• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    Im attempting to get all my paperwork straight now but cannot find anyone that still does ink fingerprints anywhere close to me. Any clue to help me out. I live in Cambridge. I have tried MSP, local sheriffs office and local PD's in a small radius to Cambridge. Everyone is doing live scan and they cannot be used.

The only place I found to do ink prints is Carroll County Sheriffs Office. They do it from I think 9-3 Tuesdays only and it only costs 5 bucks per card.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I believe that means a livescan transmission. Printing from a scan on your fingerprint cards might be ok. Why not email VSP and find out?

nonrespermitquestions@vsp.virginia.gov

Here is a checklist. Only bad part under fingerprints is the word impression. But maybe a printout of the scan is acceptable as well. A scan is a copy of an impression. I'd email for clarification. They usually answer promptly.

From the web site:

The Virginia statute governing the issuance of Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits requires the fingerprint impressions be obtained by a law enforcement agency, only. Private agencies and/or electronic submission of the prints is not authorized.
    Upon submission of the fingerprint impressions, the applicant will be required to provide a telephone number of the law enforcement individual taking the prints to facilitate this Department’s validation of print authenticity.

Attachments

• Checklist-Revised_2013.pdf
      82.5 KB · Views: 192

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    The only place I found to do ink prints is Carroll County Sheriffs Office. They do it from I think 9-3 Tuesdays only and it only costs 5 bucks per card.

Who have you contacted that said no?

I really need to get off my ass and do this. My paperwork has been on my desk for about a year now.

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    I believe that means a livescan transmission. Printing from a scan on your fingerprint cards might be ok. Why not email VSP and find out?

nonrespermitquestions@vsp.virginia.gov

Here is a checklist. Only bad part under fingerprints is the word impression. But maybe a printout of the scan is acceptable as well. A scan is a copy of an impression. I'd email for clarification. They usually answer promptly.

From the web site:

I did email them. I asked if livescan could be scanned onto a fd-258 card or if it has to be ink. All I got back was " We require the fingerprints to be put on the fd-258 card. We do not accept electronic fingerprints" It seems very vague to me. I may call them today to see if I can get livescan done

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well if you get your fingerprints on the card by Livescan printing, it seems to me you have complied with the part where they they state:
    We require the fingerprints to be put on the fd-258 card.
    Best to ask for clarification

Last edited:

garyad

I did email them. I asked if livescan could be scanned onto a fd-258 card or if it has to be ink. All I got back was " We require the fingerprints to be put on the fd-258 card. We do not accept electronic fingerprints" It seems very vague to me. I may call them today to see if I can get livescan done

Livescan will print them on the fd-258.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    They also require the prints to be taken by LEO, signed for, and have LEO phone number on the card. Is there a location that a LEO will print onto the card, and sign the card?

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    hmmm i'm in hotrods boat... i have the paperwork.. just need to fill out and get fingerprinted...

how much does laurel PD charge? specific hours? days?

Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    Im attempting to get all my paperwork straight now but cannot find anyone that still does ink fingerprints anywhere close to me. Any clue to help me out. I live in Cambridge. I have tried MSP, local sheriffs office and local PD's in a small radius to Cambridge. Everyone is doing live scan and they cannot be used.

I drove to Laurel. For $15, they did the electronic scan then printed the cards for Virginia and Florida. I haven't been rejected for the cards yet, but will let you know if they are returned!

For Utah, I went to Worth-a-Shot in Millersville and was ink printed at the shop as part of the course. Those prints weren't as good, but were ink - so I guess we'll see!

Last edited:

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    The email I got from the sr supervisor said that they do not accept electronic finger prints? I assumed that meant the live scan. Maybe I read into that wrong

I had my finger prints done at the VA State Police headquarters in Richmond VA where the licensing division is based. Walked in, Handed them my FBI card with my drivers license. They took me to a processes room where they used a live scanner fingerprint system to log my prints into the computer and then printed them out on my card. I slide the card into my Envelope and sealed it with the rest of my complete application. Then handed it to the kind officer and said "Send this on up."

widowman

Jul 19, 2010

I also had problems finding local maryland police departments that did fingerprinting. Some of the local stations no longer offered the service while others did it once or twice a week for only a few specified hours.

I just bit the bullet and went to the closest VA police barracks and had them do it. The trooper was really cool and the process was actually an enjoyable experience (minus the drive). I realize that Cambridge is much further than where I was coming from but if you go to a VA state police barracks then chances are that there won't be a problem which would delay your application.

Keep in mind to make sure that whatever department does your prints to make sure that the sign, date and include their address, phone number and department stamp. I noticed when I was back on the road that they neglected to put their stamp and phone number. Luckily I was still close.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I drove to Laurel. For $15, they did the electronic scan then printed the cards for Virginia and Florida. I haven't been rejected for the cards yet, but will let you know if they are returned!

For Utah, I went to Worth-a-Shot in Millersville and was ink printed at the shop as part of the course. Those prints weren't as good, but were ink - so I guess we'll see!

I wouldn't worry about cards being rejected as you can see I have already gotten Florida back and also recieved the we're processing your permit but it's now taking 3 months.

Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    First timer here. Fingerprinted in Laurel with Livescan and fingerprint card was printed. App semi in Jan 24 and just came back today, Apr 6.

So, the Livescan to printed card is accepted in VA for nonresident.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    sweet! taking the utah course (UGH, why cant it be like VA or FL for vets) next week

and going to laurel on monday to get it done for VA

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn

interesting for 15 they do electronic scan?

according to http://www.cityoflaurel.org/content/fingerprinting-services

you have to bring your own card... but i guess you just need your ID?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom