• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    Damn! Sorta wish I would have had the chance to wish him well. Like so many others here, I always left a show with something he had for sale. I've been buying from Skip at shows since - I'm guessing 1990 or so....in MD and PA.

Here's hoping he'll do a few shows from time to time!

Anybody know where he's from?

R357

Jun 23, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    Gunshows won't be the same without him there.
    I'm surprised he didn't sell the business though, it would have been a neat one to see keep going.

BlindViper

Mar 15, 2007
    felton, pennsylvania
    TopHat was fun :)
    02-19-06_1037.jpg

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    He was a chararcter

He and that sign were always 2 things good you could count on at a show.:thumbsup:

:)
    I seem to remember a sign to the effect of
    "unless you can outrun something that moves 1000fps, don't steel from Tophat"

Like someone mentioned, his merchandise organization was challenging, but I always seemed to manage finding a few things I needed at a good price.

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    As soon as I saw this thread I wondered if he was at York. Glad to hear he is. I wouldn't know where to buy targets if he had retired. (Well, I would but it wouldn't be the same)

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I spoke with Tophat today and he said it NO. he doesn't know how spread the rumor but he was at the Frederick Show. took last week off and then ready for the York show. Great prices as usual.

Kudos to TOPHAT!!

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Hooray!!! That's great news, the world is back to normal!

And 100 years before the mast for the #%@*$ that started this rumor and got us all depressed.

ZHammer

Pythonidae Fan
    Jul 5, 2009
    Bel Air, Md.
    Someone asked him about retirement in front of me...well, apparently he's heard it all day long. Said it was starting to grate his nerves.

:patriot:

RAJay

Mar 8, 2011
    The Dena
    I read through this whole thread the other day. Obviously, the information was wrong.

It was funny though, because today was my first gun show. I was walking around in York and I saw a guy on a giant chair wearing a top hat. I thought "That's strange I wonder how many vendors wear top hats?" As I moved around the booth, I grew to assume that this was the "infamous" "retired" TopHat.

R357

Jun 23, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    Someone asked him about retirement in front of me...well, apparently he's heard it all day long. Said it was starting to grate his nerves.

:patriot:

Yeah he was sour on the subject when the doors opened this morning. But he did thank my dad and I for our purchases and ?jokingly? told us never to come back again.

You just can't find customer service like that anymore. I for one am, thankful that he is still around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom