• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And I'd been out shooting my little rifle in and I... Somehow I just want to tell you about the little Capps' boy. And I said... And Joe, I'll just have to give him the rifle, because he can out-shoot me. We'd got it shot in, and I was driving tacks at fifty yards, and I said to Joe... Joe said, "Daddy, I believe I could do that." (Poor little fellow had had a headache. I'd been praying for him, a high fever. He went out to the range with me...) Any two over ten bore in a twenty-two rifle, if it crosses its line of fire at twenty-five yards and then again at fifty, just the same if it was two over ten. So then, I had shot it in at twenty-five yards. And so I had two more tacks and I put them up, and if Joe didn't drive both them tacks! I didn't have no more tacks, so I put a little bit a piece of old clay pigeon that had been bursted there---what trap shooters shoot at---just about a quarter of an inch across---and took it out on fifty yards, and he cut it half in two. And the scope was set for my eyes---just a few years older than he was! So he said, "You know what? I've got to go by and tell Billy to keep off of my feet from now on."
    Thanks for that. Do you know what he was talking about? I'm still not following it.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    It sounds like an old timey way of saying if you sight your .22 rifle in at 25 yards (near zero) it will also be zeroed at 50 yards (far zero). That fits with the rest of the story.

Not exactly true since it depends on bullet speed and "height of eye" but maybe there was less variety back in the old days.

I think the "two over 10 bore" just refers to 2/10 = 0.2" (~0.22").

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It sounds like an old timey way of saying if you sight your .22 rifle in at 25 yards (near zero) it will also be zeroed at 50 yards (far zero). That fits with the rest of the story.

Not exactly true since it depends on bullet speed and "height of eye" but maybe there was less variety back in the old days.

Mystery solved!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

I’m gonna call it the 1 over 5 bore.....

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The term still makes no sense.

Actually the entire piece reads like broken gibberish badly transcribed from a bad Dictaphone recording by a person who doesn't speak English well.

I doubt the original speaker ever said "two over ten." More likely he said something else, perhaps technical or firearms jargon, which the transcriptionist got wrong.

In fact, as I struggle to write this on my stupid phone, it reminds me of the nonsense produced by Autocorrect. Instead of suggesting the obvious correction, the Autocorrect on my phone consistently supplies gibberish similar to the "two over ten" example which has so tormented the Original Poster in this thread.

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Two over ten with 22 and 25 yards probably has something to do with Redfield sight graduations.
    Era Redfield micrometer sights have differing graduations on the scale than Lyman sights.
    Micrometer sights are equipped with either 1/4 or 1/2 grads dependent on sight radius and distance to the target.
    The shooter may have been repeating a saying or ROT to remember data on proven engagements from 75 feet to 150 feet for whatever he was shooting in his rifle at the time.
    50 yards is the benchmark for zeroing sights for 22 rifles or was and still is with some shooters even today.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Two over ten with 22 and 25 yards probably has something to do with Redfield sight graduations.
    Era Redfield micrometer sights have differing graduations on the scale than Lyman sights.
    Micrometer sights are equipped with either 1/4 or 1/2 grads dependent on sight radius and distance to the target.
    The shooter may have been repeating a saying or ROT to remember data on proven engagements from 75 feet to 150 feet for whatever he was shooting in his rifle at the time.
    50 yards is the benchmark for zeroing sights for 22 rifles or was and still is with some shooters even today.
    Since the OP's quote was word-for-word the same as the wording in the transcription of the 1965 sermon referenced above, and in that discussion the preacher said the scope was set for his eyes, so I don't think he was talking about micrometer sights.

As Treeband noted above, there could be a transcription error. The preacher could have been referencing 2" over *the* bore (as his scope height), or 2" over *center* bore, rather than 2 over *ten* bore, in which case an 1100 fps 40 gr .22lr round with a 25 yd near zero would have a 50 yd far zero.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    From that image it looks like it's going up then down. That's an odd trajectory.
    All modern ammo uses bullets with tiny little wings that pop out, giving them initial lift which is called muzzle velocity, and then because the bullet is spinning the wings come off. This usually happens at fifty yards, and the wings fall at what is called terminal velocity. The bullet then starts to head back down after it loses the little wings, which is less efficient but is aided by gravity so the two forces combine, which is called the ballistic co-efficient. Hope this helps.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Since the OP's quote was word-for-word the same as the wording in the transcription of the 1965 sermon referenced above, and in that discussion the preacher said the scope was set for his eyes, so I don't think he was talking about micrometer sights.

As Treeband noted above, there could be a transcription error. The preacher could have been referencing 2" over *the* bore (as his scope height), or 2" over *center* bore, rather than 2 over *ten* bore, in which case an 1100 fps 40 gr .22lr round with a 25 yd near zero would have a 50 yd far zero.
    OK then, maybe a micrometer adjusted scope was the sighting mechanism.
    I didn't see the word scope mentioned in the original post though however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom