• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    how is the walmart tomahawk

The only one I've used is the stone one on the far right to cut down a tree. Took about 3 times longer than a steel bladed axe and the handle cracked.
    For the price the SOG seems pretty strong but for strength nothing would beat a solid one piece tomahawk. As a general rule the higher the price the higher the quality but there can be exceptions.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA

Attachments

• 568566.jpg
      568566.jpg
      12.3 KB · Views: 321

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I really like the two in the middle WC. Not something I'd want for my bug out bag, but really nice design. The Viking style hand-ax is pretty cool too.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    As RMJ's official trainer I am a bit partial. As a matter of fact next month I am going to IL to teach a breaching class for EMS concentration on the hawk.

There is a need to get in and out of buildings and vehicle. You need a tool to do it with that you can easily carry. The design of the RMJ hawks, especially the Shrike an Talon have no equal when it comes to breaching. This is largely because of the sharpened beard with allows surgical cuts to laminated glass, and curve of the spike which will penetrate just about anything allowing you to pry. If you don't have enough leverage then slide a pipe over the end. Please do not try this with any other hawks.

For the last two years or so I have done my best at the request of RMJ to break, damage my hawk. I even hand it to other people for them to break it. No dice. I chop up cinder blocks, cut auto glass, even opened a trunk from the hinge side.

Oh, yeah, and you could hit someone with it too, I think a guy made a DVD about it. Some stuff for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI9dPX6Gc44&feature=channel

http://mail.myptsmail.com/mercop/blog/?p=613

http://mail.myptsmail.com/mercop/blog/?p=416

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm sold, where can I find the best price from the most reputable dealer?

When he started the demo on the 55 gallon barrel it stopped the show, literally.

Thanks for the vids!

For the RMJ? You'll probably have to order direct and there's a signifigant wait. Worth it, but a wait. I'm putting money aside now so I can order once I get some other things paid off.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    One tactical use of the spike is to flatten 4 tires on a vehicle you want to stay put. Four swings = four punctured sidewall.

Jerry

I can flatten 4 tires in half the time with a good set of pliers, nobody ever remembers there are valve stems.... :innocent0

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Bladeart has them sometimes. The majority of them go to those doing the lords work in distant lands.

I would not say this about any other knife or any other pistol, but when it comes to hawks if it is not RMJ it is second best. I will let anyone use my hawk to hit and pry anything, anywhere, anytime, knowing full well that they will try to break it. If you want a hawk to strap to your leg while fast roping off the space shuttle whacking tangos, or just to have one because they are damn kewl then just about any hawk out their will do. If you have one with the understanding that one day you may stumble across a accident victim stuck in a structure or vehicle and you need to get them out NOW, carry an RMJ hawk.- George

c-03003

Sep 6, 2011
    Fort Washington, MD
    walked in at walmart in la plata. they had the SOG Fasthawk for $20. Got it right away and plan to come back to buy a couple more on payday. Cheaper than most online sites.

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    I have the SOG's F01T-N Tactical Tomahawk I use for camping and the SOG's F06-N Fast Hawk that I keep in a BOB bag, the are great little tomahawk's for the money.

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    I got bored one night and went to working on an old Plumb hatchet with waffled hammer head.I ground down the waffle head,rounded the edges off the hammer and reshaped the hatchet by undercutting the bottom.Then took to grinding up the side a bit to age it stuck it in the oven @ 300 degrees and applied Birchwoods Plum Brown finnish 3X and a new Hickory handle about 18" and stained and finished off with tru oil.Once I figure how to download pics I will post em.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    :thumbsup: I keep a Gerber hatchet in my truck.

Very useful, decent quality, and cheap (<$50). May not be "tacticool", but if I chip the blade, I won't cry for a week.

Sport-Axe-large-5907.gif

Not sure how much breeching I typically do, or would do in disaster-type scenarios. In addition to various parangs and machete's, my Gerber camp axe has been one of my most useful tools in what you could say comes close to SHTF scenarios. In camping and after the hurricane, it was a godsend to have a light, easily carried axe that was still powerful enough to cut down trees and split wood for a fire. The back of it worked fine for a good hammer too. For my realistic needs, this is going to do the trick, for about $50. I'm not planning on hand-to-hand with a tomahawk any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom