• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thofer

Oct 5, 2023
    Custer wa
    Here is an article that explains the idea for a 223.

Basically it is a concept based on the ballistic curve of the projectile. The bullet begins to drop as soon as it leaves the barrel. So you angle your rifle up. So for the 22 you zero your rifle sights so that at 10 yards it hits the target 2 inches high. The bullet will then follow a parabolic curve going up and then crossing the zero at 50 yards.
    He mentioned bore. Is this a sight height over bore question? Scope 2" up over 10" of barrel? Seems odd. Or maybe scope objective diameter math to get the right height scope rings? Can the OP shed more light on the context of the 2 over 10 question?
    I don’t know what more to add accept after inquiring locally for some years of anyone who might be in the know i posted the question on this chat hoping someone will be able to shed some light on it..meaning behind the statement ( two over ten bore ). I feel someone in chatlandia will solve the issue..

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So you half-heard a garbled comment 60 years ago and it's been bugging you ever since?

I suspect your memory of the wording may be off, or you misheard. "Two-over-ten" really doesn't mean anything.

You don't happen to have a Dictaphone recording of the actual comment, do you?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    This term is nonsense. It may have been “evolved” from the real term to this unclear version over the decades.
    435680F1-DA2A-483E-9786-74FE97BB3006.gif

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Are we sure this isn’t about shotguns and regulating double barrels, whether SxS or O/U? Just thinking that if in 1960’s it wasn’t discussing 25/200 yd zeros.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Are we sure this isn’t about shotguns and regulating double barrels, whether SxS or O/U? Just thinking that if in 1960’s it wasn’t discussing 25/200 yd zeros.

Or as in .22lr over .410 bore? Like say a Savage Model 24 for instance?

Just spit balling. Grabbing at straws here for something that might make sense.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I’m still trying to figure out how “2 over 10 bore” quickly became a discussion about a 25 / 200 yard battle zero?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville

Yes that could be as well. Had one of those as a kid. Wish I still had it. The selector broke on mine so .22 would not work.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Nah. He was talking about his kids. He had two, over ten. :outta her

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    How bout an excerpt? That's a lot of reading there boss...
    And I'd been out shooting my little rifle in and I... Somehow I just want to tell you about the little Capps' boy. And I said... And Joe, I'll just have to give him the rifle, because he can out-shoot me. We'd got it shot in, and I was driving tacks at fifty yards, and I said to Joe... Joe said, "Daddy, I believe I could do that." (Poor little fellow had had a headache. I'd been praying for him, a high fever. He went out to the range with me...) Any two over ten bore in a twenty-two rifle, if it crosses its line of fire at twenty-five yards and then again at fifty, just the same if it was two over ten. So then, I had shot it in at twenty-five yards. And so I had two more tacks and I put them up, and if Joe didn't drive both them tacks! I didn't have no more tacks, so I put a little bit a piece of old clay pigeon that had been bursted there---what trap shooters shoot at---just about a quarter of an inch across---and took it out on fifty yards, and he cut it half in two. And the scope was set for my eyes---just a few years older than he was! So he said, "You know what? I've got to go by and tell Billy to keep off of my feet from now on."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom