint the guards? I thought about buying some railed guards but dang are they expensive.

A_Nonymous

Jun 13, 2011
    No, I ordered the black handguards from Checkpoint USA, they had excellent customer service and I had the parts in a couple of days. The pistol grip is a Mako that I got from Amazon, but unfortunately they don't always include the pistol grip screw. For those that have replaced them, you know that the grip screw from a stock VZ58 is incredibly long, almost the length of the entire pistol grip. Well, when you replace the pistol grip with aftermarket, the aftermarket is usually hollow so that you can store spare parts, batteries, etc. This means the factory grip screw definitely will not work.

I will say Mako has horrendous customer service, as it has been 48 hours since they said they would "call me right back". I did some digging online and the screw you need is a M6x1x25mm. Went to the local hardware store, grabbed one, and I am good to go.

You may ask why I'd want a Mako, but I like the ergonomics of the Mako over anything else available. It is very similar to the pistol grips that I have from other companies on my other rifles. Fits my hand perfectly.

And I wouldn't paint the stock wood-impregnated plastic furniture i fear of the +200F temps that so many observe on the VZ. Most paint would just melt off or become really tacky at that temperature and cause a mess. So unless you are using a high-temp coating intended for firearms, don't even consider it.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    What she looks like now:

VZ1Edited_zps54346db9.jpg

I used paracord as well, but went about it differently. That's a King Cobra all the way down the stock and then on the buttpad I took a piece of dense closed-cell pipe insulation and paracord wrapped it to provide cushion. I haven't shot it yet, but we'll see. Really experimenting with various options at this point

That's sexy.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    If you're recoil sensitive you should try an AK-74 style or razorback brake from CNC warrior in 14x1RH thread pitch.

The razorback is quite small, and one of the most effective brakes I've ever used. The 74 style looks good and works great also.

Or you could always go with the VZ-58 brake, which is INCREDIBLY effective at countering recoil on this particular rifle. There were two or three different versions, the two that work best are this one, that CNC warrior did not until recently have
    http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=23263
    24205-2T.jpg

And this one, which I can't seem to find any vendors for, but bought used from a buddy of mine and works great:
    Vz58_MuzzleBrakeTop.jpg

I swapped out the ak style slant brake for one of the cnc warrior Czech brakes. I think it looks more correct now. So tempted to buy another vz2008 and put the beaver barf fixed stock on it. I ordered an extra vz folding stock that I plan on putting on a khyberish ak build. I already have a mixed kit for it that includes Romanian, polish, Chinese, Hungarian and Egyptian parts.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    you are going to shit a brick when you see how effective the CNCwarrior czech style brake is on these particular rifles.

It's like night and day. Better even than the ak-74 style.

Please post some pics of the rifle with the brake on it!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    And I wouldn't paint the stock wood-impregnated plastic furniture i fear of the +200F temps that so many observe on the VZ. Most paint would just melt off or become really tacky at that temperature and cause a mess. So unless you are using a high-temp coating intended for firearms, don't even consider it.

My son just got one and the earlier description beaver barf fits perfectly. Don't know why you couldn't use engine or brake caliper paint from the local auto store. Though it sounds like you need a welders glove to hang on to it.

Henry

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale

Just returned from Freestate. MAN THAT PLACE WAS BUSY! Anyway, it was my first time shooting the VZ2008 and my recent 300 black out build. Both were successful. That VZ2008 is a nice little shooter. It failed to feed once on the first mag. The next 100 were smooth. Barely any recoil. I didn't try it with the stock brake. The one from CNCwarrior did the job. That hand guard does get pretty damn hot after a little shooting.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    you are going to shit a brick when you see how effective the CNCwarrior czech style brake is on these particular rifles.

It's like night and day. Better even than the ak-74 style.

Please post some pics of the rifle with the brake on it!

Here you go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 574

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    it's actually slightly shorter than the ak-74 style brake. CNC warrior used to have two versions of this brake, one with larger side holes and fewer top ports, and the one that is now mounted on the rifle pictured above.

I have the former, and it works great, and the ones that these are a copy of work great too, so I don't see why these wouldn't

As for the handguards getting hot, this is in fact true.

Strangely, not all of the lower handguards seem to conduct heat the same. Some are a little bit more insulated than other. You can always buy one with a heat shield from Czechpoint or gun broker.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    After I plowed my driveway, I loaded up a 30 round mag with some Wolf Military Classic. The VZ didn't miss a beat. That is one bad ass rifle for $500!

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    yeah mine works great now. Not a hickup since the initial teething in over 500 rounds now.

There was a crack in my lower handguard, very small but it bothered me.

So I lined the inside with JB weld after hitting it with some brake cleaner, and made sure to get it into the crack.

I didn't want to get a new handguard for the rifle, since this one has some stuff carved into it.

It says Hektor Maja and has a date.

Anyways, the JB weld seems to be working well as a makeshift heat shield.

Interesting.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have a dumb question for you guys. I am looking at a Czechpoint right now that is affordable and MD legal (10rd factory mags) but has that stupid black skeleton stock on it.

Does anyone know if their are enough US parts in them to achieve 922R legal status if I replaced the furniture with military surplus polywood fixed stock? Or even just put a folding stock on the back?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I am looking at a Czechpoint right now that is affordable and MD legal (10rd factory mags) but has that stupid black skeleton stock on it.

Careful! Many of the ones sold w/ the skeleton stock and 10-rd mags are single stack and can NOT accept the 30rd mags. (There are 10rd double stack mags but rare.) I have no idea what it takes to convert one to double stack but its probably not worth the hassle given the price (machining for sure, new bolt?, other parts?)

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Not sure if it's good to go with the polywood stock, but I'd advise you not to do that anyways, if you're buying directly from Czechpoint anyways.

The 10 round fixed mags are a pain in the ass to get. I'd just get one that takes regular mags and buy the mags out of state.

The czech rifles are amazing, though. Even the 10 round sporters are sweet. Fit and finish is amazing, and I've never had a malfunction out of any of the ones I've fired personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom